RadioReference Receives a DMCA Takedown Notice from Priority Dispatch Corp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ems55

Premium Subscriber
We've decided we're not going to remove the content. This letter was sent today in response.

April 19, 2022

VIA EMAIL: Simón Cantarero <Simon.Cantarero@prioritydispatch.net>

Priority Dispatch Corp.
Legal Department - J. Simón Cantarero
110 South Regent Street, Suite 500
Salt Lake City, UT 84111 USA

RE: Notice of Infringement Dated April 18, 2022
Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 (DMCA)

Dear Mr. Cantaroro:

RadioReference.com LLC declines your request to remove the content posted at the following URL:

Priority Dispatch Codes - The RadioReference Wiki

We would like to remind you that it is not legal, financially viable, or ethical, to claim that someone has infringed your copyright when this has not occurred. When you send a DMCA takedown notice that is both false and meant in bad faith, you have committed perjury. When filing a DMCA takedown request, your organization has a legal duty to consider fair-use of the materials contained in the above referenced URL.

Sincerely,

Lindsay Blanton
Chief Executive Officer
Good for you !!!!!

ems55

Premium Subscriber
We've decided we're not going to remove the content. This letter was sent today in response.

April 19, 2022

VIA EMAIL: Simón Cantarero <Simon.Cantarero@prioritydispatch.net>

Priority Dispatch Corp.
Legal Department - J. Simón Cantarero
110 South Regent Street, Suite 500
Salt Lake City, UT 84111 USA

RE: Notice of Infringement Dated April 18, 2022
Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 (DMCA)

Dear Mr. Cantaroro:

RadioReference.com LLC declines your request to remove the content posted at the following URL:

Priority Dispatch Codes - The RadioReference Wiki

We would like to remind you that it is not legal, financially viable, or ethical, to claim that someone has infringed your copyright when this has not occurred. When you send a DMCA takedown notice that is both false and meant in bad faith, you have committed perjury. When filing a DMCA takedown request, your organization has a legal duty to consider fair-use of the materials contained in the above referenced URL.

Sincerely,

Lindsay Blanton
Chief Executive Officer
Lindsay, ask them for the dispatch code for "STICK IT WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE " !!!!

imonitorit

There are a lot of people that don't seem to understand what the system is and how it is used. Also, the system and it's components are their intellectual property. There are competitor systems out there from APCO and PowerPhone (and maybe others) so they're protective.

The Priority Dispatch system has nothing to do with how things are said over the air. That is an agency problem. EMD/EPD/EFD are not CAD systems, they are caller interrogation protocols.

They regularly update the system with things like changes to questions or adding/removing questions. This leads to changes in determinant codes and what they mean.

That sounds like agency training problems. If the answer to a question is obvious or already answered, the question doesn't have to be asked. As far as responders getting the determinant code, that's also an agency thing. Our units will see the codes on their MDT but that's just because it is integrated into the CAD system. We never give the determinant code over the air or refer to it in any way, there's no point, the responders don't care. They just want plain English of what they are going for and that is what they get. At our agency, the determinant codes are linked to a response in the CAD to determine what units are to respond.

More agency/training problems. The first question for case entry on all 3 protocols is "What's the address of the emergency?"
Yes, location first. But the program won't let you look up responders and their status until you enter the code.
Not a "training problem", it's more like " show me who is available so I can get someone headed towards the call while I'm filling in the rest of the blanks".

tj20

This whole thing makes me 26-A-11. I know this will go the way of similar notices he has received. Would love to see the looks on their faces when it doesn’t go their way

icemantim8

Premium Subscriber
All day today, I have been suffering with 26-A-3. My VA doctor is scheduling some tests.....will advise when I am Code 4......oh shoot....I mixed in different patented code sources ;)

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
I think you underestimate how important these issues are to the owner of this business.

It would be a colossal waste of resources and time/money for Priority Dispatch Corp to pursue a DMCA Copyright claim against fair use of the ingredients of their protocol vs the chilling effect it could have on the entire business of RadioReference.

