Status
Not open for further replies.

BillyPayne3

Premium Subscriber
Considering purchasing a Uniden SDS100 scanner. Have some questions regarding if I will be able to hear frequencies in my local area. I live in Clark County Indiana. Will I need to purchase any special software upgrades in order to hear police, fire, & EMS frequencies in my area? Are any of my local frequencies encrypted to where I cant listen?

Also, how easy will it be to program frequencies on the SDS100?

tvengr

Well Known Member
Welcome to the forum! Clark Co is on the Indiana Project Hoosier SAFE-T statewide trunking system. It is P25 Phase 1. You will not need any upgrades to receive it. There are sites in Henryville and Charlestown. All of the Fire and PD talkgroups are open to receive except for one SWAT talkgroup. The Henryville and Charlestown sites use 800 MHz frequencies. The SDS100 excels with 700/800 P25 systems. You will not have any problems. Let me know if you get the scanner and I will send you a favorites list file for Clark Co that you can import into Sentinel, the free programming software that Uniden provides. Which of the 2 sites is closer to you?

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You should be okay. "Most" things are in the clear except for stuff like SWAT, Narcs, etc. No special upgrades are needed.

Programming isn't too bad, especially if you use just the full database. Building your own Favorites Lists is, like anything, something to learn, though there are some good YouTube videos on "How To".

BillyPayne3

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the forum! Clark Co is on the Indiana Project Hoosier SAFE-T statewide trunking system. It is P25 Phase 1. You will not need any upgrades to receive it. There are sites in Henryville and Charlestown. All of the Fire and PD talkgroups are open to receive except for one SWAT talkgroup. The Henryville and Charlestown sites use 800 MHz frequencies. The SDS100 excels with 700/800 P25 systems. You will not have any problems. Let me know if you get the scanner and I will send you a file that you can import into Sentinel, the free programming software that Uniden provides. Which of the 2 sites is closer to you?
Thanks. Im closer to Charlestown.

tvengr

Well Known Member
While waiting for the scanner, here is the link to download and install the latest version of Sentinel. Once installed, go to the Tools tab and set Target Model to SDS100. That will give you all of the settings that pertain to the SDS100 and give you a chance to customize the display the way you like it. I would use the detailed displays which display the quick keys which show you the favorites lists, systems, departments, and sites that you are scanning.

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
There is a site in Charlestown that I think might be a "fill" site - one that may cover a dead spot. I can hear Floyds Knobs very well at my home and when the wind is right, Henryville and Corydon, though I do have an outside antenna.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I noticed that Charlestown has fewer frequencies. I have both Henryville and Charlestown sites entered in the file. Thank you!

Triple6Ham

love to hear how youre liking the scanner, if youve received yet.
this one is on my list to get up and scanning here in NC

tvengr

Well Known Member
Please let me know when you get the scanner. I have the favorites list file completed for Clark Co. I will give you instructions on how to import the file into Sentinel and how to create a profile to write the file to your scanner. The file has Clark Co fire and police as well as Indiana state police.

tvengr

Well Known Member
While waiting for the scanner, You can get started with this:
Here are the instructions for importing hpe files into Sentinel. Save the attached zipped file to your computer in the Documents folder and extract. In Sentinel, go to the Tools Tab and set the Target Model to SDS100. Go to the File tab and click on Import from hpe file (Favorites List). Click on New Favorites List. Name the file State of Indiana and click OK. Find and highlight the extracted file (State of Indiana) in the File Explorer. Click Open. Click OK that the file has been imported. You should now see the favorites list in Sentinel. Go to the Edit tab and click on Edit Favorites List. Highlight State of Indiana and click OK. The Clark County system should be displayed. Click on the Options tab and set the FL Quick Key to 0. Go to the File tab and click Save. Go to the File tab and click Exit. That will complete adding the favorites list to Sentinel. Let me know when that is completed. Next, I will give you instructions on creating a profile to send the favorites list to your scanner.

Here are the instructions for creating a profile. Go to the File tab and click on New. Name the profile (You can use your name. If you program for others, you can create personal profiles for them). Click OK. Go to the Edit tab and click on Edit Profile. At the top of the screen, if Monitor Full Database or Monitor Search With Scan has a check mark, click on the box to remove the check mark. You should see your favorites list (State of Indiana). Click on State of Indiana to highlight it (It should be the only favorites list). Above the Favorites List Name heading, you will see Monitor On/Off and Download On/Off. For Monitor, click On. That will turn on both Monitor and Download. If you would see another favorites list, highlight it. For Download, click Off. That will turn off both Monitor and Download. Click on X (upper right corner) to close the profile editor. At top of screen, you will see (Profile Name) Updated. Go to the File tab and click on Save. That is a very basic setup. You can edit the profile later to do things like personalize the opening screen on the scanner. I also will have you create a profile for updating the database so that nothing is changed in the scanner when you write to it. We will work on that later. Let me know when you have finished with the profile. After that, I will go over writing to the scanner. We will be able to see what is on the statewide system for Clark County. Also, there are 3 departments in the file: Clark Co Fire, Clark Co Law, and Indiana State Police. They are all assigned quick keys so that you can turn each one on and off individually. Another lesson on that later. As set up, the Clark County system has quick key 0. You can add another 99 systems to the State of Indiana favorites list and control each one with quick keys. That's enough for now. Please let me know when you have finished importing the favorites list and creating the profile. I will give you instructions on how to write the favorites list to the scanner.

Attachments

• State of Indiana.zip
    1 KB · Views: 12

JohnnyGent

Banned
Banned
I got my SDS100 in July 2019, and was a little upset, however........ TODAY October 2019 figured out how to turn on back light for keypad! What a goof, don't how to love it more, but that sure worked! (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.