• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Free phase-ii tdma firmware for all G4/5 coming 8/17/18!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vocoder

Do not to know what to think anymore?? They could have just responded to the customers here! First they included phase 2 at no charge with new units and now for everyone! But wait a minute, in between this mess, you charged your other customers to have the same thing added to the units they have already purchased, that had the promise of phase 2 being aplicable! Does not sound like a fair deal.
Just stating

Last edited:

seth21w

I don't really buy that, based on the observation that some people were able to do the firmware update the regular offline way, using files downloaded from a dropbox (which has since been deleted). I strongly suspect (but don't *know*) that they initially did the mail-in method because they knew that if they made the Phase-II files available to any customers, there'd be no way to stop everyone from sharing it with eachother and avoiding the cost of the upgrade.

It seems that they finally decided that the vocoder that they had been using for Phase-I had become unsustainable, and that it was worth swallowing the licensing cost to just use give everyone the new vocoder and not have to deal with the old one any more.

This is my observation also, now lets just stay calm and be thankful because now that everyone is on the same page and only 1 set of firmwares have to be worked on we may see more frequent firmware updates and more features down the road. (Dmr) or other bug fixes etc.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Do not to know what to think anymore?? They could have just responded to the customers here! First they included phase 2 at no charge with new units and now for everyone! But wait a minute, in between this mess, you charged your other customers to have the same thing added to the units they have already purchased, that had the promise of phase 2 being aplicable! Does not sound like a fair deal.
Just stating
So Motorola charged my agency for AES-256 encryption on an order of 1800 radios in 2016. In 2017, they began shipping all APX radios with single key AES-256 standard versus ADP. Should we be upset? No. At the time we placed the order, the market dictated AES was an option. Unication is doing what makes most profitable sense, and customers benefit, by streamlining their firmware and rolling it out to everyone at no charge.

Early purchasers of iPhones pay full price, later on during the product life cycle, they are heavily carrier subsidized. Those who buy in early pay more. It's the way free markets work.

mdsxfire

EDBM
So Motorola charged my agency for AES-256 encryption on an order of 1800 radios in 2016. In 2017, they began shipping all APX radios with single key AES-256 standard versus ADP. Should we be upset? No. At the time we placed the order, the market dictated AES was an option. Unication is doing what makes most profitable sense, and customers benefit, by streamlining their firmware and rolling it out to everyone at no charge.

Early purchasers of iPhones pay full price, later on during the product life cycle, they are heavily carrier subsidized. Those who buy in early pay more. It's the way free markets work.

Thumbs up!!! Best way to describe it. Markets change and rapidly in this industry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vocoder

Although it comes off as complaining, some of us just want to discuss their business practices as W9BU stated above. And get others opinions on this matter. I guess its just confusing sometimes, understanding what the manufacturers have to do to keep up with the fast changing radio technology.

I am, however, thankful i can get my callouts and pages along with the use of phase 2 on the g5 units

Last edited:
Did the update of the current pps and firmware for P2. How do I know that P2 is enabled?

Reason I ask, is that with version 1.1 on a G4 with model number ending in xxxxxxxxx67 (latest and greatest). I have entered a P2 system in the G4. Apparently, the towers aren't locking on. Meaning I'm not hearing that system. Now I entered that same information into my scanner, and it's working flawlessly. What do you guys think of this? Any tips?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Did the update of the current pps and firmware for P2. How do I know that P2 is enabled?

Reason I ask, is that with version 1.1 on a G4 with model number ending in xxxxxxxxx67 (latest and greatest). I have entered a P2 system in the G4. Apparently, the towers aren't locking on. Meaning I'm not hearing that system. Now I entered that same information into my scanner, and it's working flawlessly. What do you guys think of this? Any tips?
Check your programming (specifically the WACN). I tested my G5 after the update, using an authorized radio on my agency system, and tuned to a phase 2 talk group and made a transmission. The G5 stopped on it and decoded perfectly. There was no indication of the talk group being phase 2, but rest assured I remoted into our system (Gen Watch 3 client runs on my desktop at work) and verified I was indeed on a true TDMA talk group.

On FB there is talk about the "Model Number" on the D tab supposed to be at G4B66BF for a G4 unit... Apparently for the G5 is B66..... So far I've tried 2 different combinations and I can't get that system... What "Model Number" in your D tab are you using?

I wonder if that can be an issue

That's strange, I originally loaded the B67 and the P2 system didn't work. I also show B64 on the model number on start up. That's the stock number of the radio. When we write the profile with whatever model number we select, that's what's getting loaded.

I'm just clueless as to why my other P25 P1 systems programmed work and this one doesn't. I have verified everything to match RR. I've even verified it with my scanner database, which is pulled from RR.
I have a g4 and I have to select g4b67bf and phase 2 works. When I just hook up the radio the PPS says I have a g4b64bf.

seth21w

It wouldn't push any audio until I put FF in the rfss and sys ID. Just try it I promise it won't hurt anything. You say you get no P2 audio at all right now. I don't know what you mean I follow talk groups that I have programmed into my tg scan group.

seth21w

No I used the proper wacn in hex! Then FFF for system ID then click on site and put FF in rfss id, and FF in site ID. Then just make your zone with tg scan or tg monitor with at least one tgid in each one it will work I promise!

I think you just solved my problem... I totally forgot to add FF to RFSS ID and Site ID just like the rest of my systems...

I'm going to say this prematurely, but YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!

THANKS for the help but I'm sure that's going to work!

Status
Not open for further replies.