Dickie_10

Here are DSDplus screenshots showing the LCNs & frequencies for 7 sites I can receive in southern Middletown. It appears that the Troop K database entry has some incorrect and missing info. It looks like only the sites broadcasting on 700mhz have LCNs configured for TDMA.

Troop B (023) - Troop F (027) - Troop H (028) - Troop I (029) - Troop K (030) - Troop L (031) - https://i.imgur.com/tq2WnPd.gif
Hartford (041) - https://i.imgur.com/MVuMeei.gif

I also found 2 sites and control channels not in the database, I am not able to receive them at my location:

Code:
BEE00.3A9-1.27 neighbor:  Site BEE00.3A9-1.37; CC=0-327  853.050000
BEE00.3A9-1.23 neighbor:  Site BEE00.3A9-1.38; CC=1-2002  774.518750

The FCC license for 853.050 shows a transmitter location of 294 SHORE ROAD OLD LYME, CT which is the Old Lyme Police Dept.
The FCC info for 774.51875 just lists CT statewide Temporary Fixed & Mobile location.

leadjammer

I ran updates but still nothing new on my BCD325P2 or HPII. My SDS100 has a custom FL that I can hear Troop L,B,A, & H on thanks to @WoodburyMan woodbury, but the full database seems to still not work.
Same here. I guess the June 16th RR update does not include the new CSP stuff. We might have to wait until the next one. Nothing coming through at all on my HP,

leadjammer

I take my last post back. Picking up new stuff from CSP all under Connecticut Statewide Emergency Radio Network. Picked up Troops G, I, H, K and F here in Hamden within the last ten minutes or so.

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
Leadjammer, I can tell you I am hearing almost everyone is coming thru on the new system. Also if you can't find a troop listed - Try taking the old Troop TG and divide by 16. That should be the new one.

mkt853

Here are DSDplus screenshots showing the LCNs & frequencies for 7 sites I can receive in southern Middletown. It appears that the Troop K database entry has some incorrect and missing info. It looks like only the sites broadcasting on 700mhz have LCNs configured for TDMA.

Troop B (023) - Troop F (027) - Troop H (028) - Troop I (029) - Troop K (030) - Troop L (031) - https://i.imgur.com/tq2WnPd.gif

I also found 2 sites and control channels not in the database, I am not able to receive them at my location:

Code:

The FCC license for 853.050 shows a transmitter location of 294 SHORE ROAD OLD LYME, CT which is the Old Lyme Police Dept.
The FCC info for 774.51875 just lists CT statewide Temporary Fixed & Mobile location.
The OLPD site was put in (a long time ago - is it really still active?) because of the dead spot along the shore heading east from Soundview. Point O' Woods for some reason is especially bad in trying to reach the barracks whether CSP or Valley Shore.

Cheeseburgers

I am back in the office today, most recent DB revision from RR last night, only sitting on H Simulcast, SDS 100 paired w/ RH789 and I seem to be getting a lot more traffic. I honestly think that my home is just in a bad spot relative to the new system. I could easily get the old H&W site or repeater from the house...but now the H Simulcast is a little further away related to my house. The RH789 extended helps, the wife will not allow a roof mounted antenna :)

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
the wife will not allow a roof mounted antenna

That is stupid.

Regarding the database: I updated my HPII with the latest RR database, and I also updated my SDS100. I am getting traffic on the custom FL I set up with the control channel that @WoodburyMan provided, but nothing on the "full database" version of the CSERN network. Something still isn't configured properly it seems.

I wish I could figure out how to configure the FreeSCAN software with the proper control channels to try and get CSERN on there. The RR database is on it, but it's silent.

I know that my spot is a crummy one for scanning in general, but I should be getting SOMETHING at least some of the time.

Right now my SDS100 with the custom FL is the only scanner receiving any CSERN traffic at all. The full database version of the CSERN network on that one is also silent.

The full database version must not have something configured properly with the control channels or something.

