Reception is muted mid transmission randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.

imd

Have you submitted log files to Uniden to help them debug?

1) Power off
2) Hold the Avoid key, and keep holding it, while powering back on ... keep holding Avoid until your favorite lists load, and you hear three beeps
3) Menu -> Settings -> Set Debug Log Mode -> SD Card (File)

Then reproduce the issue you're experiencing. When done, return to the menu and turn debug logging off.

You'll then the log file(s) in the "debug" folder on the SD card.
Thanks! Some useful info finally.

baayers

Have you submitted log files to Uniden to help them debug?

1) Power off
2) Hold the Avoid key, and keep holding it, while powering back on ... keep holding Avoid until your favorite lists load, and you hear three beeps
3) Menu -> Settings -> Set Debug Log Mode -> SD Card (File)

Then reproduce the issue you're experiencing. When done, return to the menu and turn debug logging off.

You'll then the log file(s) in the "debug" folder on the SD card.

Unfortunately I wish I had thought to do this yesterday when I was traveling around and testing out my unit to see if the muting issue continued in different locations. At least from my own experience the only thing I can say for certain is that it occurs whether or not I am out in the middle of nowhere such as where I was last weekend or whether I’m in the city like I am now. The next couple of weeks for me at work are crazy but I will keep the directions in mind in case I do get the time.

I am not a fan boy by any standard but I do also realize that these radios are a new beast compared to the traditional hardware we have used for years. I am definitely staying optimistic that a software fix can resolve the issue and get things back to normal.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
Here is a follow up to my original issue.
I created a new video showing the muting as compared to a NooElec SDR.
The point of the video was really to show how there isn't much noise in my area that can contribute to the radio wanting to mute. You can also see the noise value on the scanner is low.

I'm now monitoring the frequency from a FL instead of Search mode to see if there is any change in performance. I'll reply again to this thread when I have enough transmissions to report either way.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I'm on the run right now so I haven't been able to read every single post here but I have a couple of questions. First of all have you tried any modification to mitigate the very noticeable hum that we hear? I don't think it has anything to do with the issue you are addressing but I was wondering if it was a before or after mitigation intervention. Just curious.

I'm going to assume you have tried everything with regard to a PL tone or DPL? I'm assuming you have as that would be the first place you would look for a problem with the type of issue you described.

The second question I would have is assuming that global filter is set to normal by default have you gone into the department of that channel and tried listening for a while on invert filter but you would have to change from global which is already by default normal filter in that particular Department. Or perhaps you have turned all the filters off globally or in that department already and in that case did you try first normal filter on that particular objects Department and then invert filter? I'm just asking because my sds100 had similar issues before the firmware update with the filters which have really helped to make my radio work much better once I was able to master them. Sorry for not getting a chance to read this entire thread and my apologies if I'm repeating anything that's already been done or said.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
I have not tried any modification yet to address the hum. I did order the Uniden part and will be installing that once it arrives

I am using Quick Search, so there is no PL/DPL setting

I tried all global filters. My first video shows me cycling through and having the same problem with all filters.

I will be testing today's firmware to see if that solves my muting. So far it seems my muting issue is only an issue on Quick Search. I've been using a favorites list for the first time today and haven't had a single issue with muting. As of now, I believe this is just a problem with Quick Search but like I said, I'll now start testing with the new software released 3/7.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Ahh, okay I understand. Just for future reference with these filters you may find at some point on some type of object that the filter invert or normal is the cause of the problem and things improve with no filter at all.

I always leave Global on the default which is normal and then I modify either the site of a system or the department of a conventional object. Glad to see it's not an issue on a favorites list at least.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
Glad to see it's not an issue on a favorites list at least.
At least right now that is my theory. Like I said, I've only been monitoring today with FL. So far it is looking good but it is too soon for me to say for sure this isn't an issue in the FL. Also - every channel in the list has a PL/DPL code so the radio knows what to do. I would like to create a FL without PL/DPL and see if the radio still has a problem. (of course this will be done after I apply today's FW update)

imd

At least right now that is my theory. Like I said, I've only been monitoring today with FL. So far it is looking good but it is too soon for me to say for sure this isn't an issue in the FL. Also - every channel in the list has a PL/DPL code so the radio knows what to do. I would like to create a FL without PL/DPL and see if the radio still has a problem. (of course this will be done after I apply today's FW update)
I have the problem regardless of using a FL or quick scan.

imd

I have the problem regardless of using a FL or quick scan.
Upgraded the firmware and can say, at least for the last 20 minutes of listening, it sounds pretty good. I can hear the entire transmission now!!

Joe_Blough

This thread came to an abrupt end. So was a firmware update the fix as imd stated? I would have expected others to chime in that it was the solution for them as well.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
This thread came to an abrupt end. So was a firmware update the fix as imd stated? I would have expected others to chime in that it was the solution for them as well.
I would have expected the opposite actually - people would continue to complain about about the issue and when a fix is coming. My SDS200 works flawlessly in a mobile environment (permanent vehicular install.)

GMB951

Premium Subscriber
So in thinking of getting one question is does the range control increase the range that the scanner will receive is it some kind of amp.

Status
Not open for further replies.