Northern Kentucky Regional Communications System (NKYRCS)

swstow

Premium Subscriber
I fully agree with the encryption level that they are going with , as a former LEO , I understand the difference between public need to know , and officer safety , tactical safety, and with the amount of information run on people and the ability of people to use that information in the wrong way , encryption is a safe balance

Qwerty7

Premium Subscriber
Hi. I understand why The Scanner Guys spend so much time trying to get people on board with Railfanning with a simple Non Trunking Analog Scanner. They know PD scanning is becoming a thing of the past so let's go chase trains and planes. Its all thats left. Even fast food restaurants have gone spread spectrum. Good Lord.
Glad I have my Ham License.
Qwerty7

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
Just an FYI, I have been hearing voice dispatching for Campbell County FD's on the 19 ALERT (10051) talk group for the past few days.

They are still using VHF for all other operations as of right now.

BaldSafetyGuy

Premium Subscriber
Just an FYI, I have been hearing voice dispatching for Campbell County FD's on the 19 ALERT (10051) talk group for the past few days.

They are still using VHF for all other operations as of right now.
The last I heard, about 2 weeks ago, they were supposed to do their switchover Wednesday, but a lot of the radios arrived improperly programmed so that caused some delays. Maybe sometime in the next decade or so, CC Fire will switch over.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
The last I heard, about 2 weeks ago, they were supposed to do their switchover Wednesday, but a lot of the radios arrived improperly programmed so that caused some delays. Maybe sometime in the next decade or so, CC Fire will switch over.
Interesting. Wednesday is when I started hearing voice dispatching on 19 ALERT so it appears they got that part switched over.

Now if they would put up a patch between VHF and 19 FD OPS we would be in business.

Tjy

Premium Subscriber
Hey @scannerboy02 any Channel updates I have noticed on my scanner there are more channels coming through that I don’t have any names for so I was wondering if you have updated list of the channels

Remington12G

GØT AES?
I see that talkgroups 30019, 30022, and 30024 have been updated to City to City Regional Channels. Has any actually heard them say "Unit xx on Regional X" because I have an updated list showing these as department channels. I know when units come up on area wide they identify the channel.

Last edited:

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
They are not properly labeled in the database.

30019 is 59 EDGEWOOD PD
30022 is 59FT MTCHLL PD
30024 is 59 INDPNDCE PD

They are used for the officers to talk amongst themselves. They are often referred to as the "city" channel over the radio, as in "unit x switch to city". Each fire department and public works department also have "city" channels.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
They are not properly labeled in the database.

30019 is 59 EDGEWOOD PD
30022 is 59FT MTCHLL PD
30024 is 59 INDPNDCE PD

They are used for the officers to talk amongst themselves. They are often referred to as the "city" channel over the radio, as in "unit x switch to city". Each fire department and public works department also have "city" channels.
That's what I have as well. I figured the "city" part might have been mistaken for regional calling. Thanks

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
Glad to see some Interoperability taking place with outside agencies. Sounds Great!

RID 55011 - Hamilton County Sheriff's Office Chopper

Traffic was on: 4960 - NKY AREA WIDE
Recorded By: Calls Node
Audio Link: https://calls.broadcastify.com/282/1620828335-4960.mp3
I also heard that yesterday.

I'm not sure why the RID was 55011. Yesterday was the first time that RID has affiliated with the system. At first I thought it may be some kind of link from Hamilton County or Cincinnati but I had UniTrunker running on the NKY RCS as well as the Hamilton County and Cincinnati MARCS sites and I didn't see anything other than what was heard on the NKY RCS.

Of note, RID 55012 has also been seen on the system with the first time being 11/30/2020 and the last being 05/11/2021. I also have ten RID's in the 220xx range seen on the system with most of them first seen in the late July into early August 2020 timeframe. Lots of 3131xxx and 318xxxx radios have been on the system as well and those RID's would seem to line up with Hamilton County, Ohio radios.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
I had a conversation with a person a month or two ago about Interoperability on the system. They mentioned that Cincinnati and Hamilton County agencies have the NKYRCS in their radios, and, can in fact operate on the NKYRCS without a bridge or patch from MARCS.

I believe Dearborn County Agencies also have the NKYRCS in their radios but don't quote me on it.

Firemusic11

I am currently using an SDS100 for a scanner. I’m looking at adding an external radio for my car (specifically a Larsen tri-band antenna). Would there be any added benefit(s) by getting one of the Larsen’s in the 700-860 range versus 800-900 range?
especially since the NKY system is so close to the upper end of the 700 range.

tvengr

Well Known Member
The new 700 MHz version also has a spring to protect it when hitting objects. You are better off with an antenna designed for 700/800 MHz coverage.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
Two years ago today this system went on the air and it appears they are still having issues with audio levels on many of the radios, particularly in Campbell County. I was monitoring a fire on Mary Ingles last weekend and the incident commander and a few other radios were blowing the speaker out of my radio while other radios I could barley hear. You could tell the dispatchers were getting annoyed every time the incident commander would come up on primary and talk with them because his audio was so loud. I would truly hate to be a dispatcher with a headset on having this much fluctuation in the audio levels between different radios and users.

Tjy

Premium Subscriber
As of today (12/13/21) I saw a new TGID for the NKY RCS system.
Unknown TGID: 30460
If I hear right they called it the “NKY EM Channel”
If someone has information about this talk group please get back with me. I don’t see it on The RR Database or my own channel chart.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
As of today (12/13/21) I saw a new TGID for the NKY RCS system.
Unknown TGID: 30460
If I hear right they called it the “NKY EM Channel”
If someone has information about this talk group please get back with me. I don’t see it on The RR Database or my own channel chart.
Yes, that should be the 'NKY EM' (Northern Kentucky Emergency Management) talkgroup.

Reactions: Tjy