PA Statewide P25 Phase 2 System

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
The Kenwoods are likely single band VHF as the radio configuration would not allow roaming from one band to another, the radios are seperate chassis and user IDs. And yes PSP using Motorola multi-band, we've seen codeplugs already confirming that.

Audiodave1

Database Admin
Seeing more regular affiliations of the 32xxxxx RID's on the 302xx TG's.
Suspected Federal users. Newtown, Pocopson is where I have been running Unitrunker lately.

Plenty of Delco PENDOT affiliations are being seen locally also.

EMT1301

Premium Subscriber
I logged RID 1814036 on TGID 13469 on Site 1.39 (SOME02/Bald Knob) yesterday morning at 09:25. I didn't hear what the audio was, though.

u2brent

OAMPT
Seeing more regular affiliations of the 32xxxxx RID's on the 302xx TG's.
Suspected Federal users. Newtown, Pocopson is where I have been running Unitrunker lately.

Plenty of Delco PENDOT affiliations are being seen locally also.
:unsure:

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
I’ll see if I can get over to his place this weekend and molest it for a bit and see what model it is , etc
From what I've been told it all depends on where the PennDOT district is on whether they use dual or single band radios. For example they are most likely dual band in the metro areas like Harrisburg, Philly, Pittsburgh and Erie and the rest of the state is most likely single band VHF radios. At least that's what I was told by the shop that did some radio work for me when I asked them.

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
From what I've been told it all depends on where the PennDOT district is on whether they use dual or single band radios. For example they are most likely dual band in the metro areas like Harrisburg, Philly, Pittsburgh and Erie and the rest of the state is most likely single band VHF radios. At least that's what I was told by the shop that did some radio work for me when I asked them.
This is a Montco district, which in this particular area, there isn't a real close tower. The one thats at their " HQ" is still on Broken sky , per the FCC database. It seems like Western Montco and Berks County seems to be lacking any real coverage.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
This is a Montco district, which in this particular area, there isn't a real close tower. The one thats at their " HQ" is still on Broken sky , per the FCC database. It seems like Western Montco and Berks County seems to be lacking any real coverage.

The trouble in that area is that the Port Clinton, Graterford, and Morgantown tower sites provide mobile coverage which is what the contract specs call for. However, since none of those are really that close, the portable coverage is lacking and the scanner reception is going to be poor without an external antenna at home or mobile. It's possible they could convert a site on Mt Penn from OpenSky to P25, but that is not guaranteed...especially since the mobile coverage appears adequate. If so, it would likely recycle the 800MHz frequencies in use. Time will tell.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
At about 0830 this morning, I heard an announcement that said DCNR D19 was now online. Lots of testing on Global Tac 5 as well as D19 TG's.
Just to clarify, DCNR D19 Swiftwater dispatch was "online" for testing purpose; they have not cut over to the new system yet. They gave the same announcement last week before testing for a few hours on Tac 5.

bearcat

The trouble in that area is that the Port Clinton, Graterford, and Morgantown tower sites provide mobile coverage which is what the contract specs call for. However, since none of those are really that close, the portable coverage is lacking and the scanner reception is going to be poor without an external antenna at home or mobile. It's possible they could convert a site on Mt Penn from OpenSky to P25, but that is not guaranteed...especially since the mobile coverage appears adequate. If so, it would likely recycle the 800MHz frequencies in use. Time will tell.
I actually heard a radio tech sometime ago state "I am not going to track down complaints regarding handheld coverage"

bearcat

I spent a significant amount of time in Westmoreland Co. and Washington Co. this summer. I saw many PennDot trucks and they only had VHF antennas. Some 1/4 wave and some 5/8 wave but nothing to indicate multiple bands. All of the PennDot trucks around Allegheny Co have tri/dual band style antennas.

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
I actually heard a radio tech sometime ago state "I am not going to track down complaints regarding handheld coverage"

Maybe that radio tech should strap on a vest , badge and gun himself and see how it feels to not have radio coverage when SHTF and he needs backup and his portable doesn’t work.........

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber

It really lack decent coverage for the far Western park of Montco. The highest point in Montco basically runs N-S along the Rt.100 roughy around 500ish ft and you have the MTN’s just to the east in Berks.

No wonder you never see PSP on this stretch of 100 😂

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
DCNR D19 Whiskey units testing with Swiftwater dispatch on Global Tac 5 all morning and afternoon.
Just wondering why they don't test on their own talkgroups instead of using a random global tac? The other day somebody was on GT 1 then D19 on GT 5 and that automated voice on GT 11.

smorris

WX3PMC/WQWZ815/MOPA-27
Just wondering why they don't test on their own talkgroups instead of using a random global tac? The other day somebody was on GT 1 then D19 on GT 5 and that automated voice on GT 11.
I agree. You would think they would want to test on the channels they will be using full time.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
probably using the global tac to be able to communicate across the whole system. New local talk groups might be site locked to certain regions and if a tech in Harrisburg won't be able to monitor unless they change the talk group permissions in the system.