• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Who makes the smallest SSB CB radios?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WB9YBM

You are probably going to have to buy from offshore and pay for express shipping to the US. Maybe Amazon has some.

I found this, cant vouch for them.

When I looked into this a few years ago (for other applications) I found out that radios can be bought from foreign radio stores if the buyer here in the U.S. provides a copy of their ham radio license...

Retroradio

reedeb

Is this one of them?

Yess it be a PC122

n7lrg

Premium Subscriber
The McKinley speaker is forward facing. That is a plus for me as I am running it as a base station. It is stacked in a 4 tier stationary organizer with other radios, scanners and power supply.

WB9YBM

Especially if the op is involved in longer conversations, even a low-power (4 watt) radio's finals can get warm--made worse on smaller radios with less heat-sink--add to that heat from summer weather in warmer climates in cars before the A/C gets going. In situations like this, I'm not sure if the adage "smaller is better" is such a good idea...

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Extreme hot or cold weather is NOT your friend with communications gear. I was having issues with one of my Motorola Astro Spectra 110 watt combination P25 digital/analog mobile radios. The radio itself is mounted in the trunk, and the control head is in my Jotto Desk console. It would give an error code (sorry, I forget the letter/number), and until it either warmed up or cooled down after several minutes it just sat there in the error mode. So take a $150 CB radio, or a $2000 Motorola professional public safety radio one thing is for sure: THEY HATE EXTREME HEAT OR COLD.

I wonder how public safety agencies in Alaska, Siberia, Africa, or the North Pole handle these weather extremes with their communications devices?

WB9YBM

Extreme hot or cold weather is NOT your friend with communications gear. I was having issues with one of my Motorola Astro Spectra 110 watt combination P25 digital/analog mobile radios. The radio itself is mounted in the trunk, and the control head is in my Jotto Desk console. It would give an error code (sorry, I forget the letter/number), and until it either warmed up or cooled down after several minutes it just sat there in the error mode. So take a $150 CB radio, or a $2000 Motorola professional public safety radio one thing is for sure: THEY HATE EXTREME HEAT OR COLD.

I wonder how public safety agencies in Alaska, Siberia, Africa, or the North Pole handle these weather extremes with their communications devices?

That reminds me of some solid state component spec's I once saw while working at Motorola: seems like I.C.s come in 3 temperature ranges: military grade, commercial grade (the two most common types everyone's familiar with) and automotive grade (I hadn't heard about that third one until I cam across a data manual listing this type of components). The least expensive's the commercial stuff (also had the most limited operating temperature range), with the military grade being the most expensive (and best operating temperature range) with automotive grade being in the middle (prices & temp specs)...

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Begs the question: why are they alike to us?

— In what is an extreme of temperature for a
human is lost the ability to focus.

— That equivalent loss is seen in pretty much every device we invent under the same difficult temperatures.

— Its not enough to say, “we didn’t build it for that” (as these are inanimate objects, supposedly).

What resurrects (animates) the airplane cobbled together in, The Flight of the Phoenix?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
That reminds me of some solid state component spec's I once saw while working at Motorola: seems like I.C.s come in 3 temperature ranges: military grade, commercial grade (the two most common types everyone's familiar with) and automotive grade (I hadn't heard about that third one until I cam across a data manual listing this type of components). The least expensive's the commercial stuff (also had the most limited operating temperature range), with the military grade being the most expensive (and best operating temperature range) with automotive grade being in the middle (prices & temp specs)...
There is space rated, too. Basically military temperatures, or more, plus radiation hardened. (For prolonged exposure, not single event upset.)

WB9YBM

There is space rated, too. Basically military temperatures, or more, plus radiation hardened. (For prolonged exposure, not single event upset.)

Hadn't heard about that one yet--thank you for getting me updated!

Status
Not open for further replies.