VIPER Statewide Radio System Discussion

BryanTheRed

Ø
Premium Subscriber
I've recently heard Highlands HEART helicopters (Ballad Health in East TN/SW VA) utilize the VMN MED Air TG for flights coming into Baptist Hospital. The comms are between Highlands flight control and the Highlands helos giving status reports or other pertinent info during the flight. Is this a TG utilized for any out of state medical helo or are others talking on this TG as well?
It was intended as a bridge between comm centers but it never caught on.
I think the surprise is at the use of the specific talkgroup rather than an out of state aeromedical service using VIPER. My understanding when the initial VMN system was created was for VML08 AIR MED DISP to be used as a bridge/intercom channel between the various flight watch centers and also allow for roaming helos to contact facilities if they didn't have said facilities primary channels (conventional or trunked). I have never heard traffic on VML08 and I'm not sure what centers have that as an available resource. I don't believe MedCenter Air Flight Watch or MAMA's Mission MedCom have it as they rely on their VHF frequencies still and I don't ever recall having seen that TG pop up around Charlotte or Asheville.
You are correct, when rebanding took place each comm center got an XTL consolette with the desk set and it was intended to remain on VML08, but again it never really caught on.
How do MedCenter Air and MAMA communicate with their base if they fly out of the area?
Our talk groups are zoned for state wide access.
What are they using VHF for then? Or do you mean that’s just for other systems’ helos to use if they’re inbound to Mission or CMC?
We give patient reports to CMC on VHF and it is also utilized by out of town vistors that do not have access to VIPER.
VHF is for outside units. When Lifenet flies into CMC they talk to Flight Watch on 155.325 (91.5PL). Same for when Regional 1 flies into Mission they talk to MedCom on 155.385 (79.7 PL).
Correct, also used for patient reports.
Do you know the status of the AirCare UHF repeaters for Baptist? I know all the WF birds use VIPER primarily but wasn't sure if the equipment was still available for use like the VHF stuff is for Mission & Atrium.
I believe it is still active. I hear them reference switching to UHF all the time.

BryanTheRed

Ø
Premium Subscriber
You should start hearing more of this type of stuff move to the new LZ channels as the state intends. If you're not familiar with them check this out.

Tobydog

It was intended as a bridge between comm centers but it never caught on.
You are correct, when rebanding took place each comm center got an XTL consolette with the desk set and it was intended to remain on VML08, but again it never really caught on.
Our talk groups are zoned for state wide access.
We give patient reports to CMC on VHF and it is also utilized by out of town vistors that do not have access to VIPER.
Correct, also used for patient reports.
I believe it is still active. I hear them reference switching to UHF all the time.
Per local radio shop contact Air Cares uhf freqs are still used for patient reports a lot.

BryanTheRed

Ø
Premium Subscriber

drayd48

Getting all NCSHP troops of the (TWC) Tower,been going on all day long ABCDE ect
Is there an event in the area that would be bringing lots of out-of-area law enforcement and state highway patrol in? When troopers travel, they like to listen back to their home area, which as we all know they can do anywhere statewide within the range of the system.

akalynchs

Knowing that Alexander County still utilizes their conventional system and looks to be patched to VIPER at least for the near future, was curious if a permanent move was contemplated or if perhaps funding (or terrain) was the issue?

For anyone in the know and can speak to it, is there a long term plan?

I am fortunate enough to copy the Barrett Mtn tower which currently is affiliated with Caldwell, Catawba, and Iredell counties…

drayd48

Knowing that Alexander County still utilizes their conventional system and looks to be patched to VIPER at least for the near future, was curious if a permanent move was contemplated or if perhaps funding (or terrain) was the issue?

For anyone in the know and can speak to it, is there a long term plan?

I am fortunate enough to copy the Barrett Mtn tower which currently is affiliated with Caldwell, Catawba, and Iredell counties…

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Request For RID Information...

Seeing new RIDs popping up on Viper that I don't have information on, has anyone identified VIPER users with RID of 21700xx?

Seen a couple of times but could not make out traffic, they've been on various TGs, most recently one of the DOC SW TGs

NCFireman11

Premium Subscriber
Request For RID Information...

Seeing new RIDs popping up on Viper that I don't have information on, has anyone identified VIPER users with RID of 21700xx?

Seen a couple of times but could not make out traffic, they've been on various TGs, most recently one of the DOC SW TGs
I've recently got several DOC Div 21 units in the 21700xx range. I guess all of the 202xxxx range has been used up.

NCFireman11

Premium Subscriber
For those wondering, Events Delta 4, Echo 1 & 2 are being used for a large-scale exercise in Burke County. The events are both water and land based SAR exercises, and will go April 28-May 1st.

krizanek

Premium Subscriber
Anybody have an idea who is using Talk Group code 60695 on NC Viper System. I checked the most recent list on RR and it is not listed. Just curious.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I'm thinking it might be the USMS, but radio IDs would help. My unidentified list has 60696 with USMS radio IDs and lists 95 as USMS but I haven't confirmed.

Attachments

• Wildcard TGID List New.pdf
    41.8 KB · Views: 22