I do get full database CSERN traffic if I go to another town or area, so it has to do with the way the signals are configured.

mkt853

The new system is definitely more finicky than the old. The old one behaved more like a traditional system in that the closer to the transmitter you are, the better the reception. This one goes from five bars in my living room to zero in the bedroom ten feet away. I've seen the same thing outdoors: stand in one spot get a couple of bars and a decodable signal to five feet away and nada. And I have a tower about five miles away. This is the same behavior noted in many other threads complaining about LSM systems. The point is that it will take some effort to listen to this system rather than it simply being a question of how close you are to the nearest tower.

WoodburyMan

Code:

Great work! Submit this to the database using the submission feature. This is what I have been doing as I've been picking up and discovering things.
I also noticed Troop I right in my backyard at work (The Naugy site I believe) that is all 700mhz also has TDMA enabled, I had two LCN's show up for one frequency repeatedly. Have not seen this on any site with 800mhz.
Annotation 2019-06-18 100625.png

I believe you are correct on Troop K. It seems the entry on RR database does have some missing frequencies.. 3 frequencies for a site is a little low. Add them in!

As for Site 37 and Site 38, others have reported seeing those as well. There was confusion as to where they were, someone though. Site 37 being Linked to B seems to confirms it's a Stand Alone site in Troop B area possibly Sharon or Waramaug area. I don't see them on A, I, or L sites I can pick up from home.

While I was in the Old Saybrook area last night, I have those two control frequencies in a separate list I made that only had those two sites listed. I copied a frequency that someone else reported as the control frequency for Site 37 before of 859.937500MHz and did get hits on that in the area around Brandford, and again stronger near Westbrook area at -90db. However the frequency I was looking at appeared to be a voice/data channel, NOT a control channel. So this fits in line with what I was seeing. I believe you have the correct control frequency now. (Whatever was reported before was wrong, or changed). So I believe this is SOMEWHERE in the South East part of the state. Not sure where still exactly other than it can be hit from Westbrook most likely, and it's link to Troop F seems to confirm that.

That is stupid.

Regarding the database: I updated my HPII with the latest RR database, and I also updated my SDS100. I am getting traffic on the custom FL I set up with the control channel that @WoodburyMan provided, but nothing on the "full database" version of the CSERN network. Something still isn't configured properly it seems.

I wish I could figure out how to configure the FreeSCAN software with the proper control channels to try and get CSERN on there. The RR database is on it, but it's silent.

I know that my spot is a crummy one for scanning in general, but I should be getting SOMETHING at least some of the time.

Right now my SDS100 with the custom FL is the only scanner receiving any CSERN traffic at all. The full database version of the CSERN network on that one is also silent.

The full database version must not have something configured properly with the control channels or something.

I do get full database CSERN traffic if I go to another town or area, so it has to do with the way the signals are configured.
Meh. Discones are a bit of an eye sore. I've been unable to mount anything outside as well, and resort to my indoor window mounted antennas.

When you use the Full Database version, you're going to get worse results. Using just the Troop L control channel on your SDS100, your scanner just scans the one frequency, listens to the control channel which tells it if any other frequencies are in use at the site and will have your scanner tune to those if they are in the talkgroups you want. To cycle through it once takes 0.25 to 0.5 seconds, then it will loop around your scan list.

When you use the Full database, it's scanning EVERY frequency for EVERY site. Not just the single control channels. For a single site, thats 4 to 7 frequencies it's checking, when your SDS100 only needs the control channel since it has "follow" features for P25 control channels (The HP II does not I found out....). It takes a while for it to scan those frequencies, determine nothing is there, and move on to the next frequency to scan. Then.. on top of that.. if you're using all sites, you're repeating that 13 times over. So effectively instead of scanning one frequency, you are scanning 67 frequencies. It will take your scanner 3-5 seconds at BEST, most likely closer to 10 seconds or more, to loop around through all 67 frequencies. That increases the chance of you missing a transmission on the one frequency you really only need to be monitoring, as the majority of transmissions sometimes are just a couple seconds long "Roger" "Car XYZ Troop Y" etc...

