Sacramento P25 system

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
While at home I monitor all 3 systems (P25, city analog, county analog); but when mobile I've mostly only been monitoring analog and I've noticed the traffic level is not what it used to be. I know there is stuff on P25 only. Thanks for the heads up.

LNUradioguy

Looks like UC Davis did some RF coverage testing with their new site in the early hours of Tuesday. They took 2 voice channels from the existing UC Davis system. Sounds SRRCS wants to have everyone off the old system and the Davis sites online before January.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
Looks like UC Davis did some RF coverage testing with their new site in the early hours of Tuesday. They took 2 voice channels from the existing UC Davis system. Sounds SRRCS wants to have everyone off the old system and the Davis sites online before January.
Did you monitor any of this testing?

Do they still have a P25 control channel on the air?

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Did you monitor any of this testing?

Do they still have a P25 control channel on the air?

I received a submission with the UC Davis Fire talkgroups and added them to the SRRCS P25 system. In light of the fact that they're doing site coverage testing, should we keep them in the database? Or hold off?

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
I received a submission with the UC Davis Fire talkgroups and added them to the SRRCS P25 system. In light of the fact that they're doing site coverage testing, should we keep them in the database? Or hold off?

Are you asking if you should remove the UCDFD talkgroups from the UC Davis SmartNet system, or hold off from adding them (or, at this point, removing them) from the SRRCS P25 system?

If the former, UCDFD is still using their UC Davis SmartNet talkgroups as of September 9th. If the latter, I say any talkgroups that are submitted should be added, if the person submitting has verified them (either through listening or obtaining from other sources).

The new TGIDs added to the P25 system I can confirm have had West Sac FD and Sacramento FD radio IDs joining these past few months (running Unitrunker 24/7).

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Are you asking if you should remove the UCDFD talkgroups from the UC Davis SmartNet system, or hold off from adding them (or, at this point, removing them) from the SRRCS P25 system?

If the former, UCDFD is still using their UC Davis SmartNet talkgroups as of September 9th. If the latter, I say any talkgroups that are submitted should be added, if the person submitting has verified them (either through listening or obtaining from other sources).

The new TGIDs added to the P25 system I can confirm have had West Sac FD and Sacramento FD radio IDs joining these past few months (running Unitrunker 24/7).

Thanks. By policy we don't add unverified talkgroup information. We also don't indefinitely leave "planned" talkgroup info in a system that hasn't cut over yet. However in this case in light of the fact that UCD Fire has a P25 site that has already been intermittently tested I think now is the time to add the talkgroups.

mcjones2013

Premium Subscriber
Just wanted to give an update on what I've observed with listening to the new P25 system, and watching it via Unitrunker (always running):

--
(Primary users that have all or a good majority of radios on P25; may still have some on SmartZone)
California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation
California Department of Justice (encrypted talk groups)
Citrus Heights Police
Cosumnes Community Services District Fire
Courtland Fire
Elk Grove Unified School District Transportation
Elk Grove Water District
Folsom Fire
Freeway Service Patrol
Fulton-El Camino Park District Police
Galt Police
Herald Fire
Isleton Fire
Los Rios Community College District Police
Rancho Murieta Community Services District Security
River Delta Fire
Sacramento (City) Fire
Sacramento (City) Local Government
Sacramento (County) Airport
Sacramento (County) Local Government (including law enforcement, i.e. Coroner, Probation, Park Rangers, etc.)
Sacramento (County) Sheriff
Sacramento Metropolitan Fire
Twin Rivers Unified School District Police
Washington Unified
West Sacramento Fire
West Sacramento Local Government
Wilton Fire

__
(Primary users that have no indication of radios on P25, or a small portion of confirmed P25 radios being used)
Elk Grove Unified School District Police (some P25 radios being used)
Folsom Police
Rancho Cordova Local Government (some P25 radio being used)
Sacramento (City) Police
Sacramento Regional Transit Bus
Sacramento Regional Transit Community Bus (some P25 radios being used)
Sacramento Regional Transit Light Rail (some P25 radios being used)
Sacramento Regional Transit Police (some P25 radios being used)
Walnut Grove Fire
West Sacramento Police

