Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• SOFTWARE.JPG
    SOFTWARE.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 376

ST-Bob

Premium Subscriber
Look, don't take this the wrong way OK...

When you buy cheap Chinese junk - you get cheap Chinese junk. What do you expect for $35? It appears to come complete with awful software and even more awful manuals. The software looks like the only stuff you'll easily be able to find and is probably about as basic as you'll ever find and full of bugs to-boot.

For using it as a 70cm Ham radio, it doesn't appear (from the picture you posted) that it has any ability to set up repeater offsets etc. I did read, however, that you can program them using Kenwood HT programming software - you might give that a try.

Good luck with them but don't be surprised if you get exactly what you paid for - a slightly better than FRS quality 5-watt radio with no support and no real good use as a Ham radio.

Personally, I would have purchased a Wouxun dual-band HT http://www.powerwerx.com/wouxun-radios/kg-uv3d-dual-band.html. At least they TRY to make it useful and even wrote an English (sort-of) manual for it.

Last edited:

Sinister

Premium Subscriber
Not familiar with your pic and software can you tell us what software and what radio you are trying to program ?

troymail

Silent Key
Did the radio come with a user's manual (or is it all in Chinese)?

From what you provided, it looks like you have the software to program a 16 channel FRS/GMRS capable radio.

Some of the options look pretty self-explanatory - like auto power off, etc.

VOX typically refers to the ability to use a headset/microphone where you can transmit by just talking (i.e. you don't have to push a PTT/push-to-talk button).

Squelch is just how strong the signal must be before the radio will accept it and you will hear someone trying to call you.

Emergecny alarm *could* be simply the ability to send or receive an audible indication that someone is calling you (like a doorbell).

Channel 16 (Scanning enable) sounds like the ability to program Ch 16 with a frequency that will be checked periodically even if that channels isn't the one currently selected.

It also looks like you can program the radio to be "receive only" (TX Forbid).

But these are all guesses......

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
ATTN: MadGameReviews

Please note that I have merged your duplicate threads here.

Do not post duplicate questions in multiple forums. I have moved all of your posts to the New User forum.

ATTN Moderators:
Some of the responses above were presented in other forums and got moved here, no action should be taken in reference to the stringent rules in reference to this forum on any posts above this one.

K9WG

For those of you that care:

I sent a message to the seller of that radio asking.

Dear mysunday668,

Are these acceptable to be used in Part 90 service? Will you please provide
the FCC certification number?

Thanks

-k9wg

And the answer (no big surprise)

Dear k9wg,

Dear friend,
Thanks a lot for your consultancy!
We have sold many items
170648516548 to US. there's no FCC certification number. I felt confused
about " Part 90 service",in order to help you better, could you say it more
clearly? thanks?
If any,pls email me and I'm always here for you!
Have a nice day!
Kind
regards,
Nina

So, for those of you who care......

Thanks!

For those of you that care:

I sent a message to the seller of that radio asking.

So, for those of you who care......

Thank you for checking that out..i really dont trust this seller but i was just going to buy a few as emergency back ups.

wb0wao

Definately not Part 90 certificated! However, if they meet FCC minimums, they can be used in the Amateur Service legally. I would second the poster who said to spend the extra money and get a Wouxun dual-band HT. The only two "brands" I would even consider would be the Wouxun or Puxing units as they seem to have reasonably decent QC and reviews.

As far as programming them, the screen the original poster showed was the "Options" screen and not the screen in which you program the individual frequencies. You have to program these types of rigs differently than "traditional" ham rigs - you have to enter both the TX and RX frequencies as well as any PL/DPL tones for both TX and RX. This is identical to the way that most Part 90 rigs - like Motorola - are programmed. I have to do the same thing with my GP-350, GM-300, and Saber Ie.

K9WG

Definately not Part 90 certificated! However, if they meet FCC minimums, they can be used in the Amateur Service legally. I would second the poster who said to spend the extra money and get a Wouxun dual-band HT. The only two "brands" I would even consider would be the Wouxun or Puxing units as they seem to have reasonably decent QC and reviews.
... snip ...
You are incorrect. Any commercially produced transceiver has to be FCC certified even if it is for Amateur use. In the case of amateur radio it is the receiver that is certified. Look at the advertisements for new Amateur gear just prior to the Dayton Hamvention. The ads will say pending FCC approval.

vx170.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.