So for CSERN monitoring, with a SDS100 you really only need the Control Channels, and with 13+ sites try to limit the sites you scan to just the ones in range that you want. I have one Favorite List with *just* the CC's of all the sites for when I'm traveling, and ones for each site specifically with just the CC's for that site enabled, and just those TalkGroups enabled as well, along with some neighboring Talk Groups sometimes. It's VERY hard to get zones setup if you are roaming.. static positions or locatiosn are much easier to setup..

CSERN UPDATE ON MISSING SITES (Consolidated from this post)
Site 37 Control Frequency of 853.050000 is in Westbrook area maybe, somewhere in South East part of state linked to at least Troop F site.

Site 38 Control Frequency of 774.518750 is in Troop B area somewhere, possibly Warramaug or Sharon, and linked to at least Troop B site (*Not* L however so it must be pretty far North, leaning towards Sharon).

Troop K Site 30 has a few more frequencies than the RR database has.
851.4375 SCC
852.2625 SCC
852.6500 SCC
853.9125 CC (Already in Database)
851.1375 (Reported in DB, not heard)
851.8625 SCC(Reported in DB, not heard)

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
Great work! Submit this to the database using the submission feature. This is what I have been doing as I've been picking up and discovering things.
I also noticed Troop I right in my backyard at work (The Naugy site I believe) that is all 700mhz also has TDMA enabled, I had two LCN's show up for one frequency repeatedly. Have not seen this on any site with 800mhz.
View attachment 72309

I believe you are correct on Troop K. It seems the entry on RR database does have some missing frequencies.. 3 frequencies for a site is a little low. Add them in!

As for Site 37 and Site 38, others have reported seeing those as well. There was confusion as to where they were, someone though. Site 37 being Linked to B seems to confirms it's a Stand Alone site in Troop B area possibly Sharon or Waramaug area. I don't see them on A, I, or L sites I can pick up from home.

While I was in the Old Saybrook area last night, I have those two control frequencies in a separate list I made that only had those two sites listed. I copied a frequency that someone else reported as the control frequency for Site 37 before of 859.937500MHz and did get hits on that in the area around Brandford, and again stronger near Westbrook area at -90db. However the frequency I was looking at appeared to be a voice/data channel, NOT a control channel. So this fits in line with what I was seeing. I believe you have the correct control frequency now. (Whatever was reported before was wrong, or changed). So I believe this is SOMEWHERE in the South East part of the state. Not sure where still exactly other than it can be hit from Westbrook most likely, and it's link to Troop F seems to confirm that.

Meh. Discones are a bit of an eye sore. I've been unable to mount anything outside as well, and resort to my indoor window mounted antennas.

When you use the Full Database version, you're going to get worse results. Using just the Troop L control channel on your SDS100, your scanner just scans the one frequency, listens to the control channel which tells it if any other frequencies are in use at the site and will have your scanner tune to those if they are in the talkgroups you want. To cycle through it once takes 0.25 to 0.5 seconds, then it will loop around your scan list.

When you use the Full database, it's scanning EVERY frequency for EVERY site. Not just the single control channels. For a single site, thats 4 to 7 frequencies it's checking, when your SDS100 only needs the control channel since it has "follow" features for P25 control channels (The HP II does not I found out....). It takes a while for it to scan those frequencies, determine nothing is there, and move on to the next frequency to scan. Then.. on top of that.. if you're using all sites, you're repeating that 13 times over. So effectively instead of scanning one frequency, you are scanning 67 frequencies. It will take your scanner 3-5 seconds at BEST, most likely closer to 10 seconds or more, to loop around through all 67 frequencies. That increases the chance of you missing a transmission on the one frequency you really only need to be monitoring, as the majority of transmissions sometimes are just a couple seconds long "Roger" "Car XYZ Troop Y" etc...

So for CSERN monitoring, with a SDS100 you really only need the Control Channels, and with 13+ sites try to limit the sites you scan to just the ones in range that you want. I have one Favorite List with *just* the CC's of all the sites for when I'm traveling, and ones for each site specifically with just the CC's for that site enabled, and just those TalkGroups enabled as well, along with some neighboring Talk Groups sometimes. It's VERY hard to get zones setup if you are roaming.. static positions or locatiosn are much easier to setup..

