New Uniden SDS100 Handheld

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG4KHQ

Premium Subscriber
So, how does Universal Radio fit into all this? Do they have a habit of releasing information first? Have they ever jumped on the "rumor mill" before to be the first to "showcase" a new product? Might they have been duped by some fantasy mock-up someone did? And why would they put themselves in a position to "take the heat"? Then again, UPMan likes to play games. Could this be one of them? But if some real development were just around the corner, wouldn't a real photo of a semi-working prototype be used instead of a cartoon-like mock-up?

I've also wondered about the role of the retailer in all of this. Someone mentioned earlier that this might have been a deliberate leak by Uniden to stir up interest and to possibly have people hold off buying Whistlers for NXDN and the Unification for LSM issues. Would the retailer have anything to gain by participating in this? Was the retailer hacked? Were other retailers approached?

I know I'm adding to the conspiracy theories on here but, to me, this whole thing does not make a whole lot of sense. I would lean more towards some type of hacking but if it was deliberate, I would question if it was a good business practice or not.

richee2000

Communications Professional
Sea Bright NJ, Livingston NJ, Basking Ridge NJ
I've also wondered about the role of the retailer in all of this. Someone mentioned earlier that this might have been a deliberate leak by Uniden to stir up interest and to possibly have people hold off buying Whistlers for NXDN and the Unification for LSM issues. Would the retailer have anything to gain by participating in this? Was the retailer hacked? Were other retailers approached?

I know I'm adding to the conspiracy theories on here but, to me, this whole thing does not make a whole lot of sense. I would lean more towards some type of hacking but if it was deliberate, I would question if it was a good business practice or not.
All speculation
Let's give it some time and I'm sure the truth will come out. Many people have posted that Uniden is no longer manufacturing the 436 model. So a model change would make sense. Many retailers still have 436 in stock. So it would make sense Uniden and others would not want to ruin the sales of existing 436 models in anticipation of a new model. That could be the reason all the information was pulled on this new model.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Unless Uniden refused to allow Universal to sell Uniden products in retaliation, there's no downside for Universal. They get additional web traffic from the buzz.

The most plausible explanation is that this is a deliberate leak of some sort. We will see...

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
HRO has posted scanners in the past that had not received FCC approval. This includes both the Uniden x36's along with the Whistler TRX's. There are people that check search engines for updated websites looking for new pages and that looks to be what happened as the page was on the server but not a link on the website to said page. Google scans websites everynight looking for new pages. We may have been tricked but we will have to wait and see. I for one look forward to a possible base and handheld of this scanner.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
1) BCD436HP is still in production.

2) What was posted was an inaccurate and incomplete page from a PowerPoint of possible new product concepts. If it comes to fruition, I can guarantee that it will have some features not mentioned and will not have several features that were mentioned...and will have significant differences in appearance from what was posted.

3) Uniden did not intentionally leak this. It was unsanctioned and pulled from a page that included several important disclaimers.

4) If you contact Uniden Support, they will have absolutely no more information than you see in this post and in the leaked information. So, leave them alone, please.

5) I intend for this to be my only post regarding this matter.

Last edited:

mule1075

Feed Provider

2) What was posted was an inaccurate and incomplete page from a PowerPoint of possible new product concepts. If it comes to fruition, I can guarantee that it will have some features not mentioned and will not have several features that were mentioned...and will have significant differences in appearance from what was posted.

3) Uniden did not intentionally leak this. It was unsanctioned and pulled from a page that included several important disclaimers.
Thanks Paul for the update and to get rid of some of bs being spewed out.

trp2525

Internal bluetooth is not likely a feature that you would ever see incorporated into a scanner.

I agree. It was challenging enough integrating a GPS receiver module into the 436 in a way that didn't affect reception due to RFI. Putting a transmitter inside the unit would be far more difficult. There's a reason the 536 Wi-Fi is an external dongle, rather than an internal device.

The similar-form-factor West Marine and Uniden VHF handheld marine radios referenced in the above posts do have Bluetooth capability and the radios are designed to continuously scan the VHF marine and WX frequencies that you select in your scan list. Perhaps Uniden found a way to shield the internal Bluetooth from interfering with the VHF receiver? Granted the VHF marine radio has a much smaller receive range compared to an all-band scanner so it probably presents less of a challenge to incorporate Bluetooth into it.

Having read through the product information and the owner's manual for the West Marine radio, the Bluetooth can be used to connect to a Smartphone App (available for both Android and iOS) to set up the radio and to update the radio's firmware. You can also disable the Bluetooth if you want to.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
The similar-form-factor West Marine and Uniden VHF handheld marine radios referenced in the above posts do have Bluetooth capability and the radios are designed to continuously scan the VHF marine and WX frequencies that you select in your scan list.

A very narrow range of frequencies to contend with compared to a wide band scanning receiver.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator

4) If you contact Uniden Support, they will have absolutely no more information than you see in this post and in the leaked information. So, leave them alone, please.

I'm glad I moved this to the Tavern several days ago then. :wink:

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Lots of one-way and two-way communication products have Bluetooth and WiFi capabilities. The arguments against implementing them may have been true years ago with older tech, but not necessarily now, with modern equipment.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Granted the VHF marine radio has a much smaller receive range compared to an all-band scanner so it probably presents less of a challenge to incorporate Bluetooth into it.

Exactly. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I know from personal experience that it is a PITA, even for a GPS receiver that is not designed to transmit.

W5RGP

HERE IS UNIDENS OFFICIAL RESPONSE : 1) BCD436HP is still in production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
HERE IS UNIDENS OFFICIAL RESPONSE : 1) BCD436HP is still in production.

Seriously??? Wasn't this just posted in this same exact forum less than 2 hours ago???

W5RGP

Seriously??? Wasn't this just posted in this same exact forum less than 2 hours ago???

Seriously !!
I didn’t see it If it was I got this from another forum

Probably won’t be the last time it gets posted here either

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
And then there are those of us who said, "I told you so."

Status
Not open for further replies.