BCD436HP / BCD536HP Repair Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thank you very much for sharing your experience. I just signed for the repair campaign for both the 536 and 436 scanners and received reference number. So I wil wait and see what happens next.
Do you have any idea how to advise to Uniden of the other faults (erratic knob behaviour on 536, dim light issue and poor UHF reception on 436)? Should I include some letter with the units? Or some other way? The postage will cost some serious money to US from here so I would like to have all issues repaired at once.
Thank you.
Just include a simple letter with the scanners, detailing any issues other than the RTC. The repair facility will check those out while the unit is in for repair.

For the 436, if I recall correctly, the RTC repair involves replacing the system board. I believe I saw notes before indicating that the LED's (for the display dimness issue) were part of the board itself, so that will likely be taken care of. For the 'sensitivity' issue, there was a fairly recent post that indicated Uniden had made a change in the boards to address the Uhf issue. Offhand, I don't recall which thread it was in. However, I have not had any issues with either of my 436HP's. One was purchased late last year, and if a design change was made, possibly it was included. The other 436, purchased near the date they were released, went in for the RTC & dimness issues, and has had no issues at all since return.

rumcajs_tr

Thank you for advice. I will include a letter with detailed description, what issues should be checked. Both my 436 and 536 are from very early batch, so now they both suffer RTC issue. Also my 536 has oversensitive scroll knob (jumps several steps during one click) and concernig the UHF reception of my 436, the copper/alu foil under battery door really changes the received signal. So i think it is now the right time to send both my scanners to Uniden and hope that they will fix all issues at once. I have also paid and registered DMR upgrade for both my scanners, so if the repair involves system board replacement, I will probably have to re-register the scanner with a new board.
Now I am waiting for reply from Uniden so I will see how it goes on.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thank you for advice. I will include a letter with detailed description, what issues should be checked. Both my 436 and 536 are from very early batch, so now they both suffer RTC issue. Also my 536 has oversensitive scroll knob (jumps several steps during one click) and concernig the UHF reception of my 436, the copper/alu foil under battery door really changes the received signal. So i think it is now the right time to send both my scanners to Uniden and hope that they will fix all issues at once. I have also paid and registered DMR upgrade for both my scanners, so if the repair involves system board replacement, I will probably have to re-register the scanner with a new board.
Now I am waiting for reply from Uniden so I will see how it goes on.
Of your two scanners, the only one that is likely to receive a "new board" is the 436. UPMan stated some time ago that, if the system board was being replaced, it would be reflashed with the original ESN, so as far as registration goes, that is no change.

In my case, the only consequence of the repair with board change (on my 436HP) was that I needed to re-enter the DMR (and ProVoice) key numbers. Re-registration was not required, and neither was purchasing another key.

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
UPMan will be best to answer your questions. He posts on this forum regularly.

rumcajs_tr

So after receiving the BCDX36HP Repair Campaign reference number, I posted it registered and insured airmail back to Uniden in the U.S., paying for that myself.
Just a while ago, i received another e-mail from Uniden with shipping instructions and link to UPS shipping label. The shiping label, however, is useless for me as it allows to ship only from US or Canada. So I will have to send it via registered airmail in the same way as you - that is OK for me - I will pay for the shipping, but HOW TO GET UNIDEN ADRESS? Should I fill some 'fake' info (state/country) into the UPS label form and then print it? Will it reveal the corect shipping adress? Or is there any other way how to get Uniden repair center adress? To which adress did you send your scanners? Thank you very much for help,

EDIT:
I just found this adress - is it a correct one?

