Erie County P25 System

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Well, without getting too detailed, I am well know at the 911 Center.
2 years ago you posted in this very thread that you are an ex-employee/dispatcher of the county 911 center, so it's hardly a secret:
Being an ex-employee of 5 years at the Erie County 911 Center as a police/fire/EMS dispatcher...

It isn't about me, nor should my past reputation (or lack thereof) within Public Safety have any place for this issue.
Perhaps not, but your posts often have the tone of a disgruntled ex-employee who enjoys pointing out the shortcomings of the county and this system. Perhaps unintentionally, but you should be aware of the vibe you've given off in this thread for the past two years.

I'm not sure that publicly calling them out on a hobbiest website is the best approach to getting an issue resolved, regardless of whether or not they read this thread. Seems more self-serving than anything else, and is probably adding to that "past reputation (or lack thereof)".

N3KGD

Premium Subscriber
Perhaps not, but your posts often have the tone of a disgruntled ex-employee who enjoys pointing out the shortcomings of the county and this system. Perhaps unintentionally, but you should be aware of the vibe you've given off in this thread for the past two years.

I'm not sure that publicly calling them out on a hobbiest website is the best approach to getting an issue resolved, regardless of whether or not they read this thread. Seems more self-serving than anything else, and is probably adding to that "past reputation (or lack thereof)".

Eh, to each their own. A problem is a problem - regardless. So, because my tone isn't the best or favorable excuses the fact that this issue is permitted to continue? I don't think so. No one is a disgruntled ex-employee. The bottom line is a problem exists that has yet to be resolved. Period. End of story. Has nothing to do about me. And if this issue isn't being resolved because of my "tone" or negative vocal opinions, my past relationship with the Department or otherwise, then there's a far more serious issue here. My report and findings, irregardless of my stance and views shall have no impact nor invalidate my continued findings surrounding a system fault that is quite possibly creating a delay of care to the public. I'm not the only one who has negative views about the Department of Public Safety or concerns regarding the radio system, and that shall have no bearing on resolving this issue. Speaking of, this isn't even the P25 radio system - it's the analog paging side of things, Thanks for your feedback.

...and just to clarify, I'm not having "fun" pointing out the "shortcomings" of the radio system, nor do I appreciate your opinionated judgemental post about me when you don't even know me but garner an opinion about me based on my postings.

I want to see an issue fixed that's been reported for months and hasn't seen the day of light on being resolved. It's not about having fun and picking out issues. It's an issue that needs resolved. Fix the problem, then there won't be anything to "have fun" and "pick" about or jab at shortcomings as you so say. You're right, maybe this isn't the best place to publicize the issue. Maybe we'll bring it up to the local news media next.

Go to those two fire departments and ask any one officer or member if they are okay knowing their pagers may not always activate.

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Speaking of, this isn't even the P25 radio system - it's the analog paging side of things
So then, why did you post about it in this thread, which is about the P25 radio system? :unsure: :rolleyes:

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
As I was reading through this thread, I saw a news report about coverage, and that they would build a tower in New York. Any clue if that has happened yet? Also, I was wondering if anyone has heard any Haz-Mat ops, considering that they are shown in a channel list but are not in the Database.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
As I was reading through this thread, I saw a news report about coverage, and that they would build a tower in New York. Any clue if that has happened yet?
They have tried twice to get the site in Chautauqua County licensed under WQEX785, and were twice denied by the FCC due to Canadian objection to one of the frequencies.

EriePA

Using the Uniden SDS100. I’m not hearing as much distant traffic as I did when I first started listening on the new system. Amy suggestion to pick up more traffic. I though with simulcast it didn’t matter where you were located in the county.

scnrfrq

Premium Subscriber
Location does seem to matter. I know people in Lake City who can't get all the Tac channels. Not sure why your reception has changed in the same location thouigh.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Using the Uniden SDS100. I’m not hearing as much distant traffic as I did when I first started listening on the new system. Amy suggestion to pick up more traffic. I though with simulcast it didn’t matter where you were located in the county.
Can you be more specific? Distance should not matter if you are listening from within the service area of the trunked system.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Location and distance always matter to the degree they affect signal strength. If you're in a fringe area, vegetation can affect signal strength by absorbing more than bare branches, so it can be more difficult to hear distant transmitters in summer than winter.

Railbender

Premium Subscriber
Location does seem to matter. I know people in Lake City who can't get all the Tac channels. Not sure why your reception has changed in the same location thouigh.

The TAC channels are only carried by the associated site while the dispatch channels are on both sites. If you cannot receive a Metro site you are SOL for EFD & MFD TAC.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Which is why I asked @EriePA to be more specific. The city simulcast cell may be out of range for a listener located somewhere in the county. I consider the service area to be roughy contained by the county / city boundaries, with a couple miles of good coverage into adjacent jurisdictions.

harvick21

Premium Subscriber
Forget the coverage issues, bottom line is the officials involved don't really care. Their main priority was to shut the public/media out. And I confirmed that with John Grappy (extremely hostile official) and Dan Spizarny. They have not ruled out making the entire system encrypted. Both their views, the public and media have no damned right to listen even though it's been that way for over 50 years and can site no proof when challenged that public/media has caused harm.

ak716

Premium Subscriber
Got some weak decoding of the Urban Site tonight, however, I did find 1.1's data in DSD to be reporting additional sites:

Site: 1.3
Channel 0-496: 453.1 CC

Site: 1.5
Channel 0-558: 453.4875 CC
Channel 1-96: 460.6 CC

I'm too far to pull those in due to strong local signals, but if someone in that area wants to do a little sniffing and see if they can get the info for the DB, I'm sure some people would appreciate it.

And found this... might be the answer to the earlier gripes

WQEX785

Last edited:

scnrfrq

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have the band plan for this system? A quick search yielded no results.

Thanks

Tim

I have copies of all the presentations and updates from the 911 center during the planning stage. Not sure if they showed the actual band plan though.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Anyone running a control channel logging program should see the band plan data.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
I have copies of all the presentations and updates from the 911 center during the planning stage. Not sure if they showed the actual band plan though.
Thats usually info they would not release, as only the admins and techs would need.

jdeutsch2017

As I was reading through this thread, I saw a news report about coverage, and that they would build a tower in New York. Any clue if that has happened yet? Also, I was wondering if anyone has heard any Haz-Mat ops, considering that they are shown in a channel list but are not in the Database.
Hazmat I believe is encrypted but to be honest, I really don't know about them. I have yet to figure out the frequencies for south, west,east county channels

Status
Not open for further replies.