PA Statewide P25 Phase 2 System

smorris

WX3PMC/WQWZ815/MOPA-27
probably using the global tac to be able to communicate across the whole system. New local talk groups might be site locked to certain regions and if a tech in Harrisburg won't be able to monitor unless they change the talk group permissions in the system.
I see. I thought that with a system like this you could access any TG from any site. Didn’t know they might be regionalized.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I see. I thought that with a system like this you could access any TG from any site. Didn’t know they might be regionalized.
There are many ways these P25 systems can be configured. I suppose "by default" if you didn't customize any of the configuration, then yes, all talkgroups and subscribers would be allowed to operate on any site/band. That works fine for a small system with few sites that everyone needs to be able to operate on, however for a large regional or statewide system, it can make for very inefficient use of precious channel resources. As the vast majority of VHF sites of the STARNet system are comprised of only 3 frequencies (1 control + 2 traffic = 4 voice slots), it wouldn't take much to quickly saturate a site with traffic that it doesn't need to be carrying. And thus, the admins almost surely restricted talkgroups to sites where they are actually needed for coverage.

In the end, it really doesn't matter what talkgroups DCNR is using for testing, it's all the same coverage regardless.

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
There are many ways these P25 systems can be configured. I suppose "by default" if you didn't customize any of the configuration, then yes, all talkgroups and subscribers would be allowed to operate on any site/band. That works fine for a small system with few sites that everyone needs to be able to operate on, however for a large regional or statewide system, it can make for very inefficient use of precious channel resources. As the vast majority of VHF sites of the STARNet system are comprised of only 3 frequencies (1 control + 2 traffic = 4 voice slots), it wouldn't take much to quickly saturate a site with traffic that it doesn't need to be carrying. And thus, the admins almost surely restricted talkgroups to sites where they are actually needed for coverage.

In the end, it really doesn't matter what talkgroups DCNR is using for testing, it's all the same coverage regardless.
If they are site locked their coverage might differ depending on where in their coverage area they are and what site they are affiliated to instead of the global tacs that use all the sites. If that makes sense, I've been up for 36 hours lol

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Seeing alot of activity today on PHL02 for this group. Guess I better set it to record. 18140xx RID's and clear P25

Based on some input from western PA, OSIG seems to be a likely agency...specifically the welfare fraud unit. Based on info online, they have three regions: Western, Southeastern, Northeastern. 13472 seems to be the dispatch channel for SE. 13466 seems to be the dispatch for W (identified over the air as WRO1). Based on what I have heard, they seem to have personnel rotate thru the “dispatcher” role when not in the field. All comms have been via portable.

PaMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Based on some input from western PA, OSIG seems to be a likely agency...specifically the welfare fraud unit. Based on info online, they have three regions: Western, Southeastern, Northeastern. 13472 seems to be the dispatch channel for SE. 13466 seems to be the dispatch for W (identified over the air as WRO1). Based on what I have heard, they seem to have personnel rotate thru the “dispatcher” role when not in the field. All comms have been via portable.

Then the TG 13477 BRAD31\41 affiliation, along with the 1814067 RID, could possibly be the Northeast dispatch. But it's all DT and no voice so far. And I haven't seen any 134xx on TIOG06 or SULL01, although TIOG06 does have a possible First Energy TG of 40047 with a 4200624 RID. Again, all DT and no voice. But the SULL01 and TIOG06 are difficult for me to get.

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
The LYCO01 700MHz site that was offline for a while seems to be back up and they're operating in the clear for some reason. I have a recording but the site won't allow me to upload MP3s.

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
All the traffic I heard was on Air 1 not the interop TGs.
I've heard Air 1, SW Air, and Interop's for Fayette and Beaver County all in the clear. I have not seen any PSP Helicopter ops channels on the StarNet system at the same time as the Air/Ground system. That will likely happen when they change the A/G towers into StarNet towers if that's what they choose to do.

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
I've heard Air 1, SW Air, and Interop's for Fayette and Beaver County all in the clear. I have not seen any PSP Helicopter ops channels on the StarNet system at the same time as the Air/Ground system. That will likely happen when they change the A/G towers into StarNet towers if that's what they choose to do.
Well since PSP is 100% encrypted on the new STARNet system we won't hear anything and to my knowledge they plan to keep the 700MHz system separate for the foreseeable future.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin

To be clear, all the PSP talkgroups on the P25 Phase 2 side are encrypted. I see Air 1 come up regularly on sites out this way, always encrypted. The clear comms referenced were on the Phase 1 system which is being removed from service along with the OpenSky.

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
To be clear, all the PSP talkgroups on the P25 Phase 2 side are encrypted. I see Air 1 come up regularly on sites out this way, always encrypted. The clear comms referenced were on the Phase 1 system which is being removed from service along with the OpenSky.
It sucks that they're removing it after spending all that money and it being in service less time than OpenSky. Plus they'll have no backup comms system then.

smorris

WX3PMC/WQWZ815/MOPA-27
It sucks that they're removing it after spending all that money and it being in service less time than OpenSky. Plus they'll have no backup comms system then.
I’m sure PSP, like other agencies, have a contingency plan in place in case of system down time. It wouldn’t surprise if they have the old analog radio plan programmed in all their radios alongside the phase 2 plan. PSP Stroudsburg operated on Ch B, which was simplex. The FCC license for the old Analog system doesn’t expire until 2025.

bearcat

It may depend on who they are communicating with. A week or so ago Trooper 6 came up on Starnet on the Beaver Co Hailing TG after the jail break in the Clear. All comms on there were in the clear air and ground. So there is some hope in certain situations

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
I’m sure PSP, like other agencies, have a contingency plan in place in case of system down time. It wouldn’t surprise if they have the old analog radio plan programmed in all their radios alongside the phase 2 plan. PSP Stroudsburg operated on Ch B, which was simplex. The FCC license for the old Analog system doesn’t expire until 2025.
I mean it doesn't suprise me with PA but it just seems like such a waste. They bought all those radios and invested in millions in infrastructure just to shut it off.