• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Free phase-ii tdma firmware for all G4/5 coming 8/17/18!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I just updated with no problems. The instructions and video tutorial are very good.

Is the update supposed to erase your programming? It did on mine, but no big deal because I made (and always keep) backups.

N6ML

Is the update supposed to erase your programming? It did on mine, but no big deal because I made (and always keep) backups.

From the radio or the PPS software? The latter should ask you it you want to import your profile from the previous version, the first time you run it. My radio did not lose its programming, but I used the RemoteUpdater that was posted on Friday....

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
From the radio or the PPS software? The latter should ask you it you want to import your profile from the previous version, the first time you run it. My radio did not lose its programming, but I used the RemoteUpdater that was posted on Friday....

From the radio. I had already downloaded the latest PPS software, and yes it did ask that, and I did import the profiles from the earlier version. Also the firmware update suggests you backup your profile, which I also did. It's just that after the firmware update was completed, the pager was unprogrammed at that point; I had to reprogram it from the backup profile.

KB8KOJ

Premium Subscriber
Downloaded the updater tonight and it nuked the programming. The PPS update transferred the saved profile and brought it back to running state.

N6ML

Perhaps a reload of the profile (after PPS imports and translates it) is required when you upgrade from v0.9x to V1.xx firmware. Where you on Phase-I firmware before?

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Updated mine from the site link provided by Ray, Monday 9:00 PM EST with no problems. The instructions do say to backup the radio to the PPS (I always have my file on there anyway). It did erase the programming on the radio. A quick reprogram and back to normal. My G4 sounds clearer than before but not quite as loud. No Phase 2 nearby to test. I'll have to drive about 90 minutes north Wednesday to see how it sounds on P-2.

Now my thoughts on this whole issue. Unication was under pressure to develop Phase 2. Customers were really pushing it.

Unication found a way to make it work, but this required the radios be sent to their location in Texas. They had to pay for outbound shipping charges, receiving and programming personnel, programming computers, etc. so I understand why they had to charge something. (I didn't need Phase 2 so I didn't send mine in. I was planning on getting a G5 with Phase 2 in 2019 and selling my G4 Phase 1).

Later they developed a way customers could update the firmware themselves, and they felt strongly that performance optimization is a quality standard, not a feature, and they wanted to ensure this optimization was available to every device.

No need to charge now because they didn't have the extra cost of programming the radios in Texas and shipping them back. This is unfortunate for the early birds but that is business. I wouldn't expect a refund in this case, and I don't think they did all this intentionally. Even their dealers had no idea until the new upgrade was announced.

Last edited:

N6ML

Now my thoughts on this whole issue. Unication was under pressure to develop Phase 2. Customers were really pushing it.

Unication found a way to make it work, but this required the radios be sent to their location in Texas. They had to pay for outbound shipping charges, receiving and programming personnel, programming computers, etc. so I understand why they had to charge something. (I didn't need Phase 2 so I didn't send mine in. I was planning on getting a G5 with Phase 2 in 2019 and selling my G4 Phase 1).

Later they developed a way customers could update the firmware themselves, and they felt strongly that performance optimization is a quality standard, not a feature, and they wanted to ensure this optimization was available to every device.

No need to charge now because they didn't have the extra cost of programming the radios in Texas and shipping them back. This is unfortunate for the early birds but that is business. I wouldn't expect a refund in this case, and I don't think they did all this intentionally. Even their dealers had no idea until the new upgrade was announced.

I don't really buy that, based on the observation that some people were able to do the firmware update the regular offline way, using files downloaded from a dropbox (which has since been deleted). I strongly suspect (but don't *know*) that they initially did the mail-in method because they knew that if they made the Phase-II files available to any customers, there'd be no way to stop everyone from sharing it with eachother and avoiding the cost of the upgrade.

It seems that they finally decided that the vocoder that they had been using for Phase-I had become unsustainable, and that it was worth swallowing the licensing cost to just use give everyone the new vocoder and not have to deal with the old one any more.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
If I were Unication USA I'd prepare for a class action lawsuit.

For what? What did they promise you that you did not receive? What defect does your pager have? How have you been injured by their actions (just so you know, offering something for free that was previously for sale does not count as injury and there is plenty of case law on that.)

Please provide your prima facie case for a class action suit and you may find a lawyer lurking on here to take it up. Otherwise, you are doing nothing more than to try to incite.

Although I am being completely serious here, and would happily continue this discussion I'm sure it will be my post that finally gets the thread shut down, to the joy of those begging the admins.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
If I were Unication USA I'd prepare for a class action lawsuit.

Takes more than one person to file a "Class action" lawsuit. More than a few, if you manage to get any followers....

I have two G5's that I paid for the upgrade. I'm not pissed. I am glad they continue to optimize their products.

This "lawsuit " you guys talk about is a joke. You lost some money, get over it. I have my issues with Unication but for the first time, I must admit good job on the release of the P2 and the improvements.

BigWonton

Unication found a way to make it work, but this required the radios be sent to their location in Texas. They had to pay for outbound shipping charges, receiving and programming personnel, programming computers, etc. so I understand why they had to charge something.

Absolutely, but at $95/$150 for 45 seconds to a minute of computer work (per David) and rounding up to 15 minutes to unpack/repack/print shipping labels is a a pretty good take.

Personally, I'd be happy if Unication threw in a free battery or offered some merchandise credit to smooth things over.

But in the end, it's caveat emptor. Am I annoyed with some of the gimmicks involved (i.e. you better be an early adopter or you may end up paying quite a bit more) and the Phase II upgrade being free a few months later? Of course. Am I going to lose sleep over $95? No.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Folks, several non-contributory posts have been deleted from this thread.

As for talk of legal action against Unication, that's an individual decision. You are free to disagree with someone else's opinion of Unication's business practices. But, we ask that you disagree in a respectful and non-insulting fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.