This is an issue of Priority Dispatch making a false copyright claim and extortion type money grab at as vs us protecting the very core of how our business operates. We are very well positioned and very well prepared.
Hence they will try death by a thousand cuts. They will not give up and make constant court battles out of this. You will win in the end, but they will make it cost you. And us, if it forces you to raise costs.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I'd be surprised if that code system was even in use very much by EMS. It's just too much to memorize for a busy EMS crew. In my neck of the woods, information transmitted between medical staff in the field and the hospital is generally limited to a brief verbal description, trauma codes green, yellow, and red, which are pretty close to self explanatory, and patient classes 1 thru 4, 1 being minor injury/complaint and 4 being dead. Plus of course, code 99, cardiac arrest in progress. And where applicable, GCS score.

Anything else that needs to be communicated gets a verbal description. Such as:

"Mercy, Hospital, this is Rescue 93 enroute to your facility with one Trauma Green patient. Patient is a heavyset female, 62 years of age, with no significant prior medical history. Chief complaint is a Lawn Dart lodged in the orbital ridge above the right eye, without ocular involvement, with a secondary complaint of a Victor rat trap on the first and second digits of the right hand, up to the second knuckles, with dislocation deformity noted in the right index distal phalangeal joint. Both injuries are the outcome of a Truth Or Dare type game at a family reunion party in Union Park. Patient is ETOH and surprisingly uncombative. GCS score is 456." "Mercy copies, Rescue 93. We'll get you a bed assignment after we all stop laughing over here. "

So how would you write that out in PDC codes?

KB1JHU

Yes, location first. But the program won't let you look up responders and their status until you enter the code.
Not a "training problem", it's more like " show me who is available so I can get someone headed towards the call while I'm filling in the rest of the blanks".

The program from Priority is ProQA and is it's own software package that can be linked to a CAD system. ProQA isn't a CAD system itself so it has nothing to do with units or their status. I can look at every aspect of things in my CAD while processing a call in ProQA, I just have to change windows.

W8KIC

Premium Subscriber
I have a hard time believing that any judge here in the U.S. will be able to honestly look straight into the eyes of this plaintiff without laughing hysterically as the court informs them that they lack standing on such utter BS as this. However, I was a staff employee for the Cleveland office of Jones Day for close to fifteen years and sadly, I can tell you that just about anything's possible in this insane atmosphere where civil litigation has become so ingrained in our culture where just about ANYONE can file a lawsuit over practically ANYTHING, including someone who's just broken wind within close proximity of where you happen to live! My best wishes to the crew over at broadcastify in the hopes that this little fishing expedition gains absolutely ZERO traction in the real world.

KB1JHU

I'd be surprised if that code system was even in use very much by EMS. It's just too much to memorize for a busy EMS crew. In my neck of the woods, information transmitted between medical staff in the field and the hospital is generally limited to a brief verbal description, trauma codes green, yellow, and red, which are pretty close to self explanatory, and patient classes 1 thru 4, 1 being minor injury/complaint and 4 being dead. Plus of course, code 99, cardiac arrest in progress. And where applicable, GCS score.

Anything else that needs to be communicated gets a verbal description. Such as:

"Mercy, Hospital, this is Rescue 93 enroute to your facility with one Trauma Green patient. Patient is a heavyset female, 62 years of age, with no significant prior medical history. Chief complaint is a Lawn Dart lodged in the orbital ridge above the right eye, without ocular involvement, with a secondary complaint of a Victor rat trap on the first and second digits of the right hand, up to the second knuckles, with dislocation deformity noted in the right index distal phalangeal joint. Both injuries are the outcome of a Truth Or Dare type game at a family reunion party in Union Park. Patient is ETOH and surprisingly uncombative. GCS score is 456." "Mercy copies, Rescue 93. We'll get you a bed assignment after we all stop laughing over here. "

So how would you write that out in PDC codes?

The codes are strictly to determine a response. Agencies that give them out over the air are weird.

Dispatchers/Call takers ask callers questions. How those questions are answered lead the dispatcher/call taker to a determinant code. Each agency/jurisdiction/local medical control determines what response is tied to that code.

