Rockford Police Going Fully Encrypted

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
In the local paper today there is a article that the "Police Chief" here wants the good citizens to be MORE aware of what crimes are being committed here and to bring the public up to snuf to get more citizen involvement....Maybe he should be reminded that his choice of "ENC" for all departments did not help...I'm hearing some rumors that some police departments that are "ENC" now are thinking of using a "streaming delay" of 20 minutes to put out calls as bank robberies for example as to gather more info from witnesses....Most officers I have talked with favor "public help" and just "ENC" for sensitive matters.....

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
In the local paper today there is a article that the "Police Chief" here wants the good citizens to be MORE aware of what crimes are being committed here and to bring the public up to snuf to get more citizen involvement....Maybe he should be reminded that his choice of "ENC" for all departments did not help...I'm hearing some rumors that some police departments that are "ENC" now are thinking of using a "streaming delay" of 20 minutes to put out calls as bank robberies for example as to gather more info from witnesses....Most officers I have talked with favor "public help" and just "ENC" for sensitive matters.....
. I have THIS take on the subject. Considering the number of armed military vets even in one community, if one cop gets in a premeditated jam, who do you think will get him out? It won't be his beloved backup. Chances are high it would be one of us. After all we won't leave one of our own, so we already have that mindset. ;) 73, n9zas

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
Many citizens are speaking up on the topic. And are highly against it

They already use encryption on most their channels, also cell phones and MDT's for their "Sensitive information"

The police have said, it is the scanner apps, that they are worried about most. Not the actual scanners themselves.

So can't they just contact Broadcastify and get the feeds pulled instead?

I bet in the next few months, or even a year their new slogan will be "Crime is down"

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
1) Be the police chief or someone in the PD who has decision making power.
2) Be the radio communications adviser.
3) Get elected to the city government.
4) Utilize activism to create change. Change the law.
5) Boycott all businesses in the jurisdiction; stop all spending in the area. Then let the businesses know why (because of your safety).
6) Stop all support of the PD and local government. No more donations. No more voting for bonds.
7) Fire those responsible. The reason doesn't have to be because of encryption.
8) Move. (When all those able to move do, then who will pay for the PD?)

Inherently, in our country, we do have a right to scan. Any state or local jurisdiction that has laws otherwise should be challenged (of course, you will have to get charged first to have cause). Furthermore, this idea that preferred individuals somehow have a greater expectation to life than the rest of us is absurd. Everyone should have access to lifesaving information. Where I come from, you point a gun only at something you intend to destroy. How many of you live in areas where the state will point a gun at someone for no reason other than because they "can" or because they want to intimidate? How often are people tasered? What is the conviction rate of those arrested? It's time to start putting people in their place, and I'm not referring to the citizenry.

If something must be banned because some people might use it for evil, then, honestly, pretty much everything in our society should be banned.

gewecke

Banned
I don't know why RPD would be so bent about the feeds because as mentioned they could have those pulled. The feeds can't rebroadcast the low power tac freqs or cell phones, yet they want to alienate the public instead? For a department that claims transparency they sure send the wrong message. 73, n9zas

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
The feed excuse is just cover. If they were to blame people specifically, they would start alienating groups fast: the media, scanner owners, law abiding public, etc. If they stated the real reasons for concealing communications, they would be exposing their incompetency, failure to the people, and unprofessionalism, and also risk delegitimizing their existence. So, instead, they blame Broadcastify, which they consider to be a victimless accusation. I can't wait until one day the mayor is the feed provider. 32,000 people are listening to Broadcastify right now; where is the flood of news stories, research, and evidence that streaming radio traffic is causing legitimate problems?

gewecke

Banned
I didn't see a date mentioned for this transition? I'm still hearing them on Vhf East & West in the clear. Too bad it's not just inversion ( not that I'm anxious for it to happen.). 73, n9zas

usswood

1) Be the police chief or someone in the PD who has decision making power.
2) Be the radio communications adviser.
3) Get elected to the city government.
4) Utilize activism to create change. Change the law.
5) Boycott all businesses in the jurisdiction; stop all spending in the area. Then let the businesses know why (because of your safety).
6) Stop all support of the PD and local government. No more donations. No more voting for bonds.
7) Fire those responsible. The reason doesn't have to be because of encryption.
8) Move. (When all those able to move do, then who will pay for the PD?)

