Pro 96 vs Pro 197 and trunking

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrequenC

Comparing a Pro96 handheld with a Pro 197 base
Checking the WIKI page it states that PRO 96 is compatible with only Motorola,EDACS,P25
Pro 197 on the other hand is compatible with theseTrunk Tracking systems Motorola,EDACS,LTR, P25 NAC
Are NAC and LTR critical to have
I live in Southeast Michigan, I am getting a great price on the PRO 96 however I would rather spend more money if these two other systems are critical to my area. I dont want to buy something that will not get the frequencies I need.

Thank you in advance for your opinions

Last edited:

mikey60

Comparing a Pro96 handheld with a Pro 197 base
Checking the WIKI page it states that PRO 96 is compatible with only Motorola,EDACS,P25
Pro 197 on the other hand is compatible with theseTrunk Tracking systems Motorola,EDACS,LTR, P25 NAC
Are NAC and LTR critical to have
I live in Southeast Michigan, I am getting a great price on the PRO 96 however I would rather spend more money if these two other systems are critical to my area. I dont want to buy something that will not get the frequencies I need.

Thank you in advance for your opinions

LTR is used more in the business than public safety, so if you're not all that interested in listening to that you probably don't need it.

P25 NAC is not really a tunking system. It's closer to CTCSS and DCS and performs much the same function for P25 CAI voice channnels.

Mike

KE4RWS

The Exciting World of LTR Trunking

I always found it strange why GRE didn't include LTR in the PRO-96/2096 models, as they were Radio Shacks' flagship models back in the day. However, I personally found I NEVER needed to listen to any LTR systems anyway because they were all local businesses. Most businesses these days just use cellular phones to contact their people anyway so it's not like there's anything to really listen to with an LTR system. But again, that's just my own opinion.

When I bought my PSR-600 I programmed the only LTR system in my area, which was Waste Management. After listening to it I thought "Wow, now I can listen to the garbage trucks in my area".

That goes to show you just how exciting LTR is . . . at least where I live. Your results may vary.

Randy

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
I always found it strange why GRE didn't include LTR in the PRO-96/2096 models, as they were Radio Shacks' flagship models back in the day.

Why is this strange? Were there many public service LTR systems in 2004 when this scanner was released?

In the DFW area, there is only 1 that I have needed and that one was not in service in 2004.

KE4RWS

Why is this strange? Were there many public service LTR systems in 2004 when this scanner was released?

In the DFW area, there is only 1 that I have needed and that one was not in service in 2004.

It's strange because, as I already stated before, a flag-ship $500 digital scanner that doesn't do LTR is a bit odd. Even though you may not need it, there are many who will. And yes, there were LOTS of LTR systems out there when the PRO-96 was released. The other strange thing is all the other less costly trunking (non-digital) scanners were capable of LTR. So the most expensive scanner of the day wouldn't do LTR but all the cheaper trunking models did? Oooookay.

Again, as I pointed out earlier, although it wasn't a big deal to me, no single person can represent what the rest of the scanner listening world wants to listen to. For example, just because I could care less about monitoring aircraft or even having the ability to listen to it doesn't mean other people won't want to. So when you buy a $500 scanner you would think it would at least cover those modes, ranges or even simple LTR trunking. I mean, it IS a trunking scanner after all.

Randy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.