There is a lot more to the system as well. There are various types of instructions in EMD for things like bleeding control, CPR, childbirth, escaping a sinking vehicle, etc. EFD an EPD have instructions for trying to escape a fire when trapped in a building or what to do in an active shooter situation.

Mark-Ohio

Premium Subscriber
There is a lot more to the system as well. There are various types of instructions in EMD for things like bleeding control, CPR, childbirth, escaping a sinking vehicle, etc. EFD an EPD have instructions for trying to escape a fire when trapped in a building or what to do in an active shooter situation.

Interesting. I would have figured dispatch (or PD already on scene) to make the initial judgement of what wheels needed to roll and then the chief or senior engine or squad member first on the scene would make adjustments as needed depending what was actually found on site.

This system kind of sounds like the system at fast food restaurants where the kid at the register just pushes the button with the proper sandwich name or picture and does not have to remember the price. Just much more complex. IDK, seems like another case of finding a problem and then charging a big price to fix when there really was never a problem to fix in the first place. But then again that way of business is probably what keeps over 75% of our government city, state, and federal employed. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

I haven't decided yet.

My legal counsel and I plan to first review their patents to see how much of this information is already publicly available in their filed patents. That's a first step.
This product is based on the rubric provided by the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration for emergency medical dispatch. You'll find a version of the NHTSA curriculum here. Obviously, the NHTSA framework is a federal work and is in the public domain. What Clawson did was come up with these response determinant codes and then a self-validation organization, an "academy," to provide an on-going endorsement of the product. Clawson also mugs for the camera whenever there is an emergency vehicle collision and is currently advocating for the wholesale removal of all traffic-moving equipment from ambulances. They've already created ministerial compliance for emergency medical dispatch with telecommunicators penalized for any excursion from the script. Other EMD systems are also following this practice for continuous quality improvement (CQI) audit, scored based on adherence to the script rather than ultimate patient outcomes within the EMS system as a whole.

In the real world, there may be a great deal of difference between what led the EMD down the rabbit hole and what the EMTs or paramedics find when they get there. Personally, I'm not a fan of their showmanship and the attempt to be "the authority" independent of the input of actual responder personnel. I am a proponent of EMS developing a body of knowledge that is unique from other health care disciplines or profiteers.

The fact of the matter is that several other EMD programs that have an equal efficacy rate as MPDS. Powerphone has one, and so does APCO. Really, anyone, including RadioReference, may develop their own EMD program as long as it follows the NHTSA guidelines and is signed off by a "medical director" physician.

See the Wikipedia entry for their framework that omits the specific determinants, but provides the framework without the exact materials. That seems to be acceptable to MPDS.

Good luck, whichever course you and counsel ultimately select to take.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
My previous comments, which included my usual approach of using humor to emphasize a point, still stand to make the same point, which is that no pre-formulated incident coding system is likely to be effective in all situations. I honestly believe that taking the time to figure out how to translate the particulars of the incident to a series of standardized codes would be nothing more or less than a waste of time in a situation where time can very much be the enemy and a limited resource. The very existence of this coding system absolutely reeks of "We can make a buck off this if we can sell it, even if it's a dumb idea that will eventually be abandoned once our dumb customers figure it out.".

Plain language descriptions seem to work just fine. And they don't require special training.

Sometimes there's no need to add a layer of complexity to a situation that can be handled well enough already.

As I recall, it wasn't so many years ago that FEMA recommended that police departments should adopt plain language rather than the use of 10-codes and signals when describing incidents, for the purpose of improving interagency interoperability.

That was sensible. And for a time some departments in my county started to use plain language. But someone decided it didn't sound "cool enough" so they went back to code-speak.

drbeede

Feed Provider
If you let them get away with this nonsense then next you will have individual public safety agencies sending you letters to take down or remove their frequencies from the database, even though you can look them up on the FCC database and it's all public access, where does it stop really next guy will want money for his frequency being broadcast on Broadcastify.

Status
Not open for further replies.