VIPER Statewide Radio System Discussion

BryanTheRed

Ø
Premium Subscriber
Has anyone heard of the RCA RPX4000 or the RPX6500 radios? They will do both phase 1 and phase 2 and I wonder if anyone has worked with any of these radios?
Unless I’m missing something I don’t think they were ever made in 7/800 mhz.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Is VIPER the primary source for all NC Police, Fire, EMS?

No, each department can choose a system of their own or to join VIPER, that said as far as I know each county has access to VIPER and has radio IDs and TGs on the system, as well as access to statewide TGs, even if they do not use them. Durham, Fayettville, Charlotte and Raleigh (Wake Co) are all examples of agencies not using Viper as a primary comms source.

Tobydog

To add a few more, Buncombe Co, Asheville, New Hanover, Winston Salem/Forsyth County, Johnston County, and a few more slip my mind.

GamecockSJ

In Pitt County all LEO is on VIPER, Greenville city fire/EMS is on VIPER, but county fire/EMS departments are on the county’s own P25 system. The county’s dispatches are simulcast on a VIPER TG.
It varies a lot throughout the state.

OnYourSix

NY --> NC
Premium Subscriber
We do not have our own VIPER TG's in our radios anymore. I am thinking you had to pay to be on this system so once we went to CAM we stopped paying?

No, each department can choose a system of their own or to join VIPER, that said as far as I know each county has access to VIPER and has radio IDs and TGs on the system, as well as access to statewide TGs, even if they do not use them. Durham, Fayettville, Charlotte and Raleigh (Wake Co) are all examples of agencies not using Viper as a primary comms source.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
We do not have our own VIPER TG's in our radios anymore. I am thinking you had to pay to be on this system so once we went to CAM we stopped paying?

While it is pay to play, I wonder how statewide TG usage works, such as EMS to Hospital or the LZ TGs for coordinating med helo landing zones, or the DPRR and HART. I'm thinking those are system costs the state covers, but don't know.

jthorpe

You don’t have to pay to use viper…. You have to buy radios but there are no subscription fees

This wiki page could also serve as a help with which counties are using VIPER and to what extent.

There are no user fees for VIPER but the subscriber equipment is the responsibility of the user/department. Every county has an allotted block of IDs, at least 6 talk groups (though they are allotted a block of many more-they may not have a use for or be using any more), & is supposed to have capability to use it in at least their PSAP/Dispatch center.

Chris0516

This wiki page could also serve as a help with which counties are using VIPER and to what extent.

There are no user fees for VIPER but the subscriber equipment is the responsibility of the user/department. Every county has an allotted block of IDs, at least 6 talk groups (though they are allotted a block of many more-they may not have a use for or be using any more), & is supposed to have capability to use it in at least their PSAP/Dispatch center.
How can I get the VIPER listing for my county edited?