VIPER Statewide Radio System Discussion

GMB951

Premium Subscriber
Fort Bragg down again up on viper will try to catch some more talk groups
Tg #61411 Bragg EMS #1 Dispatch

Last edited:

Tech21

We do not have our own VIPER TG's in our radios anymore. I am thinking you had to pay to be on this system so once we went to CAM we stopped paying?
False, viper is free to operate on as long as you have a radio capable of operating on VIPER. There is no subscriber fee.

Tech21

Date to mark on calendars.....July 2025. Anticipated date to flip the viper switch for phase 2 unless something major changes. Phase 2 will be fun. Glad I got my APX ready
It's going to be a busy time for programmers and counties. Even with couple years of warning and time to prepare, you're going to have some fire chief try to light up a storm because "he wasn't told" when his radios stop working when the switch happens.

drayd48

It's going to be a busy time for programmers and counties. Even with couple years of warning and time to prepare, you're going to have some fire chief try to light up a storm because "he wasn't told" when his radios stop working when the switch happens.
Good thing is that most departments are running APX or phase II capable radios already and you can’t add non phase II capable radios on the system anymore

Tobydog

All the trade groups should be getting notice of the change in plenty of time to make arrangements for switch. Since APX has over the air provisioning change would be very smooth in 2025. Hearing that radio orders are slow due to supply chain issues, know one locale that has been waiting 8 months and just got them.

Tech21

Good thing is that most departments are running APX or phase II capable radios already and you can’t add non phase II capable radios on the system anymore
At least it's gonna be a good time to touch radios that haven't been PM'd or updated since they've been put in service.

NCFireman11

Premium Subscriber
I've recently heard Highlands HEART helicopters (Ballad Health in East TN/SW VA) utilize the VMN MED Air TG for flights coming into Baptist Hospital. The comms are between Highlands flight control and the Highlands helos giving status reports or other pertinent info during the flight. Is this a TG utilized for any out of state medical helo or are others talking on this TG as well?

Tobydog

Common practice for med flights to have access to VIPER since NC has several major trauma centers to receive out of State transfers.

Tobydog

Check RR database under hospitals as the medical centers in NC have dec number assigned to each. Access is open to all EMS that have VIPER radios.

trumpetman

Database Admin
I think the surprise is at the use of the specific talkgroup rather than an out of state aeromedical service using VIPER. My understanding when the initial VMN system was created was for VML08 AIR MED DISP to be used as a bridge/intercom channel between the various flight watch centers and also allow for roaming helos to contact facilities if they didn't have said facilities primary channels (conventional or trunked). I have never heard traffic on VML08 and I'm not sure what centers have that as an available resource. I don't believe MedCenter Air Flight Watch or MAMA's Mission MedCom have it as they rely on their VHF frequencies still and I don't ever recall having seen that TG pop up around Charlotte or Asheville.

NCFireman11

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I realize out of state EMS providers may have access to VIPER. My question as Trumpetman stated was the usage of the VML08 AIR MED TG by other medical helos, in or out of state. The only time I've ever heard it utilized was by Highlands helicopters and Highlands flight control when flying a burn patient into Baptist Hospital.

trumpetman

Database Admin
VHF is for outside units. When Lifenet flies into CMC they talk to Flight Watch on 155.325 (91.5PL). Same for when Regional 1 flies into Mission they talk to MedCom on 155.385 (79.7 PL).

trumpetman

Database Admin
Do you know the status of the AirCare UHF repeaters for Baptist? I know all the WF birds use VIPER primarily but wasn't sure if the equipment was still available for use like the VHF stuff is for Mission & Atrium.

Yes, I realize out of state EMS providers may have access to VIPER. My question as Trumpetman stated was the usage of the VML08 AIR MED TG by other medical helos, in or out of state. The only time I've ever heard it utilized was by Highlands helicopters and Highlands flight control when flying a burn patient into Baptist Hospital.

NCFireman11

Premium Subscriber
Do you know the status of the AirCare UHF repeaters for Baptist? I know all the WF birds use VIPER primarily but wasn't sure if the equipment was still available for use like the VHF stuff is for Mission & Atrium.
I'm not sure the status of the Baptist UHF frequency. The one and only repeater is on Green Mtn in Alleghany County. I can't hear it at all in Winston-Salem but I think it's still active.