BCD436HP / BCD536HP Repair Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
I looked again. Aug 22, 2097. Not sure by what number off from actual date has to do with anything.

Muxlow

Super Secret
So i sent my 536 into uniden for the clock issue. Got it back yesterday and set the clock. Shut the scanner off and turned back on.. Same issue still! Have to update the clock settings each time still!!! Uniden did NOT fix the issue. I do have a different display on the scanner now too. The backlight is a much different colour (I like it better so thats ok)

But what the hell uniden? Send this to get fixed and its still not fixed?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Run the scanner for a few hours. The clock battery needs to charge before it can keep the setting when the unit is off. A new board won't have a charged battery.

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
Yep, same story as mine. I'm going to take the scanner out of my truck bring it in to the house and keep it on overnight. We shall see if that cures the problem. I kept the radio on in my truck for 8 hours and that did not cure the (repaired) RTC failure.

So i sent my 536 into uniden for the clock issue. Got it back yesterday and set the clock. Shut the scanner off and turned back on.. Same issue still! Have to update the clock settings each time still!!! Uniden did NOT fix the issue. I do have a different display on the scanner now too. The backlight is a much different colour (I like it better so thats ok)

But what the hell uniden? Send this to get fixed and its still not fixed?

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
Oh, and one more thing.... I can have the radio on as I make the drive to work (5 minutes) and the clock will fail. Is that a normal thing for the clock to fail while it is on and supposedly charging?

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
And another little thing,, the time seems to stay put, the date is what goes out of whack, Aug 22 is what I had before I have hooked it up in the house for an overnight charging. When I go to set the date it shows 2097, but not sure that means anything.

Muxlow

Super Secret
Run the scanner for a few hours. The clock battery needs to charge before it can keep the setting when the unit is off. A new board won't have a charged battery.

Radio has been on over 24 hours. Just shut it down and back on. Same issue. Not saving date/time and have to wait the 5 seconds. It IS remembering the date/time that i last entered but still saying it was lost on boot up.

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
This should be my last post on this topic.

536HP on in my house for 2 days, date and time stayed correct.

Unplug, re-install in truck. Turn on. 10 minutes later date is wrong.

So is it back to the repair shop to fix the same problem that it was sent in for already or time for a replacement radio? Probably not up to me but this needs to be made right with me and future buyers.

Now to figure out who to call.

thundermedic

Database Administrator
UPMan,

I lost my scanner in my house for a bit and it's now on it's way,

Ref #7378

It was sent 5 day shipping from Canada.

Just thought I would let you know!

seth21w

This should be my last post on this topic.

536HP on in my house for 2 days, date and time stayed correct.

Unplug, re-install in truck. Turn on. 10 minutes later date is wrong.

So is it back to the repair shop to fix the same problem that it was sent in for already or time for a replacement radio? Probably not up to me but this needs to be made right with me and future buyers.

Now to figure out who to call.

It may have been a sd card fluke or something from going from house to battery in vehicle. I would make sure you have the most recent firmware and if it keeps loosing time send it back they should have warranty time on repairs. But i most definetly wouldnt spend 500 more dollars for a new scanner just because date or time was wrong.

rwier

Premium Subscriber
" ... definetly wouldnt spend 500 more dollars for a new scanner just because date or time was wrong .... "

Retired about 14 years now. Have a 2 page printout of upcoming Dr's appointments, lol. Other than those appointments, I have little use for dates and times. My *36s tell me what I want to hear nearly perfectly. However, I don't have a clue as to how to check their time/date settings, and no need or desire to learn how.

dgritt

Hi All,
I sent my 436 a few months ago for the RTC issue. I can say that it still is working great. In fact, sometimes I leave it off for more than a couple of weeks and it still keeps the time and date. I like the LED fix for the screen also. That being said, I am sure it is aggravating to have a unit come back that still has a problem, but don't give up. Uniden definitely has a fix for the problem. I really enjoy the 436.

rumcajs_tr

Hi,
is there any chance to fix the clock issue overseas? I live in Europe, have both 436 and 536 and both suffer the clock issue. I am afraid, that when I send it to US, the shipping costs will be extreme and I also suspect, that the package with repaired units could be subject of import taxes (the officials wil not know that the scanners are mine and were sent for repair only).
Did somebody form Europe succesfully went through the repair campaign?
Or can somebody give me some advice?
Thank you, best regards,
Ondrej

Ubbe

Hi,
is there any chance to fix the clock issue overseas?

If you also suffer from bad sensitivity with your 436 you should absolutly send it in.
No customs fee for returned units and Uniden will also state that in their shipping documents.
It usually are $50 shipping cost each way.

But do you need that clock issue fixed? You don't have any real use for it and are only used
for time stamping the recording files, not the recording in itself.

/Ubbe

rumcajs_tr

Hi, thank you for reply. My current observation of problems is only with the clock issue, but when I send it in, they will probably fix all issues (clock, dim light, sensitivity...).
The problem is, that there are absolutely no istructions to follow when sending it in from overseas. I tried the link in the first post of this thread, but it is obviously for US only, as it requires ZIP code, etc...
Do you have any personal experience with shiping it back to uniden?
Or maybe UPMAN could respond here?

EDIT: my 536 also suffers from erratic behaviour when turning the channel knob

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
but it is obviously for US only, as it requires ZIP code, etc...
Do you have any personal experience with shiping it back to uniden?

See my post here:

http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tech-support/321603-bcd436hp-bcd536hp-repair-campaign-23.html#post2674993

So after receiving the BCDX36HP Repair Campaign reference number, I posted it registered and insured airmail back to Uniden in the U.S., paying for that myself. They repaired the RTC issue and returned it via FedEx about 3 weeks later.

but when I send it in, they will probably fix all issues (clock, dim light, sensitivity...).
Probably not, unless you advise them of all the faults when you return it.

rumcajs_tr

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. I just signed for the repair campaign for both the 536 and 436 scanners and received reference number. So I wil wait and see what happens next.
Do you have any idea how to advise to Uniden of the other faults (erratic knob behaviour on 536, dim light issue and poor UHF reception on 436)? Should I include some letter with the units? Or some other way? The postage will cost some serious money to US from here so I would like to have all issues repaired at once.
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.