BCD436HP / BCD536HP Repair Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

wise871

Database Admin
Well I received my 436 back today. So far it's working fine. I updated the Firmware so I could enable Provoice. It's picking up SLERS nicely. I could have sworn I updated the firmware before I sent it off. Maybe Uniden replacing the mainboard was the reason why it had the previous firmware, again not sure.
As far as the display goes, I can not confirm but my display does not look as bright. But than I have gone over 2 weeks without it so I can only go by what I see now and earlier pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0214.JPG
    IMG_0214.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,124

garys

Premium Subscriber
Get another SD card and see if that solves the problem. My 536 started mysteriously rebooting and swapping the SD card fixed that issue.

After receiving my scanner back from repair I noticed the following:

Sometimes when downloading updates to my scanner - the scanner powers off before I have a chance to click Write to Scanner. I have to turnoff the scanner using the volume control and back on to power scanner back on. Has anyone experienced this issue?

Sintenel S/W version 1.06 and scanner firmware 1.10.02

Wally46

Feed Provider
Well I received my 436 back today. So far it's working fine. I updated the Firmware so I could enable Provoice. It's picking up SLERS nicely. I could have sworn I updated the firmware before I sent it off. Maybe Uniden replacing the mainboard was the reason why it had the previous firmware, again not sure.
As far as the display goes, I can not confirm but my display does not look as bright. But than I have gone over 2 weeks without it so I can only go by what I see now and earlier pictures.

It's much brighter than mine is

lamarrsy

Premium Subscriber
Canadian bought BCD436 vs repair campaign

Hi,
I don't know how many Canadians have bought (in Canada) either the 436 or the 536, and I don't know how it went for you fellows Canadians to send back your radio to Uniden facilities in Texas for this repair campaign, but for me it had been one heck of a nightmare experience.

First, the instructions on Uniden page are tailored to US owners of these radios; there's no explanations pertaining to the customs and all the paperwork that has to be completed *before* giving the parcel the the sole Uniden-mandated carrier, UPS.

I live in a town where there's no UPS service, the closest one is 300 miles from my hometown. The clerk at Canada Post was kind enough to refuse my parcel and explaining me that UPS has a subcontractor by the name of Putolator and there was no need for me to *pay* Canada Post to ship something prepaid via UPS.

So, I called UPS and sure enough, the Putolator truck was here the day after. I sent my 436 per the Uniden US-owners instructions.
I then tried to track my parcel but to no avail.
I then received a call from the Canadian UPS desk, asking me to fill out a form explaining in details what I was shipping, why, etc. I had to provide Uniden's shipping address, a contact name (hello Paul Opitz) and a phone number (I found one on Internet).
Since I had followed Uniden's instructions and printed out a UPS shipping label but *did not* made a COPY of it, I had no clue which address was the right one, from the ones I found on Internet as I had to put one on the UPS Customs declaration I received form them via email. So I completed the form and emailed it back to UPS Canadian center.
Many days later, I received a call from UPS US sorting facility: they had to have my original purchase invoice.. I searched everywhere but did not found my original invoice. So I phoned my Canadian dealer and they told me to log-in to their web-site with my username and password and that from there I could download a copy of the invoice, which I promptly did.
I let a few days pass, and via the link in the email I originally received when I subscribed To the repair campaign, I clicked the link to see where my parcel was.... But to no avail. I have my Uniden tracking number, I put my postal code (there's no such thing as a "zip code" in Canada) but then again, to no avail, the system doesn't spit back any info on my 650$ CDN radio I sent to Uniden.
I suspect something with the expected format of the "zip code" field that a Canadian postal code doesn't meet and the website simply rejects with absolutely no info.
You can count on me that it's the first and last time I try to send to the US something bought in Canada. And it's for sure my last Uniden purchase.

So, I am going to the church in a few hours, I'll burn some candles and make a prayer for the return of my 436 without problems, as I am really not sure I'll ever see again this radio.

Up man, if you read this and can do something to track where's my radio, I can provide you the necessary specific details privately.

Sylvain, VE2LAM, Rimouski, Qc., Canada

ve3zo

I can say my experience shipping to uniden was pretty uneventful. I printed the provided ups label, brought it to the ups depot and away it went. I was able to track it all the way to Texas. It took about a week.

It's probably not what want to hear, considering your current trouble.

lamarrsy

Premium Subscriber
Hi,
In fact no, it's interesting to read other Canadian's experience : did you have to provide UPS with a Customa declaration form and also provide your original invoice, just for my curiosity?

73!

ve3zo

A customs declared value amount ...yes...but nothing was ever mentioned about the original invoice.

lamarrsy

Premium Subscriber
Okay,
Interesting to read that there are variations in UPS processes.

How did you enter your postal code in the zip code field?
6 characters + no spaces?
3 characters + space + 3 characters?
3 characters + "-" + 3 characters?

omrail

Hello Sylvain. I have not shipped my 436HP yet for this fix but when I shipped my 536HP for the headphone I just had to fill out the Customs declaration and off it went with full tracking. I was never asked for an invoice. Sounds to me like US customs was having a look at it and questioning the declared value.

I had a look to see what transit time is like form Rimouski and it looks like it is 8 day in transit if all is smooth and no holidays for UPS Standard to Roanoke. If you shipped the week of Dec 14 it would be around 2 week. As it did not go smooth and there was some info needed I wounder if UPS has a new tracking number on it for some reason. Maybe call UPS and see what info you can find out.

For the return of the 536HP it was with FedEx (the best in my books) 2 day no cost to me (no brokerage fees).

Both were bought from a Toronto area store online

lamarrsy

Premium Subscriber
Hi,
Thanks friends for these infos, they help me put into perspective my own return-back-for-repair situation. I'll definitely call UPS in the coming days and try to trace back my scanner.

73 !

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Sorry to hear about the issues. Note that we will not have an incoming tracking number in our system (it is generated when you make your label...we don't get a copy of that). As of today, it has not been received by our facility, as your status still shows as being able to print a label. You can look up the status by putting in your reference # and any 5- or 6-character value with no spaces (we really just use the reference #, apparently...not sure why our IT guy set it up that way).

lamarrsy

Premium Subscriber
Ok thanks for chiming in Upman,

I'm checking regularly (every day) the status website and still get the same "print the shipping label" page, with no status at all.

Well, it's probably a good thing I have a BCD396XT and a BCD325P2 as backups while the 436 is away, even though listening to public services is not a *vital* thing for me nor essential to my job.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Got my radios back two days earlier than expected. Charging the internal batteries on both. Maybe it's me, but the receivers on both seem even more sensitive than they were. Displays are beautiful. All in all, we'll see what happens after the new internal batteries charge. And I like the pen!! Paul, thanks for coordinating this.

mrkelso

UPS Just dropped her off. NO MORE DUST in the Giant Screen!!!..

Working like a well oiled clock with a working clock .......

And they sent a free Uniden Pen :)

Attachments

• DSC_0206.JPG
    DSC_0206.JPG
    211.1 KB · Views: 878
Last edited:

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Yes they both look brand new. One of the DIN slots has gotten damaged at a car wash. Looks like a new front plate was put on. They did a damned fine job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I was just out at the repair center and made sure that they were watching for this one. The tech was actually already aware, from reading this thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.