BCD436HP / BCD536HP Repair Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCOTTER

Glad I seen this thread I was ready to pick up the 536 . I have my 396xt backlight on 40 hours a week the last 7 years and use the jack a lot and all is good. You would think the old ones would have been recalled but I see on amazon this is still a problem. Sorry I did not read all 62 pages. I will when I get the time.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The newer ones do not have the backlight problem, so it's not an issue.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
The newer ones do not have the backlight problem, so it's not an issue.

good luck finding out which the "newer" ones are. we have tried to do by serial on this forum. some places have old stock and still send out and uniden will not mark or id which are new or old, great company that they are. 436 and 536 repair campaigns it their solution. i tried hard to get a new 436 and checked serial, etc etc. luckily i got a new model. wont even touch the 536 bec of their out of box issues. no thanks. going back to GRE.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Any place that does volume will have new stock like Amazon or Scannermaster. The only places that are going to have old stock are mom & pop shops that sell only a few units per year.

And UPMan has posted how to parse the year of manufacture out of the serial number.

It's not that difficult to find if you actually look.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
Any place that does volume will have new stock like Amazon or Scannermaster. The only places that are going to have old stock are mom & pop shops that sell only a few units per year.

And UPMan has posted how to parse the year of manufacture out of the serial number.

It's not that difficult to find if you actually look.

Yes, UPman did do that. but, i never saw there he stated anything about the serial or which #s. we ops figured that out, trial and error. maybe he did, there are 100s of posts and diff forums on this, cant keep up with it all. BUT, saying this, we are WARNING people purchasing the 436 to look out for serials, that helps them. That is why we are here. it helped me. also, NOT just mom and pop places, actual ham radio places still have old stock, at least one did last summer in Ohio. I looked at their two 436's and both were old stock. i did not purchase.

benburke

good luck finding out which the "newer" ones are. we have tried to do by serial on this forum. some places have old stock and still send out and uniden will not mark or id which are new or old, great company that they are. 436 and 536 repair campaigns it their solution. i tried hard to get a new 436 and checked serial, etc etc. luckily i got a new model. wont even touch the 536 bec of their out of box issues. no thanks. going back to GRE.

N5XTC, I will have to agree with you. It does take some luck, and while shopping at the large merchandise movers like Amazon MAY increase a customer's CHANCE of getting a new model, it can't be guaranteed. It's not like an electronic device has an expiration date code like a food item in the grocery store. Call Amazon and ask them to check the serial number of the unit before they ship it. They'll probably laugh at you.

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
As Upman has stated in a past post, the first letter after the z in serial number is the last number of the year scanner was made. I have 3 536's and they all have a 6 after the z, so that's means they were manufactured in 2016. I keep my scanners on most of the time and I have not had any quality issues so far. In my opinion, the x36 scanners are the best scanners I have ever owned. And I have owned many over the decades.

aubertine

Premium Subscriber
As Upman has stated in a past post, the first letter after the z in serial number is the last number of the year scanner was made. I have 3 536's and they all have a 6 after the z, so that's means they were manufactured in 2016. I keep my scanners on most of the time and I have not had any quality issues so far. In my opinion, the x36 scanners are the best scanners I have ever owned. And I have owned many over the decades.

I agree my 536 it is a great scanner. My serial number is 37526048006423 meaning it was made in 2016, right? Mine is a 2 not a Z. It does have the backlight problem. I would like to know if this is covered under this repair campaign.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
You guys and ladies just received my scanner as of 10:42am this morning.

Upman,

Do you know how long does it take normally for someones repair status to get updated on the repair status page? You guys received my scanner for repair yesterday and it still shows email link sent for the tracking number label from February 23rd of this year. Just was wondering.

SCOTTER

Ok my head is spinning I just sold my 396xt and im already going through withdrawal it being the weekend so when my 436 comes Monday what should the # be on the box to let me know its a good one in laymans terms please. Thank you.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
Ok my head is spinning I just sold my 396xt and im already going through withdrawal it being the weekend so when my 436 comes Monday what should the # be on the box to let me know its a good one in laymans terms please. Thank you.

I kept my 396xt's, have two of them. GREAT little handheld. these were my favorite scanners UNTIL the 436 arrived and I spent a few days learning it. now the 436 is my fav and prob my most fav scanner I have ever owned. love it! get a soft case to go with it, ASAP. it will protect it in case you drop it, or WHEN you drop it. i dont like the hard leather one with the belt clip thing. ENJOY!!!!

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
RTC repair

Had my 536 for 2 weeks and noticed soon after purchase that the clock was failing. Did some reading on this forum and checked the serial #, ...Z6... so I thought that would be a new stock radio that shouldn't be afflicted with the failing clock. Guess not.

Repair request submitted. Good thing I haven't sold my 996XT so I have a back-up.

So, at what date or serial numbers are non-afflicted radios coming out of the assembly line?

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
Had my 536 for 2 weeks and noticed soon after purchase that the clock was failing. Did some reading on this forum and checked the serial #, ...Z6... so I thought that would be a new stock radio that shouldn't be afflicted with the failing clock. Guess not.

Repair request submitted. Good thing I haven't sold my 996XT so I have a back-up.

So, at what date or serial numbers are non-afflicted radios coming out of the assembly line?

those issues have kept me from buying a 536. i have many uniden scanners and rolled the dice with the 436, but did confirm serial # and got lucky. have been looking more and more at other scanners bec of Uniden quality control. now go ahead and tell me i am wrong. lol

bearcat

If you purchase a new unit, how do you know if it has the clock/display upgrade?

Is there a starting SN when these new parts went into production models?

SCOTTER

I got mine saturday if it has a 6 after Z or the 2 in the serial # it should be good. The one I got is not as bright as the 396xt but the screen is bigger.

bearcat

I got mine saturday if it has a 6 after Z or the 2 in the serial # it should be good. The one I got is not as bright as the 396xt but the screen is bigger.
You really need to compare to another 436 with the updated display. It is a very bright blue. Comparing to a 396 will not really confirm if you have the new display. My original one just keep getting worse and worse. The new display is great. No issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.