CSERN UPDATE ON MISSING SITES (Consolidated from this post)
Site 37 Control Frequency of 853.050000 is in Westbrook area maybe, somewhere in South East part of state linked to at least Troop F site.

Site 38 Control Frequency of 774.518750 is in Troop B area somewhere, possibly Warramaug or Sharon, and linked to at least Troop B site (*Not* L however so it must be pretty far North, leaning towards Sharon).

Troop K Site 30 has a few more frequencies than the RR database has.
851.4375 SCC
852.2625 SCC
852.6500 SCC
853.9125 CC (Already in Database)
851.1375 (Reported in DB, not heard)
851.8625 SCC(Reported in DB, not heard)

Do you have a sendable file with the control channels you use for traveling ?

jmorrissey23

Premium Subscriber
So your saying when Bridgeport (015) starts to switch over they will be 115 and prospect that is currently 115 will be 215 correct?

How does that work with Meriden? they are 080 and if you add a 1 they would be 180, and 180 is currently showing up as all the CSP cars
I see 180 (Trooper) 2 (Mobile Radio) XXX radio number all the time now on uni trunker

Is there a matrix out there, because the id thing from the state doesn't cover the +1 thing it just says the beginning will be the town code.

Not sure if it has been answered yet or not but to clear this up you're confusing radio and talkgroup IDs.

The first three digits of the radio ID are the town or agency code (ex. CSP is 180xxxx, Bridgeport is 015xxxx)

As far as talkgroups they are 10001 over the tax code if that makes any sense. So Bridgeport (015) would be 11501-11599. Stonington (137) is 23701-23799.

Dickie_10

To update my previous post, I ran DSDplus on the Troop K site all last night and found a new voice frequency with a pair of LCNs for TDMA. This is the first I've seen TDMA on an 800mhz site. I have submitted the complete site info to the database.

e9LHujz.gif

From the event log it was TG 5001, CT Transit Hartford Bus Dispatch:

Code:
2019/06/17  19:51:48  Group call; TG=5001  Ch=851.2125-2 Pri0  16s
2019/06/17  21:26:45  Group call; TG=5001  Ch=851.2125-1 Pri0  18s
2019/06/17  21:28:20  Group call; TG=5001  RID=45537  Ch=851.2125-2  3s

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
Not at this time, they still use there VHF channels. Bridgeport PD was looking into joining this system, but I have no clue if actually will join it.

Thought their PD was encrypted.

Does anyone know if CSPERN is a legit system and if it is part of this CSERN?

cg

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if CSPERN is a legit system and if it is part of this CSERN?

CSPERN is a legit system, CSERN is not. The CT Statewide P25 system is called Connecticut Land Mobile Radio Network (CLMRN).
CSPERN is not part of the Statewide Trunk System, but is a stand alone analog 800MHz system. SPAN is another Statewide resource but is simply a talkgroup on the CLMRN system.

CSPERN
CSPERN is the Connecticut State Police Emergency Radio Network. This is a statewide simulcast analog/repeater channel. Any police agency in Connecticut may use an 800Mhz radio to talk to any other police agency in Connecticut on this channel.
Any of the above channels or trunked talkgroups are able to be patched into any other. For instance, it would be possible to patch Troop A channel 01 into CSPERN for a major event so that local police could talk to Troop A troopers seamlessly.

chris

cg

Premium Subscriber
City of Torrington is working toward joining the system. They have no money now for radios so they are trying for FD grants. Sounds like at least a year away.

chris

fireman_bob

Got all the troops working when driving near Rt2 (I can hear them when I'm on RT2) but NOTHING at my house. I get no bars on any of the channels whereas the old system I could hear everything just fine. Does the new system have poorer coverage than the old? I wouldn't think they would get worse based on past radio issues with CSP.
Also heard some traffic in the Norwich area on TG 15901 and 23701. Not sure what it is. None of those are in the database.