Remote On/Off Power Switch without corrupting memory cards?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
With Michigan's new strict Distracted Driver Law I'm considering mounting a SDS200 scanner in the back cargo area of my Ford Edge. I want to pre-set the volume control and power the scanner On & Off from a remote switch in the 12V line to the scanner. As I recall this might corrupt the Micro SD memory card as it doesn't give the scanner a chance to write to the card before loosing power. Is that a known issue? If so, anyone find a way around it? If the scanner is not recording, does ever write to the card while scanning?

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
A previous thread addressed your question with a caveat... It is OK to do as you suggest and NOT corrupt your SD Card. Provided you are NOT using the Record feature.

I’ve been running my SDS200 mobile since they first came out, and have been powering it from the accessory side of the ignition switch. When I turn my truck off the scanner looses power. When I turn my truck on my scanner regains power. I leave the volume control set to where I like it and leave the scanner on. It comes on when the truck is running and turns off when the truck is shut off. I do not use the Record feature.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
A previous thread addressed your question with a caveat... It is OK to do as you suggest and NOT corrupt your SD Card. Provided you are NOT using the Record feature.

I’ve been running my SDS200 mobile since they first came out, and have been powering it from the accessory side of the ignition switch. When I turn my truck off the scanner looses power. When I turn my truck on my scanner regains power. I leave the volume control set to where I like it and leave the scanner on. It comes on when the truck is running and turns off when the truck is shut off. I do not use the Record feature.

I forgot to mention one thing… if you change any setting on the scanner (and want to keep it) you must first reboot the scanner manually. Manually, using the on/off switch on the scanner, turn it off while the vehicle is still running and supplying power to the scanner. The scanner has a shut down process where… before it shuts down completely it writes the current configuration and any changes you made to the SD Card. Once the screen goes black you can turn it back on and resume normal.

RFI-EMI-GUY

If the scanner is mounted out of view . How do you intend to turn it on and off normally? You could wire a switch to dump speaker audio into a 8 ohm termination.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
If I could add one more step to your idea, install a time delay relay between the scanner and the ignition switched power source. This allows the car to go from ACC>RUN>START>RUN during a start sequence. This will keep the scanner off for X seconds after the key is turned. This helps with the ON-OFF-ON cycle your scanner me see while the car starts and the batt voltage dips slightly while cranking the engine.
I do this in my work truck and it's been working awesome for years.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
If the scanner is mounted out of view . How do you intend to turn it on and off normally? You could wire a switch to dump speaker audio into a 8 ohm termination.
A remote manual power switch in the 12V line is sufficient. Why do I need to dump the audio into an 8 ohm termination? I plan on connecting a remote speaker to the audio output of the scanner so I can listen to it. No law against that.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
If I could add one more step to your idea, install a time delay relay between the scanner and the ignition switched power source. This allows the car to go from ACC>RUN>START>RUN during a start sequence. This will keep the scanner off for X seconds after the key is turned. This helps with the ON-OFF-ON cycle your scanner me see while the car starts and the batt voltage dips slightly while cranking the engine.
I'm not planning on controlling the 12V from the ignition switch. I'm just going to use a manual On/Off switch in the 12V source to the scanner.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

Even though I'm not using the ignition switch to control power, your suggestion is excellent!

Thanks

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Out of curiosity....
What is this new law?
You actually can't have anything with a display operating within view while driving?
Or, is is you can't diddle with it while driving?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

n1chu

Premium Subscriber

Good point. But since the OP wants to put the scanner out of sight he is going to need to do any changes (updating the data base, etc.) while the vehicle is running… and when finished with that, he can now turn off the vehicle. It’s not how the scanner was intended to work, obviously. You loose that customizable colored display (which I suspect is one of the features that makes the SDS series popular) and the ability to “Avoid” a noisy signal. I predict this setup will get old very fast. You can’t even turn the volume down if an errant signal becomes bothersome without first stopping to make adjustments!

RFI-EMI-GUY

Good point. But since the OP wants to put the scanner out of sight he is going to need to do any changes (updating the data base, etc.) while the vehicle is running… and when finished with that, he can now turn off the vehicle. It’s not how the scanner was intended to work, obviously. You loose that customizable colored display (which I suspect is one of the features that makes the SDS series popular) and the ability to “Avoid” a noisy signal. I predict this setup will get old very fast. You can’t even turn the volume down if an errant signal becomes bothersome without first stopping to make adjustments!
I had always hoped uniden would have made an option for the third wire , dimmer, on the 536 to give choice of either dimmer or ignition sense. Having ignition sense would give a graceful shutdown upon removing power from that lead.

RFI-EMI-GUY

It's insane!

Distracting activities include:

Go to this thread for further discussion on the new Michigan law:
Looks like we'll need to be more creative with using radio gear in our vehicles!
I don't read anything that requires you to remotely mount the scanner. The law is based upon behavior, which will be hard to prove unless the police see you or you fess up.

Secondly, unless you are a criminal, Michigan law apparently does not prohibit having a scanner in your possession.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Can we please keep this about a solution to the question and not about the reason for wanting it? I said please.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I have been running a pair of 536's in my vehicle with the power switched by the ignition for almost a decade and after turning off the Replay/Record feature I have not had any SD Card issues. This would certainly apply to your plan on using a remote power switch.

Just in case though I keep a spare SD Card in the car all the time, I am certain that as soon as I forget to bring one I will finally get a corrupted card!

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I agree with N9JIG and N1CHU... I too have been running the 536/200 in a vehicle off the ignition sense with no issues for a long time. Before his untimely passing, I had the occasion to drive the Upman around Louisville when he was in town for a trade show and we discussed the setup. He didn't give me the "Gosh By Gollies" for the setup.

I encourage access to the controls some kind of way for Avoid and volume purposes.

A while back N9JIG was telling me about some kind of Raspberry Pi setup where I could use ProScan and an old iPhone for remote control purposes if that might be an option.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
There’s also the laptop computer setup. Your radio display and controls are available up front… some tout that as a hinderance, distracting the driver, but there are others that say they find one quick glance at the larger laptop display a safer way, instead of trying to read the radio’s smaller display, taking numerous glances at it. I go with the laptop method as my eyes aren’t what they used to be, the only disadvantage is the laptop mounting system can get in the way of a passenger. I have the type that bolts to the passenger seat using existing floor bolts. You can seat a passenger comfortably with it with the larger vehicles such as the F-150 I have. But the smaller vehicles would probably have a problem with larger passengers.