Inherently, in our country, we do have a right to scan. Any state or local jurisdiction that has laws otherwise should be challenged (of course, you will have to get charged first to have cause). Furthermore, this idea that preferred individuals somehow have a greater expectation to life than the rest of us is absurd. Everyone should have access to lifesaving information. Where I come from, you point a gun only at something you intend to destroy. How many of you live in areas where the state will point a gun at someone for no reason other than because they "can" or because they want to intimidate? How often are people tasered? What is the conviction rate of those arrested? It's time to start putting people in their place, and I'm not referring to the citizenry.

If something must be banned because some people might use it for evil, then, honestly, pretty much everything in our society should be banned.

Positive attitude and positive thinking will result in positive outcomes.... lest we forget people "We the People" Pay the BILLS!!!!!

D

darunimal

Chicago's encrypted Comm's haven't even slowed the Cook Co. Killing Fields there, in fact it's blossomed and multiplied, since encryption. You can put bullet proof glass anywhere, but you always walk from behind it, every day/night to go home, that why every business doesn't have it, it could save a life, but only for the period of time your behind it, once out from behind it, it's worthless.... Encryption is the same, Officers are in plain view multiple times a shift, so what does encrypted comm's actual protect, it's a seriously flawed thought and may actually give a highly-problematic false sense of security. Just as the bullet-proof glass does, how many banks have doors???

D

darunimal

Hate to tell you Chicago is not encrypted. Cook County sheriff is not the same...nice try

So the point remains for any applicable agency, encryption is providing a false sense of security which benefits no one, may even be the cause of lives lost. Unintended consequences of encryption are NOT thought about, until after it causes a death or fails to save a life.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
more ramblings... yada yada.. Fact is..the technology is available it can protect officers why not use it to their advantage. That's the way the world is going.. time to get over it

D

darunimal

more ramblings... yada yada..
PROFESSIONAL Posturing, ramble on about what a salesman told you, real pro there. I hope you wear the Sumo Suit they sold you protect you from falling too....

Attachments

• BlueSumoSuitPD.jpg
    BlueSumoSuitPD.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 359

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
@FFPM571 - YOU were mistaken. Your earlier post claimed our listening is a "privilege" Not true. The privilege is on the officers and public sector worker's side to work for US and to have us pay their way and all that expensive equipment. They need to start paying their "fair share" and allow the public to listen and to help them instead of declaring us all terrorists and not trustworthy. Complaining and fighting to keep our rights that we have had for our lifetime isn't a waste of time, It's our right. Watching them erode and having to listen to nincompoops like you say "no big deal" shows the problem in our country... you.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Well here come the personal attacks. hate to tell all the butt hurt scannerheads. Encryption is here. You can complain and cry all you want. Won't change. Keep it up and it will be like Europe where everything is Tetra and nothing can be monitored. as Bob Dylan says...Times they are a changing...

usswood

the personal attack is you basically telling people to shut up on the subject itself! Last time I checked this was America and the will of the people is first and up most to all of us, especially here at Independence Day. This is why this country was founded! And for you to sit their and type us all away cause in your HO it is here to say is itself a slap in the face to any tax paying citizen in this Great Country! Things change, people make them happen, we don't have to let others tell us what is best for us! We are all grown and able to make those decisions starting with voting out the ones who won't listen to us!

bailly2

you can listen to the input frequencies attenuated with a stub antenna for nascar, then if you pick up a signal then there is something happening very close to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.