Scanner Screen software for 436 and 536

Status
Not open for further replies.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Just tried this run on the 436 and I still am hearing nothing through the PC just the scanner. Is this how it works? Giving us just a display and the ability to hear what channel is talking through Text to speech or is there something I have wrong here?

I also just tried it with the HP-1 again and it still will not connect to the program.

Thank you for doing this either way. I love new things to try out. Especially when they come at little to no cost.

FWIW: Which probably will not be much as these would be just over-sites on your part.

I'll assume you have put a check in the box for Speech before you run the program.

Is your windows mixer set to play "what you hear"? Others may work too but that is what mine is on and it works for me.

Is you PC audio turned on and the volume up to at least 50%?

Can you play other things through your PC and get audio? Is the audio Mute on your PC on?

Have you tried a different USB cable and is it plugged into a USB 2.0 port? I have read that some USB 3.0 ports are not always 100% backward compatible.

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
FWIW: Which probably will not be much as these would be just over-sites on your part.

I'll assume you have put a check in the box for Speech before you run the program.

Is your windows mixer set to play "what you hear"? Others may work too but that is what mine is on and it works for me.

Is you PC audio turned on and the volume up to at least 50%?

Can you play other things through your PC and get audio? Is the audio Mute on your PC on?

Have you tried a different USB cable and is it plugged into a USB 2.0 port? I have read that some USB 3.0 ports are not always 100% backward compatible.

Yup, I hear other things through the PC. Music, video etc...I use it daily. I have tried different USB ports and also tried different cables. I have checked the text to speech option but it only says the channel I am listening to when keyed up. I do not hear the departments transmissions through the PC at all.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Text to speech

:D I am running Windows 8.1 x64 on my HP Pavilion DV7 notebook with my 396t scanner and the program is working flawlessly, when using the text to speech I now am going to have to go into ARCPRO 396t program and clean up all my tag's so they sound sensible in the program.

Thanks so much for putting out a program that is so useful and makes scanning more interesting and enjoyable.
Steve

Houdini7

Premium Subscriber
Dafe1er, you will not hear the Radio's transmission through your PC. Only the Text data is sent. (and optionally converted to speech if checked)

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
Dafe1er, you will not hear the Radio's transmission through your PC. Only the Text data is sent. (and optionally converted to speech if checked)

Thank you. This is what I was looking for. OK, so this will be a nice work in progress I will keep following.

Thanks again for dedicating your time and putting out a free program Vonskie!

Working well on Win 7 using the BCD436HP.

Highpockets

New version of the program .04 tries to remendy the TTS problem that some encounter on large amount of text.

<see latest post for URL>

Just a thought, next time you upgrade the program can you add the version in the name of the file xxxxxxxx.v05.Zip so users can check the site to get the latest version. Or they will have to read this thread and check for your last update in the messages. Someone will add this to the Wiki with a link to the file and it will always show the latest version number.

Very nice job. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

forums manager

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Vonskie, I've merged your two threads and deleted the duplicate messages. Please keep this application confined to this thread. Thanks.

I would also recommend a better distribution method. The Wiki is a good resource to use. As people read this thread they're going to hit the earliest posts first while newer stuff is available in later posts, which will cause confusion.

Vonskie

Premium Subscriber
Vonskie, I've merged your two threads and deleted the duplicate messages. Please keep this application confined to this thread. Thanks.

I would also recommend a better distribution method. The Wiki is a good resource to use. As people read this thread they're going to hit the earliest posts first while newer stuff is available in later posts, which will cause confusion.

Thank you

t_shuffle

Based on a technical document I found the HP-1 does not support the GLG command, the commands are different. I do not have one to test on nor do I plan on buying one for a free program.

If UPman wants to lend me one I will get it working with the free program.

If you were near Sacramento I would loan you mine for a few days.

chuck_e7

Premium Subscriber
Error with TTS

strange what error message do you get?

It sez, [/O error, please disconnect cable and restart scanner. I have tried on two computers and with the 536HP and the 996XT. I know ur bustin' ur hump on this, it's not critical. You are ahead of the game!

Vonskie

Premium Subscriber
It sez, [/O error, please disconnect cable and restart scanner. I have tried on two computers and with the 536HP and the 996XT. I know ur bustin' ur hump on this, it's not critical. You are ahead of the game!

Interesting an I/O error means it is loosing its serial to usb connection for some odd reason. Check and make sure you have the latest and correct usb to serial driver for your scanner. I have not seen this one before.

Also check and make sure the cable is not damaged or loose.

Does it work for awhile and then quit?

If it never works check and make sure you are using the correct com port.

If you are having this issue on two different computers the only thing they might have in common is the serial driver or cable maybe one of thoses has an issue not sure.

Two other possibilities

Do you have another program running that is accessing the scanner like arc? Serial can only support one connection at a time program wise.

Also Check task manager and see if you have more than one copy of screenscanner.exe running. One may not have died off. If this is the case end the processes and relaunch it.

Also get the latest version of the program .05

One other thing I just thought of your computer may be set to go to sleep or suspend this would cause it to disconnect.

Last edited:

Vonskie

Premium Subscriber
interesting been developing on a windows 8.1 computer and no problems.

Then tried to run it on a Windows 7 computer and the TTS will fail within a few tries.

Strange. Let me know if you have this issue other people with Windows 7 had no problem at all.

chuck_e7

Premium Subscriber
I/O error

Interesting an I/O error means it is loosing its serial to usb connection for some odd reason. Check and make sure you have the latest and correct usb to serial driver for your scanner. I have not seen this one before.

Also check and make sure the cable is not damaged or loose.

Does it work for awhile and then quit?

If it never works check and make sure you are using the correct com port.

If you are having this issue on two different computers the only thing they might have in common is the serial driver or cable maybe one of thoses has an issue not sure.

Two other possibilities

Do you have another program running that is accessing the scanner like arc? Serial can only support one connection at a time program wise.

Also Check task manager and see if you have more than one copy of screenscanner.exe running. One may not have died off. If this is the case end the processes and relaunch it.

Also get the latest version of the program .05

One other thing I just thought of your computer may be set to go to sleep or suspend this would cause it to disconnect.

I have gone through all those iterations, I'm a Network Engineer by trade. I changed the cable also. The only thing I can think of is that the program may be seeing something that it can't process. Like I said, you are stellar with making this pgm, and it's not a big deal, nice to have but I think if someone elso were having a similar problem, it could be an issue. Don't lose any sleep over it. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.