Denver Chooses Motorola for P25 Phase II System, Public Safety will be Encrypted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve2003

Will DFD be encrypted
From the rumors I have heard it sounds like DFD will be Encrypted as well. The DFD TGIDs that have been seen on the MARC system have all been encrypted on the new Denver Public Safety P25 system which backs this up.

I haven't seen anything official yet, but it looks like the days of monitoring DFD with a scanner are likely limited. One can only hope that their VHF station alerting remains in the clear (which could go away with P25 station alerting as mentioned earlier) or that they get on board with PulsePoint like several of the other metro area departments have recently done.

If Denver City Council is onboard with this I wonder what the other cities contracted with DFD think of it (if they even know)? A lot of these systems support over the air programming, if they ever decide to change encryption on a few talkgroups they won't have to physically touch every radio to do it!

rckydenver

Using the Pro96 program CC 859.2625 and seeing a adjacent site 101 ( T0101) that CC is 859.7125 and on Pro96 program the only thing that shows up the call sign of WQHE237.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber

So not only are they shutting out the people (which tax payer dollars pay their salaries) but they are further adding insult to injury by telling the people that the wonderful, unbiased, fully reporting, never opinionated, news media will be the people's ONLY source of information while blocking 90% of incidents from being reported?

The sun grows ever darker.

Troop

So not only are they shutting out the people (which tax payer dollars pay their salaries) but they are further adding insult to injury by telling the people that the wonderful, unbiased, fully reporting, never opinionated, news media will be the people's ONLY source of information while blocking 90% of incidents from being reported?

The sun grows ever darker.
Ugh the ole tax payer go-to. A couple things, us in public safety also pay taxes which in turn pays our salaries as well. By blocking a hobby out, how does that make the sun grow darker? How does this personally affect your life?

PRO2006

Blocking out situational awareness.

Like during the active shooter at the planned parenthood (Centennial and Filmore,2015). It had just begun and I was listening from Woodland Park. My daughter called and said there were cop cars flying all around her.....I asked where she was...I25 almost to Filmore and was going to head west putting her right there in minutes. I immediately diverted her south of the whole scene. There were still shots being fired at the time....so yes, it does block situational awareness.

Last edited:

rckydenver

Just read the above on Denver Fire. So looks like March 18th for Denver Fire and Denver PD are flipping the switch, Earlier it was April for the DPD and they moved it up.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
They all want support and all this but then shut us out. Guess that's that.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Denver Fire Department has openly confirmed that they are going to be encrypted, no need to listen to the crazy rumors or go checking with your "sources" anymore. At least the VocAlarm will still be around.

Denver Fire Department to follow cops’ lead and encrypt radio traffic next month — though not all of it

When these big fire departments start encrypting like Denver it means which big department is next? This is going to be a snowball effect at this point. This industry is dying faster than we all thought. Scary times. Who would of ever thought large fire departments moving to full time encryption now.

Denver Fire Department plans to encrypt radio traffic

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
When these big fire departments start encrypting like Denver it means which big department is next? This is going to be a snowball effect at this point. This industry is dying faster than we all thought. Scary times. Who would of ever thought large fire departments moving to full time encryption now.

Denver Fire Department plans to encrypt radio traffic

Not to mention further adding insult to injury by saying that we can get all of our information from the completely unbiased and fully accurately reporting news media.
My voice and actions never amount to anything anyway so I know that no one cares what I do but I will no longer be attending functions.
I respect the work that First Responders do in the interest of saving lives in all of that but I no longer wish to attend those fundraiser events and whatnot that they hold.

allend

Premium Subscriber
You would see some small fire departments using encryption here and there in small communities. Now you see large county system using full-time encryption which means the fall of this industry and hobby is happening. This pretty much means when new cities and counties do their upgrade it means encryption. Why not. This city and county did it, so we can do it next.

If this does not put a heavy pit in your stomach then I am not sure what to say at this point. From a big metro city to go from EDACS and ProVoice in the clear to Phase II TDMA full time encryption across the board "end to end" then I am pretty sure Uniden and Whistler will be re-thinking about if their divisions down the road will be able to keep their jobs or keep the scanner division doors open.

The scanner industry can't create anything new to fix this issue at this point. They were able to make radios for digital and then trunking scanners, and then add Pro-voice and so on with NXDN and DMR but The Big "E" is the brick wall that stops everything for good for our life time.

Last edited:

Eugene

Unfortunately it puts a huge pit in the stomach. I have been an EMT since 1973 and a Paramedic since 180. I have volunteered in two agencies, worked part time in another and full time in a third. I did so until I went back to college and grad school in 2003. NOT once did I have anyone with a scanner interfere with me at any time. I know some do but the vast majority do not. Don't understand their rationale for full encryption of even dispatch, but it isn't for "safety" reasons and every one and their dog knows it. I thought up to this point that only Police chiefs were paranoid of the people the are supposed to serve......guess there is more than enough to go around. Too bad.

Eugene KG4AVE

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Folks, this thread isn't about if encryption is good or not. While it might feel good to vent here, please use your energy to communicate with Denver's City Council and public safety leaders.

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
Make it clear to the city where you stand. Those in charge need to know.

Unfortunately I seriously doubt anything will convince the city to change their policy. This has been an ongoing situation for the past 26 years in which the city has been working to control access to public safety communications. They finally have what they have always wanted.

In the meantime it is of great interest in what is in the media "Contract" and what the city considers "Media" and restrictions that are imposed. Newsroom budget's are not what they used to be as well and the cost of the radio in order to monitor will be a factor.

Changing between clear and secure TG's is just changing the channel on the radio.

Mixed mode codeplugs are complicated.

KD0DUJ

Make it clear to the city where you stand. Those in charge need to know.

Unfortunately I seriously doubt anything will convince the city to change their policy. This has been an ongoing situation for the past 26 years in which the city has been working to control access to public safety communications. They finally have what they have always wanted.

In the meantime it is of great interest in what is in the media "Contract" and what the city considers "Media" and restrictions that are imposed. Newsroom budget's are not what they used to be as well and the cost of the radio in order to monitor will be a factor.

Changing between clear and secure TG's is just changing the channel on the radio.

Mixed mode codeplugs are complicated.

It is easy all you need to is program the pd TAC channels to encrypted and leave dispatch in the clear and fire and ems in the clear

Status
Not open for further replies.