• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Itinerant frequency for personal use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Without totally derailing this thread, do you know what the fee is for adding channels to an existing itinerant license? I want to add a few more channels but I don't want to file a whole new application.

Itinerant frequencies do not require coordination, so you'd do a license modification and pay your $70.00.

Binger511

Feed Provider
An itinerant license is probably the way I’m going to go. How do I pay the fcc? I assume it’s not PayPal or anything like that.

n1das

I recall 25 or so years ago that 151.6250 MHz was the most used and abused VHF itinerant freqs. Don't know much it is used today. I'm surprised 151.6250 MHz wasn't included in MURS when MURS was created. The 2 other popular freqs at the time were 154.5700 and 154.6000 and those did become part of MURS.

bill4long

I recall 25 or so years ago that 151.6250 MHz was the most used and abused VHF itinerant freqs.

Ole "Red Dot." I suspect one reason for this is that some radios came with the "Dot" frequencies pre-programmed. Red was on the first channel on some of these radios.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
151.625 is pretty popular around me. I hear quite a bit of traffic on it, but not as much as 464.500 and 464.550. I can often hear 5 or 6 different users on those channels at the same time.

n1das

If I were going to get licensed on an itinerant freq, I would license it on UHF. I don't really need to get licensed for a UHF itinerant freq at all because I already have a small fleet of Motorola DTR radios on 900 MHz for local on-site simplex type use. They are my high quality digital replacement for GMRS/FRS for local on-site simplex type use with family and friends.

bill4long

If I were going to get licensed on an itinerant freq, I would license it on UHF

You don't have to choose just one frequency. You can put several itinerant frequencies on your application, over multiple bands, and multiple modes. (FM and digital for example.)

rural_radio

¿Por qué no Ø?
A couple years ago, I applied for an itinerant license with all (okay, maybe just a lot) of the VHF low, VHF high, and UHF frequencies that were available without professional coordination. I basically just copied off of some of the other licenses I saw that were VERY permissive. I used the same FRN as my amateur license. The FCC denied it saying that I didn't provide adequate justification for requesting so many frequencies and emission types.

Rather than try to come up with a flimsy justification, I just made a new FRN in my business's name and asked for a few VHF, and a few UHF frequencies with only narrow FM voice and one digital voice emission. That one sailed right through. Even paying for two application fees, I still only paid a little more than what it would have cost to get a single simplex frequency licensed through a coordinator.

n9upc

Have a question along the lines of this topic also. I am looking at some job sites radios (the ones on the UHF preprogrammed freqs).

Besides the 'classic' 12 or so UHF itinerants in those radios are the others able to be licensed without a coordinator? I know they run about 2 watts (or maybe 4 watts on a few) but I am wondering if I can file them a MOI without coordination.

rural_radio

¿Por qué no Ø?
There are several frequencies set aside for itinerant operation. These are the ones that don't require coordination, but you need to understand that itinerant operation means you can't use them in fixed locations.

The easiest way to get a list of them is to check the business industrial pool itself, and look for the footnotes that denote that:

n9upc

There are several frequencies set aside for itinerant operation. These are the ones that don't require coordination, but you need to understand that itinerant operation means you can't use them in fixed locations.

The easiest way to get a list of them is to check the business industrial pool itself, and look for the footnotes that denote that:

I understand about the itinerant but I have heard conflicting talk about the other UHF business frequencies. Some have said that they are able to be licensed without coordination due to being an ERP of 6 watts for mobile base and 2 watts for handheld usage.

Even attempting to call and talk to the FCC about them was meet with boiler plate responses and not a yes or no answer. I have heard and seen some radio rental companies licensing all the UHF business channels (56 in total) nationwide as MOI or MO6I. But, if the average frequency cord. business charges a heavy fee (around $500 for about 6 UHF MO) I find it hard to believe that some companies are paying that change.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
I have heard and seen some radio rental companies licensing all the UHF business channels (56 in total) nationwide as MOI or MO6I.

That's because there are that many UHF itinerant frequencies. MOI is itinerant.

To answer your other question, anything outside of the designated itinerant frequencies have to go through a frequency coordinator. They are for fixed locations and ensure that users don't interfere with each other.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I am not challenging this statement. But where does Part 90 say this? Thanks.

In the numerous footnotes after the frequency tables. Next to the frequency you will see a numerical reference (nn) and the corresponding "nn" describes limitations and permitted use. A lot of itinerents also have permanent allocations at geographic locations.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I understand about the itinerant but I have heard conflicting talk about the other UHF business frequencies. Some have said that they are able to be licensed without coordination due to being an ERP of 6 watts for mobile base and 2 watts for handheld usage.

Not that I'm aware of, at least not in any recent version of the rules. FCC rules do change occasionally, so it's important to check with the latest published version of the rules. If someone tells you that, ask them to give you the FCC Part 90 rules section that shows it.

Even attempting to call and talk to the FCC about them was meet with boiler plate responses and not a yes or no answer. I have heard and seen some radio rental companies licensing all the UHF business channels (56 in total) nationwide as MOI or MO6I. But, if the average frequency cord. business charges a heavy fee (around $500 for about 6 UHF MO) I find it hard to believe that some companies are paying that change.

The FCC toll free number is useless in most cases. The subject matter is way to complex to handle over a phone call.

And there's a difference between Itinerant and not needing coordination. They don't necessarily mean the same thing.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

And I'm sure this is wrong. I just spent a few weeks chasing some interference to one of my repeaters on UHF, and it was a 2 watt telemetry radio. It -did- require coordination and if they had followed the rules, we would not have had that issue (or me spending way too much taxpayers money on chasing it down).

Status
Not open for further replies.