BCD436HP / BCD536HP Repair Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The only way to know if the scanner needs repair is if it exhibits the failure. If it does not lose time and if the display does not dim, then it does not need to be repaired.

jpfirefighter

BCD436HP Campaign Repair

New to the forum...Having scanner withdraw after sending in unit for RTC repair. It was received by Uniden on 3/17/2017. Does anyone know if they check for any other issues? Does anyone have a sense for how long it takes to ship out? The status page on the Uniden website has a 4/14/2017 estimated ship date...I hope not that long.

Thanks.

SCOTTER

My screen is white and no clock problems so far. You guys that have the 396xt and 436 would you say the 436 is about 75% of the 396xt on high?

MFCJR

jpfirefighter,They do check for other issues and will fix them if needed. I live in CT and it took about 2 weeks from when I shipped my unit's until I got them back. (I had sent 2 536 HP's) It would also depend on how busy they are.

jpfirefighter

Thanks MFCJR. Uniden must be busy as I shipped it on 3/9 and have had it since 3/17. When you received your repaired units, did they list for you what they did?
I have an autistic son who asks me 4 times a day if there are any updates. He's taken a real liking to the scanner and my volunteer firefighting. Maybe I'll hear something next week.

N6PIV

BCD536HP clock and headphone repair

I found the repair process to be very well implemented. I entered my SN and I quickly received a UPS shipping label. I sent the unit in and I received an email that it had been received last Friday. I received another email on Monday that the repairs had been completed and the tracking number for the return shipment. It arrived on time yesterday very well protected. Everything is working great. The entire process was quick, painless and very professional. For all the grief Uniden received on the 436/536, they really have really nailed this repair program.

Great job UPMan and team!

Art

MFCJR

Yes jpfirefighter. They do list the repairs. I think you should be hearing something soon. I lucked out. They had my units in and out of repair in the same day. Good luck!

jazzviper

bcd536

Hey there mr. UPman. I signed my 536 up for repair as a BCD436,and they sent ok to send in. should i redo the whole thing or just send it in? I cannot print label,i will just send it to ya.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Re-enter it correctly and ignore the first. Otherwise, could cause confusion when model is repacked.

butundo

I am not an active user, but I am so happy that a friend told me about this fix. I bought the unit in Feb of 2015 and have been dealing with the issue the entire time. I was going to return it, but it was a gift for my wife, and I didn't want her to change her mind and not get another one. I submitted my info today. Any idea how long until they contact me and say they will be ready for me to ship in the unit?

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
I sent my 536HP in for repair of the failing clock. Got it back a week ago. Tonight I see the clock has failed again. Just great.

I read somewhere in this forum that the radio need to be left on for 50 hours to charge the battery. Is that the case with my newly repaired scanner?

I do have the scanner mounted in my truck and I don't drive very long trips.

marksmith

I read in one of these forums that the 50 hours is no longer applicable. I remember it as an Upman post. Don't remember if it was for radios manufactured with the fix, fixed radios, or both.

Also don't remember if it was 436 or 536, as I think the RTC fixes were different.

In any case, don't see how it would hurt anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It may not take 50 hours any more, but the radio has to be run for some period of time to give the RTC battery an initial charge.

marksmith

It may not take 50 hours any more, but the radio has to be run for some period of time to give the RTC battery an initial charge.
The understanding I was getting is that the RTC battery is now tied in to the regular battery circuit more than it was when the 50 hour charge requirement was made. But again, not sure if this is for both radios or not. In either case, like I said... can't hurt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

dcisive

Probably once a week I plug my 436 into a phone charger ac body at the USB end and the other into the radio running it overnight for around 12 or so hours. So far it's keeping it nicely charged for the clock to keep operating without failure. I tend to charge the batteries outside of the body, but on occasion will do much the same charging it overnight for 12-14 hours. Since when fired up it registers that the voltage it's operating on is well above 4 volts no question it's charged all it needs to be to be considered fully charged. At times I've operated the radio for 4 or 6 hours and so far I'm getting perhaps close to the 8 hours that is claimed for a full charge. Several hours of use a day. It's all good.

kandrey89

Feed Provider
I don't charge batteries inside my radio because I need discharged batteries so that the radio turns on at vehicle ignition, but batteries can't have too low a voltage otherwise the recording system stops working, so 2.5-3V with no current flowing typically works for me.
I drive 1.5 hours per day, and 5-10 hours on Friday-Sunday when I patrol the highways.

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
So I left my 536HP (in my truck) on since 5:30am (it is now 8:30pm), just took a look at it and the RTC has failed- shows August 20, 2027, time way off from what it should be. If the RTC fails while the scanner is on it would seem to me that the problem was not fixed during it's trip to the repair shop and/or there is something else that is wrong.

Any ideas? Back to the shop for ? :mad:

marksmith

So I left my 536HP (in my truck) on since 5:30am (it is now 8:30pm), just took a look at it and the RTC has failed- shows August 20, 2027, time way off from what it should be. If the RTC fails while the scanner is on it would seem to me that the problem was not fixed during it's trip to the repair shop and/or there is something else that is wrong.

Any ideas? Back to the shop for ? :mad:
I would think the time would go to some far past default time, not 10 years into the future... ??

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/others

Status
Not open for further replies.