PA Statewide P25 Phase 2 System

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Thanks for the info. Would you consider Unitrunker to be the best software to monitor this system? Is it difficult to use?

I am hardly an expert, but I find it pretty easy to use. There is a lot of info in the forums and the wiki that you can use to guide you along. That's what I have done.

Railbender

Premium Subscriber
This morning in the Corry area of Erie Co I was getting TG 65535 from the Garland site, NAC 942 & 943 also got TG 10012 which appeared to be encrypted.

radio3353

Four towers are online...one in Dauphin and three in Warren. Coverage will be expanded to the entire NW area later this year. From there, expansion will move into SW PA and then to SC PA. After that, SE PA, NE PA, and finally, NC PA. The rollout is a five year plan ending in 2022.

One must be quite patient in this hobby :wink:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I hate to be Debbie Downer, but I wouldn't get my hopes up that just because the commonwealth is eventually going to migrate from OpenSky to P25, that means that you'll once again be able to listen to the PSP and others.

The chances of them going back to operating "in the clear" on P25, now that they've been on a closed system for many years, are probably pretty low. They've gotten quite used to being able to operate without the public having the ability to monitor them, and once agencies get a taste of that, they tend not to go in reverse.

It's very easy for them to use something like the Eric Frein manhunt as an example of how encryption provided OPSEC and allowed them to communicate without fear of him monitoring them.

All I'm suggesting is to not raise your expectations, and don't run out to buy a $500 scanner solely for this new system. I hope one day you can all say that I was dead wrong, but my hunch is that this system is going to be largely encrypted end-to-end, save for maybe some interop/interagency talkgroups.

scan-pa

RRDB Admin
Database Admin
From what I have been told and reading, it will be Fully strapped Encryption on All PSP And PEMA Talk Groups.

Lebanon County is planning there p25 p2 system the same way...

I have yet to see any clear voice TG on the PSP testing from the Dauphin County site.

But we will see soon enough.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
From what I have been told and reading, it will be Fully strapped Encryption on All PSP And PEMA Talk Groups.

Lebanon County is planning there p25 p2 system the same way...

I have yet to see any clear voice TG on the PSP testing from the Dauphin County site.

But we will see soon enough.

Presently, PEMA talkgroups are used or monitored by a number of state and county entities. If they actually encrypt everything, that would require a large number of radios to have encryption in order to maintain the same level of interoperability and situational awareness that there is currently among agencies. Seems like a bad idea to me....

scan-pa

RRDB Admin
Database Admin
Well, only thing to report, Signal strength from the Dauphin County Site went from an s-3/s-4 to S-9+ for me today here in Lebanon County. Even with the portable, signal strength is now maxed out on the meter. Still no Voice / Clear p25 Voice heard.

scan-pa

RRDB Admin
Database Admin
Pennsylvania Statewide Radio Network
PA-P25: Overview and Fact Sheet
Infrastructure: 85 VHF sites, 30 800 MHz sites
Fully Operational: 06/30/2021 (Final Statewide Acceptance)
On October 3, 2016, the P25 Land Mobile Radio (LMR) contract
was awarded to Motorola Solutions to upgrade from a proprietary
technology to P25 public safety open standards. The cost to
upgrade the statewide land mobile radio infrastructure is $44.5
million. All previous investments in high profile radio towers and
the statewide microwave network will continue to be leveraged.
Due to procurement delays, the effort to upgrade the LMR was
delayed. However, this project remains a priority for the
Commonwealth and is on an aggressive timeline.
Pilot I
Pilot 1 Detailed Design Review Completed
Pilot 1 Approval of detailed design documentation Completed
Pilot 1 Completion of staging Factory Acceptance Test Completed
Pilot 1 Delivery of equipment and software to PA Ongoing
Pilot 1 Installation, programming, and coverage test 01/20/2017
Pilot 1 Start of 60-day Proof of Concept Test 04/02/2017
Final Acceptance of Pilot 1 06/30/2017
Pilot II
Pilot 2 Approval of detailed design documentation 07/01/2017
Pilot 2 Completion of staging 07/15/2017
Pilot 2 Delivery of equipment and software to PA 08/16/2017
Pilot 2 Installation, programming, and coverage test 08/20/2017
Pilot 2 Start of 60-day Proof of Concept Test 10/04/2017
Final Acceptance of Pilot 2 12/30/2017
As of January 2017: The Statewide Radio Network Division’s P25 project team has completed a Critical Design Review as
well as Staged Acceptance Testing, and is now installing the Pilot 1 radio network in Warren County. PennDot and DCNR
will be participating with PSP in the Pilots. New P25 antenna systems have been installed at Pilot sites including the
addition of a test site in Dauphin County, at no additional cost. Vehicular radios and handheld portables radios are being
deployed for Pilot I rollout with a target completion date of June 30, 2017.
Pilot 2 is scheduled for July – December 2017 in Erie, Venango and Crawford Counties.
In January 2018, STARNet intends to deploy P25, in Mercer, Butler, Armstrong and Beaver Counties and then work south
towards Pittsburgh. In subsequent years, deployment will occur in southern Pennsylvania and work eastward and the
project will conclude in the northern tier by June 2021.
STARNet works with counties who are building new land mobile radio (LMR) systems and request to use Commonwealth
towers. With the advent of P25, counties are expressing interest in joining the statewide radio network rather than
constructing their own LMR systems.

for the full PDF file: www.psp.pa.gov/About Us/Documents/PA-STARNet_Fact_Sheet_2-13-17.pdf

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
I was in Cumberland County today. All encrypted traffic on the Ellendale site.

One talkgroup was active: 10132 with 168 hits while I was running Unitrunker from around noon to 16:30.

The following RIDs showed up on the above talkgroup:

scnrfrq

Premium Subscriber
An Erie County license was issued a few weeks ago for the tower at the county dispatch center on Flower Road.

ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Trunked License - WQWA746 - PENNSYLVANIA, COMMONWEALTH OF

You might want to try 151.4150 and 159.3675 every now and then.

I need to decide whether to buy a new scanner to try to hear this now or wait. If it all turns to be encrypted, I might be out of luck.

Also, in the license file you reference, it shows "application withdrawn" on 4/12. I wonder what that means?

druhe

Premium Subscriber
I need to decide whether to buy a new scanner to try to hear this now or wait. If it all turns to be encrypted, I might be out of luck.

You can use any analogue scanner for testing a frequency. When the frequency is active you will hear a buzzing sound. This will at least tell you that you are in the coverage area.

Railbender

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if I could hear the testing in Warren County from my location in northern Erie County by the lake, with no outside antenna?

Probably not. I cannot get it at home even with an outside antenna with the amp on. Mobile I start getting it on Station Rd a couple miles west of Rt 89.