Radio Feed Software drops IP at least once every 24 hours

kgowen44

Feed Provider
Hi all!

I am having an odd issues with radio feed software. My current set up includes:

2 SDS 200s plugged directly into a router.
1GB internet connection
Computer is on WiFi on same network
Radio feed is properly configured as far as I know.
The only non default setting I have is in the URL settings: "Restart Scanner after 5 minutes after loss of LAN Audio"
No evidence of IP conflicts.

Problem:
At last once every 24 hours, the feed will just drop. The red illuminating light on the URL icon will blink and feed goes totally offline. If I reset the scanners, they both come back an d stay up for another 15-24 hours before it drops again. SOMETIMES, if I reset my entire network, it'll stay online for a longer period of time, even achieving 3 straight weeks without a drop. In the last occasion, I did F/W updates on my routers and once it came back up, the issues surfaced again. Im certain that this issue is with the radio feed software. I emailed them awhile back and their solutions (Ones I had already done) have not worked.

I could probably ramble more, but this is a general idea. Anyone else experience this or similar issue? Thanks in advance.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I would check the following:
1. WiFi interference. Perhaps run an Ethernet cable from computer to the router, if you can, for a test to see if that's the cause. Google "WiFi interference" for a lot more on this subject.
2. Check your computer power savings settings.
3. Don't use AVG antivirus software as that will interrupt the TCP packets.

{edit} Also the Ethernet connection in the scanner is finicky. My test a few years ago indicated that if the scanner looses Ethernet signal for more then 60 seconds then the port will time out and the scanner will require a power cycle. Uniden could have implemented a watchdog timer.

I would also check or replace the Ethernet cables in case of an intermittent.

Im certain that this issue is with the radio feed software.
That's kind of like driving a car and you get lost so it's the car's fault. <grin>

Last edited:

gmcrash1

Premium Subscriber
I pretty well had the same problem for a long time. Then when i got rid of my cable and just kept my wi-fi i upgraded my modem and router and have not had any problems since.

hvytrucker

HvyTrucker
I would suspect your router. Most are set up to use DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol). Routers hand out IPs automatically to any device that tries to communicate and get online access. This usually works but nowadays with households that can easily have 20+ devices requesting IPs at any one time it sometimes causes a conflict between devices and windows just assigns new IPs. This keeps protocol keeps everyone connected but for software that depends on static IP, it will break the connection thus causing connection problems.

kgowen44

Feed Provider
Thanks for all the replies.
1. WiFi interference. Perhaps run an Ethernet cable from computer to the router, if you can, for a test to see if that's the cause. Google "WiFi interference" for a lot more on this subject.

{edit} Also the Ethernet connection in the scanner is finicky. My test a few years ago indicated that if the scanner looses Ethernet signal for more then 60 seconds then the port will time out and the scanner will require a power cycle. Uniden could have implemented a watchdog timer.

That's kind of like driving a car and you get lost so it's the car's fault. <grin>

IS there a setting that will automatically if it drop connection?

kgowen44

Feed Provider

1. WiFi interference. Perhaps run an Ethernet cable from computer to the router, if you can, for a test to see if that's the cause. Google "WiFi interference" for a lot more on this subject. I have checked and all is well... I did a pretty good job with Wifi channel selection, plus I am running on the less congested 5GZ wifi

2. Check your computer power savings settings. These are all off with no power settings in affect

3. Don't use AVG antivirus software as that will interrupt the TCP packets. None Installed

I would also check or replace the Ethernet cables in case of an intermittent. Internet cable are good CAT 7..

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all the replies.

IS there a setting that will automatically if it drop connection?
No. ProScan will keep trying to connect. The problem is if the scanner Ethernet looses signal after 60 seconds then it will require a power cycle. No way to remotely reboot the scanner via the protocol since the scanner Ethernet isn't responding.

Perhaps focus on the Ethernet cables and the WiFi RSSI and interference.

kgowen44

Feed Provider

I have set everything over to Ethernet only. I am still having this 24 hour or so LAN drop issue. I do not have AVG....
No WIFI interference currently-- Ethernet only
Power always on.

Any other ideas?