Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2024

frank3si

Besides the teenager at the local fastfood joint who said it is not a good idea (yeah a teenager not a old person) - the posts in this thread say about the same as the teenager told me.

see posts 8, 11, 12, 14 ...
Interesting. I have an acquaintance who works at McGuire, and he sent me his suggested locations for photography. I'll have to dig up what he wrote - I've been fortunate the last few times I've been there to have media access for my Aerospace Perceptions website. As for Dover, I've photographed from the parking lot at the museum for over an hour several times and never had anyone say anything. I've also photographed the VC-25 Air Force One from there as well, although to be honest I timed it close and sort of acted like I was just looking at the aircraft on display, then had an "Oh look! It's Air Force One and I'm accidentally here!" moment. Otherwise for Dover, I use area roads and views that are not the base perimeter roads, which is how I photographed the UK contingent coming back from Nellis just over a year ago.

john8436

Just curious where you parked since I heard the local community is very concerned about people hanging around taking pictures near the airfield.

Interesting. I have an acquaintance who works at McGuire, and he sent me his suggested locations for photography. I'll have to dig up what he wrote - I've been fortunate the last few times I've been there to have media access for my Aerospace Perceptions website. As for Dover, I've photographed from the parking lot at the museum for over an hour several times and never had anyone say anything. I've also photographed the VC-25 Air Force One from there as well, although to be honest I timed it close and sort of acted like I was just looking at the aircraft on display, then had an "Oh look! It's Air Force One and I'm accidentally here!" moment. Otherwise for Dover, I use area roads and views that are not the base perimeter roads, which is how I photographed the UK contingent coming back from Nellis just over a year ago.
I have been at McGuire before today but only on Cookstown-Brownmill road and sat there for 3 hours with traffic passing by with no issues. I will say that I do look at ADSB to see which runway they are landing on. It is nice when they are using RWY24. RWY06 that is a different animal all together!! I just try to pick days 24 is in play!! On those days when RWY 24 is active I have not been the only person there.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Besides the teenager at the local fastfood joint who said it is not a good idea (yeah a teenager not a old person) - the posts in this thread say about the same as the teenager told me.

see posts 8, 11, 12, 14 ...
Yeah when I was chasing planes for photos at Dover I just pulled off rte-1 southbound by that commercial sand pit
right under runway 1 approach towers.. Never stayed long but no hassles.. That is where I got my current group RR C-17 avatar photo
inbound runway 1 about 10 years ago.
Dover is tough cause flat as a pizza in the area and most times not much really to see.
Like Terry says move around and use data/radio for good pics..
If there is something they don't want you to see they will do it at night time anyway :)

Last edited:

john8436

Around 1945L heard Lajes on 11175 with a test count, weak but readable.
My old base!! I maintained the secure comm in the GHFS to communicate with the EC-135 Looking Glass. I could not wait to leave but recently have thought about take a trip there!! Then head to mainland Portugal which I never was able to see when I was at Lajes for 2 years!!

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Activity on 246.900 (Dirty Cheerleader). Unknown ID.
Common Navy A/A freq.. I have for Navy T-6B A/A but other Navy and occasional USAF types also use that also as A/A.
May I suggest to all RR members please use that Search box in upper right. Just plug in UHF freq you hear and search all over RR or
just this thread.. Great tool :)

Last edited:

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
Common Navy A/A freq.. I have for Navy T-6B A/A but other Navy and occasional USAF types also use that also as A/A.
May I suggest to all RR members please use that Search box in upper right. Just plug in UHF freq you hear and search all over RR or
Yeah and it is a great way to find our own posts from years gone by....

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
UPDATE TO VIP MOVEMENT DATES

Type: Selected ATC Notices
Notice Date: Tuesday, January 30, 2024
Notice Number: NOTC3407
VIP Movement Notification - Philadelphia PA UPDATE
February 01 AND 03, 2024
Philadelphia, PA
30/10 NMR - 17,999' MSL

VIP Movement Notification - Wilmington DE UPDATE 1/30
Notice Number: NOTC3406
February 01-03, 2024
Wilmington, DE
28/12 NMR - 17,999' MSL

Notice Date: Tuesday, January 30, 2024
Notice Number: NOTC3408
VIP Movement Notification - Las Vegas NV
February 04-05, 2024
Las Vegas, NV
30/10 NMR - 17,999' MSL

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:
Yep, I know, that's why I id'd the freq as "Dirty Cheerleader" 246.9 VS "Cheerleader" 246.8( 2.4.6.8.who do we appreciate? that cheerleaders do or used to do.) Often referred to as a TAC freq that can be referred by name without giving the frequency and inasmuch as they're "common" frequencies that aren't presets and can be dialed in / entered into their radios by any aircrew with the proper equipment, their users at any particular time are unknown unless they identify, thus my reason for calling attention to activity on it. Thought someone hearing other activity on a known unit associated frequency or ATC freq that they might have already id'd on and might be able to recognize voices or by timing, figure out who was using it.