• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Who makes the smallest SSB CB radios?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
After buying a really nice COBRA 29 LX and finding it didn't fit anywhere in my 2019 Ford Edge I ended up selling it at a slight loss. I should have done my home work.

Now I'm rethinking things and realized I think I want to get a SSB CB. Again size matters. Does anyone make a small SSB CB and if so who?

Thanks

cmjonesinc

I was looking for the smallest thing I could find a while back with ssb and couldn't do any better than the 980 or the President McKinley. I went with the President and have zero complaints. I would prefer a smaller form or a remote head but I don't think anyone makes one. Guess there isn't much of a market for remote head cb's out there.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Model / SKU:President MCKINLEY
Recommended for:Drivers who need a rugged SSB CB radio. This radio is ideal for off-road use in Jeeps, Cruisers, Tractors and HD equipment.
Radio Features:Single Side Band (SSB), Weather, Backlit Display, Built in SWR Meter, PA, Beep Function, ANL/NB & Hi-cut Filters, Roger Beep, Channel Scanning, Automatic Squelch, Instant Channel 9/19, RF Gain, VOX hands free, Lights, Dimmer

Compatible with:
Compatible with all CB antennas on the market. Ideally suited for installation in single DIN radio slots, but can also be mounted easily with the included "U" bracket. This CB features a front speaker and rear external speaker port.

Product Includes:
Radio and 6-pin microphone
Mounting bracket and hardware
Power cord with Fuse
Microphone hanger

Manufacturer Warranty:
Two Years OR Five Years with the purchase of a President Antenna

Radio Dimensions:
6.69” x 5.91” x 2.05” / 170 x 150 x 52 mm

Download Manual:
To download / view manual, please click here.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
That's been pretty much my findings as well. I was leaning towards the Uniden 980 but I read a few reviews that were critical about it's mechanical integrity claiming that they were breaking down in environments that subjected them to vibrations from mobile use in trucks.

I haven't read any negative comments regarding the President McKinley.

RFI-EMI-GUY

From what I read the President McKinley is a bit smaller and will fit in a DIN opening. I am leaning toward it myself.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
The Uniden PC-122 is probably the smallest one made, but is not a current model. You might be able to find a used one, but most owners are not willing to give them up.

K4EET

Chaplain
Premium Subscriber
The Uniden PC-122 is probably the smallest one made, but is not a current model. You might be able to find a used one, but most owners are not willing to give them up.
Is this one of them?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Is this one of them?

It appears to be, but that pic is not a good one.

Retroradio

I was looking at the President Mike FCC as its the smallest I have seen in awhile.
My vehicle like many is radio unfriendly.... :-(

cmjonesinc

That's been pretty much my findings as well. I was leaning towards the Uniden 980 but I read a few reviews that were critical about it's mechanical integrity claiming that they were breaking down in environments that subjected them to vibrations from mobile use in trucks.

I haven't read any negative comments regarding the President McKinley.
I saw a few negative reviews with the screens going bad. That's what pushed me away. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the McKinley though.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Any idea where to find the EU model in the US? I looked before I bought mine and couldn't find it.

You are probably going to have to buy from offshore and pay for express shipping to the US. Maybe Amazon has some.

I found this, cant vouch for them.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Warning to anyone shopping and buying a SSB radio. Vendors have started listing USB, Universal Serial Bus chargers, as a "feature"

WB9YBM

Any idea where to find the EU model in the US? I looked before I bought mine and couldn't find it.

When I looked into this a few years ago (for other applications) I found out that radios can be bought from foreign radio stores if the buyer here in the U.S. provides a copy of their ham radio license...

Status
Not open for further replies.