StarCom21 2021 Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
When they were first coming online I was seeing mixed encryption with the new Kane County talkgroups, but not anymore. Looks like everything will be secure, I can't find a transmission in the clear in the Unitrunker log for almost a month now on any of those talkgroups. Pretty expected.

TheAlmightyZach

Feed Provider
When they were first coming online I was seeing mixed encryption with the new Kane County talkgroups, but not anymore. Looks like everything will be secure, I can't find a transmission in the clear in the Unitrunker log for almost a month now on any of those talkgroups. Pretty expected.

That sucks.. Agree that it's expected, but sucks.. I've been enjoying KaneComm and QuadComm agencies being in the clear.. But they're joining the rest of the area by blocking out police.. Just as long as fire agencies stay in the clear, I'm good with it.

TheAlmightyZach

Feed Provider
I'd hate to break it to you but I've been told by a FF/EMT that QuadComm Fire & EMS will be fully encrypted within the next few weeks
I heard that originally, then I heard that they clarified and it will be PD only.. I guess time will tell.. I certainly hope that's not the case, I don't see how that is practical especially with out giving out encryption keys (or paying for everyone's radios to support encryption) to every agency that MAY need to come into their districts..

TheAlmightyZach

Feed Provider
I'd hate to break it to you but I've been told by a FF/EMT that QuadComm Fire & EMS will be fully encrypted within the next few weeks
I went back to my source, who states that ALL QuadComm TG's will be encrypted with the exception of 'FD Main' and 'FD Ops 2' (which is basically their FG Red). I was told this back in late January, so I'm not sure if that has changed over time.

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
I've seen quite a few TGs in the clear from them, granted more have been secure than not, but I do anticipate FD to stay clear.

I'm sure the mutual aid companies are just happy they won't have to switch radios anymore, and vice versa. Off the top of my head they were (are, I guess technically) the last VHF-only island left in that area. NWCDS maintains VHF as a backup but it's mostly only siren activation (I think for Palatine, not sure on that, I know Hoffman uses digital siren activation and I'm guessing that's the case in most towns) and occasional paging simulcasts from Fire 1.

TheAlmightyZach

Feed Provider
Off the top of my head they were (are, I guess technically) the last VHF-only island left in that area.

KaneComm fire agencies are also due to come over, though I've heard them on SC21 for McHenry County agencies. NERCOM Fire West is still on VHF, but sounds like they'll be ready to jump over soon too. They've had tones coming over Starcom for I want to say almost a year now, but sounds like some of the agencies have had some financial limitations with purchasing radios. I think most of QuadComm's mutual aid agencies have APX7000's or 8000's (or other manufacturer equivalents) that allow them to operate both on SC21 and VHF. Reason being is all FG is done via VHF still, so many fire departments have dual or all band radios, rather than single band 7/800.

Also, do you have any TGs for QuadComm fire? None have been input into the DB yet.

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
Also, do you have any TGs for QuadComm fire? None have been input into the DB yet.
Nope. There has been very little voice traffic so far, just a TON of affiliations, so I can't confirm anything. I'm *guessing* 11113 is going to be FD Main, but again, complete educated guess. PD Dispatch will more than likely be 11080. All TGs TDMA.

Edit: I should clarify. There have been plenty of key ups, but most of those have been only that, someone kerchunking the talkgroup and not saying anything (kerchunking can be a thing in the public safety realm too, right?). Unitrunker logs these as voice hits but there's no actual content to them.

ltginrage

TG 5791 on Kane Towers is clicking up the sds right now. So far 6 UIDs Logged. (461375, 461029, 461025, 461026, 261043, 461044). Sounds like Law Enforcement tactical talk. Their tracking someone that is driving in a multi-lane Rd. RID 461375 sounds like a Helo unit.

ILjim

Premium Subscriber
TG 5791 on Kane Towers is clicking up the sds right now. So far 6 UIDs Logged. (461375, 461029, 461025, 461026, 261043, 461044). Sounds like Law Enforcement tactical talk. Their tracking someone that is driving in a multi-lane Rd. RID 461375 sounds like a Helo unit.
I'm also receiving this TG on Site 1-002 and in the clear. I just got Unitrunker running to capture RIDs. Based off your info and what I'm seeing, it might some sort of Task Force TG.

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
5791-5805 are all federal talkgroups I've logged that due to the high amount of encryption can't really be identified. Encryption is mixed but far more secure than not, I would say 97% secure 3% clear.

I've wondered if one of these is patched to the 25 Cities system but I have no basis to back this statement up other than "huh, I wonder..."

Elpato

Premium Subscriber
Listening to kane county sheriff this morning... notice they don't have the MDC ID anymore when they key up.. guessing new radios have been distributed and are in use.

TheAlmightyZach

Feed Provider
5791-5805 are all federal talkgroups I've logged that due to the high amount of encryption can't really be identified. Encryption is mixed but far more secure than not, I would say 97% secure 3% clear.

This TG appears to be in the open based on radio traffic. I'd say some kind of federal or state agency is likely. Certainly is not a local agency.

MikeyC

This TG appears to be in the open based on radio traffic. I'd say some kind of federal or state agency is likely. Certainly is not a local agency.
Checking through my logs, I've seen mostly encrypted traffic on some of these talkgroups if that helps :)

5793 - RIDs 461xxx mixture of encryption (Seen on T113)
5800 - RIDs 461xxx ALL encrypted (Seen on T101, T102, T149)
5803 - RIDs 461xxx ALL encrypted (Seen on T101, T102, T113, T131, T149)
5804 - RIDs 461xxx ALL encrypted (Seen on T101, T102, T113, T131)

They MUST be some kind of law enforcement :) Looking at everything, I've logged the 461xxx RIDs on 01A, 02 ISPERN, and 06A going back to 2015

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know who TG 5792 is, they were in the open and in Joliet today .....

Status
Not open for further replies.