BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Scan while plugged in (solution)

Status
Not open for further replies.

a417

U+0000
Yep...that's a battery eliminator. They ultimately show up for nearly everything.

I always test them with a reasonable load on them, some of the cheaper ones can be unstable and some equipment won't tolerate it well. One rally cheap one had an unloaded floating voltage that was like 22 volts... that killed my PRO-95.

Last edited:

seesharp15

Premium Subscriber
some of the cheaper ones can be unstable and some equipment won't tolerate it well.

That’s actually really good info... Thanks. I’ll disconnect until I test them tomorrow 😁

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I had one for the 9 volt AM/FM transistor radios back in the day... remembering the Panasonic transistor radios (I think before integrated circuit chips!), pocket sized for when on the move. But disposable 9 volt batteries got expensive so the eliminator came in handy when I could plug it into AC.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I had one for the 9 volt AM/FM transistor radios back in the day... remembering the Panasonic transistor radios (I think before integrated circuit chips!), pocket sized for when on the move. But disposable 9 volt batteries got expensive so the eliminator came in handy when I could plug it into AC.
Yep,

Back when RadioShack had the "One Free Battery per Month" club card, the 9 volt cell was by far the most requested size for the free battery!
The two stores near me would run out of 9 volt cells the first few days of each month.

I also had a battery eliminator but it was custom made for some old video camera or digital camera I had back then. Being made by the manufacturer of the device, it had a proper entry for the wire to exit. I don't think I ever used the thing but I remember it came with the camera which was probably a bargain when you look at how much some manufacturers get these days for custom AA cell battery holders to be used in place of the Lithium battery pack when it has ran dead and you are out in the field.
I had another one that also took AA cells or you could use an external supply plugged into the devices barrel type power jack. I'm thinking that one was from one of the amateur radio manufacturers for some old portable but not positive.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
BCDx36HP series don’t allow charging/usage while USB is inserted

OK I sold my BCD436HP so I can't verify it for myself, but I'm pretty sure you're wrong. My memory isn't as good as it once was, but I'm pretty sure I powered mine using the USB connection all the time. And this is from the manual:

Power Requirements: 3 X AA Rechargeable Ni-MH Batteries (2300mAh) (included)3 X AA Alkaline Batteries (not included)DV 5 .0V ±5% . Connect to PC with USB cable (included).

Perhaps someone else who has a BCD436HP can chime in. Oh ... you need to pick "serial", not "mass storage" ....

racingfan360

mc48

Premium Subscriber
Yes it does, I run it like this all the time. Like Sallen07 stated select "serial" or do nothing and it defaults to serial and runs off the USB supply.
The 436 will not charge while in operation.

GregOH

One of the family members gave me a 2200mah power bank and I'm wondering would this charge a SDS100 battery if needed? The output on it is 5v/850ma.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I think that it changed in a later firmware for the BCD436 to allow it to be powered from USB.

/Ubbe
The 436 firmware allows run or charge from USB, but not both at the same time.

The only way to do both simultaneously is to mod the scanner.

MDScanFan

GregOH

Yep...that's a battery eliminator. They ultimately show up for nearly everything.

I always test them with a reasonable load on them, some of the cheaper ones can be unstable and some equipment won't tolerate it well. One rally cheap one had an unloaded floating voltage that was like 22 volts... that killed my PRO-95.
After reading this, I don't think I'll use one. I mean how do you know which one to trust? Can some type of voltage regulator be used with one?

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
You can pull the batt's and charge them with an external charger while you run the scanner from USB power...
Done it many times when I had my 436...
Of course you risk SD card corruption if you loose usb power...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.