Uniden America Corp.
C/O Saddle Creek
743 Henrietta Creek Rd., Suite 100
Roanoke, Texas 76262
ATTN. REPAIR

Last edited:

w9zro

is it normal when you send a unit for dim displa/ RTC they assign a different number ???i got an email with a SRO number and says repair cost 79.95

w9zro

since i cannot edit a new post any body have a good number to call these people ??? there was nothing wrong with my radio except for the dim display first number is 8024 then SRO 2001953

w9zro

a call to uniden Customer service fixed it !!!!
if a mod can delete my last 2 posts that would b awesome

W5RGP

For upman

I sent my 536 in yesterday and I'm sitting here looking at the note I meant to put with unit

Stating to please also check out the dim display and that the unit will lock up on the first welcome screen about every other time or so that it is turned on
Can u add this somehow to the repair or do I need to call someone?
My ref # is 8058

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amagugaaq

I mailed a BCDX436HP, serial number 376Z38000854, with repair reference number 7935 to Uniden c/o Saddle Creek, 743 Henrietta Creed Road Suite 100, Roanoke, TX 76262 on March 29. I called them yesterday to find out the status of the repair, and Tara said she could not find the radio in her records. Please help. I have proof that the radio was delivered to Uniden. My phone is 907-852-8363 and email is jsmaupin@gci.net. Thanks.

w9zro

WOW 89.95 and they did not do anything as the board was changed before i purchased it .I sent it in because the display was dimmer than my friends. kinda BS but lesson learned and I guess someone has to make UPMANS car payment :)

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I mailed a BCDX436HP, serial number 376Z38000854, with repair reference number 7935 to Uniden c/o Saddle Creek, 743 Henrietta Creed Road Suite 100, Roanoke, TX 76262 on March 29. I called them yesterday to find out the status of the repair, and Tara said she could not find the radio in her records. Please help. I have proof that the radio was delivered to Uniden. My phone is 907-852-8363 and email is jsmaupin@gci.net. Thanks.

When was it delivered? Deliveries arrive at that facility (we don't own) and are signed for by that facility. Then, the facility delivers it to our company's repair group normally within 24 hours. Depending on the number of incoming, items might not be logged into the repair system for a couple of days (which does not delay the repair itself, as all things are worked on in the order received).

w9zro

UPman what part is F12J supposedly that was replaced ??? just curious Uniden SRO Number: 2001953

Citywide74

Premium Subscriber
This message is mainly for UPMAN. I recently joined a volunteer fire organization where the captain, an older gentleman, owns a 536. This unit has a very dim screen and in the three years he has had it, every 6 months, the unit will not stayed powered. The store where he bought it, Baynesville Electronics, would replace the SD card which would solve the problem for 6 months. Baynesville is no longer in business. The last time it happened, I also replaced his SD card and once again it worked for 6 months. Now, even when I tried a new SD card, the unit fails to stay powered. It comes on, loads the favorites list, and goes right back to booting up. I feel that this is a warranty issue that even 6 months ago before I took over trying to help him with it was not handled properly by the store he bought it from. The reference number is 8067. I am trying to find out if the power issue is part of the defect that will be repaired or if he will have to pay for this. I do feel that he was wronged here, and I am hoping that you will fix what seems to have been a defective unit from the start, and not hold against him the fact that the store messed up.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
What SD card are you using? A card failure or problem is not something appropriately addressed by repairing the scanner.

marksmith

The dim screen is covered under the program, but the power up issue definitely sounds like a typical SD card error.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

Citywide74

Premium Subscriber
What SD card are you using? A card failure or problem is not something appropriately addressed by repairing the scanner.

I placed the card from his scanner into mine with no problem, however, when I inserted my card into his, which works fine in my scanner, the same problem still occurred.

mickh

Well, here I go again. Over the weekend my 436 started the clock
time loss. This I will miss. It seems to follow me everywhere. But,
thanks to Uniden for being there for the repair. And thanks to Upman
for holding our hands on this. So, waiting for my label. Hope it's as
fast as my 536 repair...

Drifter...

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I placed the card from his scanner into mine with no problem, however, when I inserted my card into his, which works fine in my scanner, the same problem still occurred.

Then you probably have dust or dirt in the card slot. Spray some dust remover into the slot, and see if that doesn't help. If not, try using something like this to clean the contacts:

https://www.amazon.com/Memory-Card-Cleaning-Microsd-Micro/dp/B0015EL9XC/

Moistening the cleaning pad with isopropyl alcohol (preferably 90+% concentration) will make it work better.

Status
Not open for further replies.