Would like to have a private stream?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KA2ZEY

I'd like to network my home scanner to my laptop and be Ble to listen with an iPhone or Android phone remote. I have a BCD436HP. What do I need to get this going?

rbm

I have 11 private feeds running and two on Broadcastify.

On two of my private feeds I use FreeSCAN to run a 'Remote Control Server'.

Those two feeds I can control from my smart phone using RemoteFS app.
http://forums.radioreference.com/scanner-programming-software/315648-remote-control-app-android.html
That combination works GREAT and gives me complete control over those feeds remotely.

The following is a 'lift' from my older post here:
http://forums.radioreference.com/st...rding/338551-setting-up-feed.html#post2628735
You can see some screen captures there.

Setting up a private feed is easy. BUT confusing at first.

You need to set up port forwarding on your modem for the port(s) you will be using.
You will need one port for audio, and another for text tags or remote control if you want either of those.

You can Google how to do port forwarding for you modem.
A sample for my modem is in the link below.
http://forums.radioreference.com/st...0-scannercast-port-selection.html#post2296929

THEN, allow those port(s) through your firewall.
http://www.dummies.com/computers/op...how-to-open-a-port-in-the-windows-7-firewall/

You can refer to my older post here for some help.
http://forums.radioreference.com/st...0-scannercast-port-selection.html#post2296833

In my case, I use ScannerCast for the audio and the FreeSCAN server for remote control.
And RemoteFS on my Android phone.

Since you can only use one program on your radio's computer port at a time, you either can send text tags OR setup for remote control.
But NOT both at the same time.

Then, since most people don't have static IP addresses and their IP address may change randomly from time to time:
Use something like no-ip.org to get your own host name that will not change when your IP address changes.
Free Dynamic DNS - Managed DNS - Managed Email - Domain Registration - No-IP

Then, you would access your feed using something like this in your player: (without the quotes)
"myfeed.no-ip.org:12345"
(replace 'myfeed' with your host name and the 12345 with the port number you set up for the AUDIO)

Rich

Last edited:

16b

Premium Subscriber
Another option is to use Zello. User rjk_165 has a great, detailed post about it, so I won't repeat how to do it; just check out this link: http://forums.radioreference.com/st...audio-recording/273859-zello-stream-feed.html.

I've done it before and it works. Advantages and disadvantages that I found:

Good:
- Low bitrate codec uses less bandwidth and works over slow connections (even 2G wireless in my experience).
- VOX means you only use bandwidth when there is activity (no streaming dead air).
- Don't need to set up port forwarding or dynamic DNS on your network.
- Password protected channels allow you to create a private stream.

Bad:
- Low bitrate codec means lower quality audio.
- VOX means that the beginning of transmissions can sometimes be cut off (in my experience it wasn't too bad, but occasionally I would miss things).
- Requires a dedicated Windows computer to host the feed.

If you have the bandwidth and the patience to set up the port forwarding and dynamic DNS, Rich's solution will yield a higher quality stream. Zello probably involves a little less work, and is a good choice if bandwidth is a concern. BTW Rich, thank you for the detailed post. I'll be bookmarking that for future reference.

KA2ZEY

For Proscan and Radiofeed, do I need to be running both at the same time? Do I need to route the audio from my headphone jack to the computer soundcard input? Can I remote control what the scanner does or am I stuck with whatever I left the house with ? Not quite sure the procedure here. I do have a Broadcastify account via Radioreference.

M105

For Proscan and Radiofeed, do I need to be running both at the same time? Do I need to route the audio from my headphone jack to the computer soundcard input? Can I remote control what the scanner does or am I stuck with whatever I left the house with ? Not quite sure the procedure here. I do have a Broadcastify account via Radioreference.

I run RadioFeed only and have the web server setup privately with a password. To do this you run audio output from your scanner to an audio input on your computer. There is no scanner control but it can make a web server out of any audio input. This would probably be a good starting point for you since the software is free. Set it up and see how you like it.

Proscan does allow scanner control but since I don't have a compatible scanner model I have never used it. You can check their website to see if your model will work with it. With control capabilities you would need a computer interface cable connected to the scanner.

