SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 Revisited....

Aviation_Scanner

WSEY205
Premium Subscriber
Been a while since I last posted here. Ended up getting a job.

Now that I have a job and have purchased a steam deck (For those of you that do not know what a steam deck is, it is valve's portable gaming PC), I am looking at saving up and purchasing an SDS100 Scanner.

Have a couple of questions about it.

1. Should I buy it directly from the uniden website? If so, does it come with the NXDN out of the box? (On second thoughts, I may not get/use the NXDN upgrade, since most agencies I want to listen to use VHF/UHF, DMR & Project 25 Phase II, Only found one agency in my area which uses NXDN).

2. Is it easy to learn how to program the SDS100 (Going to download the manual from uniden's website & start reading, even though it will be a couple of months before I can get one :D) coming from a Radio Shack Pro-164? I will probably end up getting the ARC programming software for the SDS100, as that is what I use for my Pro-164.

3. Are there any other scanners, regardless of brand, I should consider?

mc48

Premium Subscriber
MTC Radio often has sales on Uniden scanners. Upgrades for DMR, NXDN are available directly from Uniden and you should download Uniden Sentinel for the X36 scanners to play around with programming, you also need this to update the database and for firmware updates as well.

Aviation_Scanner

WSEY205
Premium Subscriber
MTC Radio often has sales on Uniden scanners. Upgrades for DMR, NXDN are available directly from Uniden and you should download Uniden Sentinel for the X36 scanners to play around with programming, you also need this to update the database and for firmware updates as well.

Thanks for the helpful information.

If anyone has anything else to add, please feel free to do so.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
If anyone has anything else to add, please feel free to do so.

Just to add emphasis to what mc48 posted above, don't purchase any upgrades from the dealer when you purchase your SDS100. You can purchase the upgrades yourself after the scanner purchase for a much better price anytime you want, direct from Uniden for a much better price. You can get one at a time or all at once if you need them.

A very easy process and just takes a few minutes to install at home. Get them direct from Uniden at these prices...

DMR = $60
NXDN = $50
ProVoice = $50
Waterfall Key = $20.00

Most dealers charge much more for each upgrade, Here's a list from Bearcat Warehouse (now called Police Scanners):

1720191775089.png

dmfalk

Worth having all the upgrades, IMO.... You never know when you need them, since not everyone is in the database! Sometimes, some itinerant business radios have NXDN or MotoTRBO or DMR in use... I've heard a few, even in this rural area of California I'm in...

Aviation_Scanner

WSEY205
Premium Subscriber
Worth having all the upgrades, IMO.... You never know when you need them, since not everyone is in the database! Sometimes, some itinerant business radios have NXDN or MotoTRBO or DMR in use... I've heard a few, even in this rural area of California I'm in...
I will end up getting the DMR and NXDN upgrades.
Provoice is not widely used in my area anymore, so I will wait until I need it to get it.

I do not know what the waterfall key is for, so not sure if I really need that or not.

BC_Scan

Been a while since I last posted here. Ended up getting a job.

Now that I have a job and have purchased a steam deck (For those of you that do not know what a steam deck is, it is valve's portable gaming PC), I am looking at saving up and purchasing an SDS100 Scanner.

Have a couple of questions about it.

1. Should I buy it directly from the uniden website? If so, does it come with the NXDN out of the box? (On second thoughts, I may not get/use the NXDN upgrade, since most agencies I want to listen to use VHF/UHF, DMR & Project 25 Phase II, Only found one agency in my area which uses NXDN).

2. Is it easy to learn how to program the SDS100 (Going to download the manual from uniden's website & start reading, even though it will be a couple of months before I can get one :D) coming from a Radio Shack Pro-164? I will probably end up getting the ARC programming software for the SDS100, as that is what I use for my Pro-164.

3. Are there any other scanners, regardless of brand, I should consider?
1- not necessarily ( I said due to my area all ENC) I would never buy this unit , but along came a great local deal a 100E with NXDN?DMR?PV allready included (Euro Mkt) I snapped it up a month ago couldn't be happier , despite my 436 being my go to portable
2- steep learning curve for me with dynamic memory many hours spent learning , but now absolute master!
3- NO

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I will probably end up getting the ARC programming software for the SDS100, as that is what I use for my Pro-164.

Before you decide on that, have a look at ProScan Software. The content and features are the very best value around for the money, and aren't matched by any other software. Myself and many other members of the forums recommend it very highly:

Aviation_Scanner

WSEY205
Premium Subscriber
Before you decide on that, have a look at ProScan Software. The content and features are the very best value around for the money, and aren't matched by any other software. Myself and many other members of the forums recommend it very highly:

Mind is already made up, sticking with ARC since I am familiar with that software, seeing as how I have used ARC with my Pro-164..
Sure there will be a learning curve with the SDS-100, but at least I will be familiar with the UI of ARC.

Aviation_Scanner

WSEY205
Premium Subscriber
I installed the Sentinel software to take a look at it.
I cannot seem to find any railroad frequencies.
I am in Harris County, Texas if anyone could point me in the right direction.

dmfalk

Provoice is not widely used in my area anymore, so I will wait until I need it to get it.

I do not know what the waterfall key is for, so not sure if I really need that or not.
I have the ProVoice "just in case", especially since what few travels take me these days includes Sacramento, which does have ProVoice-enabled EDACS.

And "Waterfall" gives a visual bandscope, SDR-style, that shows the progression of signals. (Others here can explain it better.) I do find it useful, since I use it to find signals not normally in the database, as well as, as I just did, find out why my local PD and FD conventional P25 channels weren't working. (Turned out they've changed NACs, no longer using 293 NAC....) Some others think it kinda useless, and not worth the $20.

So, it's really up to you, but I like being prepared, and my SDS100 has been a worthwhile expenditure. :)

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
If a channel is marked encrypted, that means no scanner will be able to pick it up?

That is correct. Note that in the RR database a lower case “e” means that the channel has been observed to be using encryption part of the time (may still be worth monitoring), whereas an upper case “E” indicates full time encryption.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Location is everything, but in my experience DMR is used fairly heavily, NXDN is sporadically used, and there is only 1 Provoice system and it is being phased out over the next year or so. Provoice is obsolete/not being used anymore so I doubt you're ever going to need it if you don't have a system within range already