__
(Secondary users that I've confirmed have access to and have used the P25 system)
California Department of Consumer Affairs (Bureau of Cannabis Control)
El Dorado Hills Fire
Lodi Fire
Sacramento City Unified School District Security
San Joaquin County Joint Radio Users Group (Fire)
Rio Vista Police
Roseville Police
Roseville Fire

KG7PBS

California Department of Consumer Affairs (Bureau of Cannabis Control. Okay you got to tell us what talk groups they're using

mcjones2013

Premium Subscriber
California Department of Consumer Affairs (Bureau of Cannabis Control. Okay you got to tell us what talk groups they're using

They're secondary users, so they can only use the radio system when talking to a primary user. For example, they used the radio system when they did a raid with Sheriff a few weeks ago. Secondary users do not have their own talkgroups on the system.

mcjones2013

Premium Subscriber
This week, the following agencies are starting their transition to the P25 network:

Elk Grove Unified School District, Safety and Security Department (Transportation Department has already transitioned)
Folsom Police Department (Fire Department has already transitioned)
Sacramento Police Department (Fire Department and local government departments have already transitioned)

mcjones2013

Premium Subscriber
Any update on the status of the Davis site(s)?

As of 11/14, the site has yet to be activated. It has not popped up on Unitrunker as a peer to Site 12 (Countywide Simulcast). I drove to Davis last week just to see if possibly it's broadcasting a signal in an isolated mode, but found nothing.

mcjones2013

Premium Subscriber
A new voice channel for Site 12 was added at 11:30 this morning. 851.0500 has been taken from Site 1 and transferred to Site 12. I'll submit to the database.

bigRoN18

Premium Subscriber
I've been noticing quite a bit of traffic from a new talkgroup, 2843, which does not show up in the database at this moment. Seeing as though Rancho Murieta Community Services District has talkgroups 2837, 2839, and 2841, then there is a gap until 2851 for Washington Unified School District, it would make sense to be from Rancho Murieta, but the traffic I hear involves making an entry into a house. I guess it could be security making a welfare check or something, but I'm trying to figure it out by context. Does anyone know anything about Talkgroup 2843? I currently have all known talkgroups that I know but don't care about muted, so when new talkgroups pop up, I hear them.

LNUradioguy

I've been noticing quite a bit of traffic from a new talkgroup, 2843, which does not show up in the database at this moment. Seeing as though Rancho Murieta Community Services District has talkgroups 2837, 2839, and 2841, then there is a gap until 2851 for Washington Unified School District, it would make sense to be from Rancho Murieta, but the traffic I hear involves making an entry into a house. I guess it could be security making a welfare check or something, but I'm trying to figure it out by context. Does anyone know anything about Talkgroup 2843? I currently have all known talkgroups that I know but don't care about muted, so when new talkgroups pop up, I hear them.

This block of 4 talkgroups is assigned to CDCR

2843 Parole North 1
2845 Parole North TAC 1
2847 Parole South
2849 Parole South TAC 1

bigRoN18

Premium Subscriber
This block of 4 talkgroups is assigned to CDCR

2843 Parole North 1
2845 Parole North TAC 1
2847 Parole South
2849 Parole South TAC 1

That makes much more sense, based on the traffic I was hearing, than it being Rancho Murieta Community Services... it was sounding more like law enforcement-type traffic; like it was a SWAT team. I was probably hearing them making a visit on a parole violator.

joebob22

Premium Subscriber
I have a question, one thing I have noticed that Sac's analog I can receive better than the digital.
The digital I can not receive well enough to say so.
Thanks

mcjones2013

Premium Subscriber
I have a question, one thing I have noticed that Sac's analog I can receive better than the digital.
The digital I can not receive well enough to say so.
Thanks

What scanner are you using? If you're using anything but the new SDS models, you're likely suffering from Simulcast Distortion.

My advice, for anyone who hasn't already done it, buy the SDS100 if you want to scan SRRCS. It's superior to anything else I've tested.

clanusb

I don't have any problems monitoring it with my BCD996P2 and the new Larsen triband NMO on my truck. Just the occasional dead spot here and there (Arden/Watt, Downtown areas, Sunrise/FOB), but its been crystal clear everywhere I do get signal.

crucialcolin

Depends on where you are too. Both SRRCS digital and analog reception is pretty bad from Roseville. Cant pick up p25 traffic at all on my BCD325P2.