In either case you will need to open a port on your router to allow the server to be accessed from the Internet. You can run it as a standalone web server or connect with services like Broadcastify if you wish. There are setup wikis for this software on RadioReference.

KA2ZEY

Wondering why I have to set up an independent port on the router? Why can't I just stream through the usual way?

M105

What is the "usual way"? In my experience if you want to set up a server behind a firewalled router you have to open a port to access it from the Internet.

KA2ZEY

I can't just run it through the internet like I would streaming music or video? I'm not sure why the router stuff?

M105

?? You will be the host if you set up a private server. If you want to access it from outside of your local network, ie the Internet, then you will have to allow access to it from the outside world. The address will be something like: http://your home IP Address: port number

KA2ZEY

Ok maybe I used the wrong language in my post. By 'private' I don't mean separate from anything in my house that everyone else uses. I just want to be able to tune into my scanner from an iPhone or Android phone remotely. Do I really need to set up a separate ip address and all that? Sorry for the confusion.

M105

If you are going to listen to it or control it from anywhere other than inside your own network you will have to allow access through your router. You already have a WAN IP address all you need is to open a port. No more complicated than putting a camera or any other server online. If you have a dynamic IP address you can use a DDNS service. If you don't need to access it from the Internet you use the internal network IP of the computer it is running on and can access it from other devices on your local network.
--
The best thing to do is download RadioFeed and play with it. It isn't rocket science.

Dog

Ok maybe I used the wrong language in my post. By 'private' I don't mean separate from anything in my house that everyone else uses. I just want to be able to tune into my scanner from an iPhone or Android phone remotely. Do I really need to set up a separate ip address and all that? Sorry for the confusion.

If the phone is connected to your wifi network you don't need to do anything. If you are outside and using cell data or another wifi connection you will need to open a port to connect to.

If you are wanting someone else to host your stream, ie broadcastify I don't think you can do that privately. I don't know of any service that can. Maybe you can use some online radio service that is password protected.

Last edited:

KA2ZEY

If the phone is connected to your wifi network you don't need to do anything. If you are outside and using cell data or another wifi connection you will need to open a port to connect to.

If you are wanting someone else to host your stream, ie broadcastify I don't think you can do that privately. I don't know of any service that can. Maybe you can use some online radio service that is password protected.

By private I mean only I can listen to it.

Dog

By private I mean only I can listen to it.

I understand that...

You need a host server for your stream. You will either host it on your own computer or find someone else to host it for you.

That is what you need to decide on first. How are you going to host the stream.

Dog

I will host it.

If you want to listen while you are not connected to your home wifi you will need to open a port and set up someway to access your feed when/if your IP Address changes (ie No-IP, etc.).

eddie555

.....The best thing to do is download RadioFeed and play with it. It isn't rocket science.

Well, you could have fooled me!

I'm in the same boat as the OP, I am just interested in streaming to my LAN.

I have an Icecast2 server running and, my source is the SDR running on the same computer as the streaming server. I need a client to tie my source audio to my streaming server.

Radiofeed appears to be a Windows based program; I am using a Linux based machine.

I have fetched and installed Darkice and have spent hours upon hours trying to configure Darkice to run but, I am not having any luck in spite of all the (dated) info that I am finding on setting up streaming. I am not here looking for help on setting up Darkice but, I am looking for alternatives to that add-on.

I am running Ubuntu 14.04, on a MacBook Pro. My source audio is from a OP25 Receiver with ALSA audio output and, Icecast2 is providing the network access (with Icecast running, I can access the server from other PC's on the network).

The "Next Big Thing" seems to be the Raspberry Pi device when it comes to streaming; I am not trying to add another component (or PC) just to transfer audio from one program to another.

I was "Rocket Scientist" enough to make my MBP dual-boot with Ubuntu, 'compile' a APCO P25 receiver and install and provision Icecast2 to perform BUT, it's like having a box of Lego Blocks that will not fit together when it comes down to making the setup work as I desire.

Either, my expectations are too great or, (more than likely) I am missing something.

I think I need a "Real" Rocket Scientist.....

M105

@eddie555 - Interesting, but that really isn't relevant to running a simple server program on a Windows system...

Status
Not open for further replies.