SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 SENTINEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

w5acv

Premium Subscriber
I purchased my #3 SDS100. Other two running fine, sentinel fine. #3 arrives, quick connect, fav lists, all good. So I realize I have a "better/newer" laptop, download sentinel, on it, connect #3 to it, "write from scanner". NOTHING. So I reformat sd card, and erase user settings, and run from zipcode. ALL GOOD. So the sentinel software is not working anymore. The orig sentinel/laptop is gone. To reiterate- sds100 will not run from my fav lists on sentinel. The scanner LOOKS like it will, shows systems, depts etc. Nothing received ever. I tried to uninstall sentinel. How can it reinstall with my fav lists already listed? Something not right in the programming. Please help!

kruser

Well Known Member
Premium Subscriber
How can it reinstall with my fav lists already listed? Something not right in the programming. Please help!
When you "read from scanner", your copy of Sentinel populated with the favorite list in the scanner you had hooked up when you hit read from scanner. It can happen very fast depending on the number of favorite lists you have.

w5acv

Premium Subscriber
When you "read from scanner", your copy of Sentinel populated with the favorite list in the scanner you had hooked up when you hit read from scanner. It can happen very fast depending on the number of favorite lists you have.
Thanks but you missed my point. I uninstalled the sentinel. It will NOT run the scanner now.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Thanks but you missed my point. I uninstalled the sentinel. It will NOT run the scanner now.
-
You'll need to be a lot more specific as to what is happening to get any meaningful answers.

Did you re-install Sentinel again? Did it install correctly? What exactly do you mean that it "will not run the scanner"? Are you seeing any error messages? If so, specifically what do they say?

Are you able to at least put the scanner into "mass storage" mode when connecting the cable to your computer?

w5acv

Premium Subscriber
Reinstall yes. Fav lists there and the scanner is scanning them. It does not receive any calls at all. Acts like no antenna. Connects to pc fine, yess mass storage. Something in the fav lists not working. Lists are on, chosen. THANKS If I run the scanner WITHOUT the fav lists, by clearing user settings on the sd. Then scan with zipcode. Works great. So scanner is good. Sentinel bad!

Last edited:

donc13

Premium Subscriber
I purchased my #3 SDS100. Other two running fine, sentinel fine. #3 arrives, quick connect, fav lists, all good. So I realize I have a "better/newer" laptop, download sentinel, on it, connect #3 to it, "write from scanner". NOTHING. So I reformat sd card, and erase user settings, and run from zipcode. ALL GOOD. So the sentinel software is not working anymore. The orig sentinel/laptop is gone. To reiterate- sds100 will not run from my fav lists on sentinel. The scanner LOOKS like it will, shows systems, depts etc. Nothing received ever. I tried to uninstall sentinel. How can it reinstall with my fav lists already listed? Something not right in the programming. Please help!
Did you add THE..NET feature on your new laptop?

teknishun

Premium Subscriber
If I understood your message correctly, you did a "Read From Scanner" on your new scanner #3?
No telling what was already in that scanner or how it was configured. A possibility is that all the
"service types" are disabled by default in the new scanner.

You can obtain and install Sentinel again to your laptop. Take one of your working scanners and do a
"Read From Scanner" on that one. NOW connect the new scanner #3 to the laptop and do a
"Write To Scanner" and be sure to check the Force Write box. Sentinel should now write back into
scanner number #3 and it should then be the same as your older one.

Is your "better/newer" laptop Windows 11? I remember at one time Windows 7 and Windows 10 had
to be configured to "Install Unsigned Drivers" in order to get the pc and the usb cable and the scanner
to all play well together. Just some thoughts.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Yes cause it wouldn't download without it
Did you check in device manager to see if a USB device "connects" when you plug in the SDS? did you look under COM ports that the computer actually loads the driver and that you get a new "drive" attached, visible in explorer after the sds is plugged in?

rrobinso84

It's important to note that the "Favorite Lists (FLs)" on any given computer running Sentinel are "singletons." This means there is just one copy of the Favorites for any instance (of a scanner or on a computer running Sentinel). When the OP "read from scanner" from Scanner #3, he indeed did OVERWRITE all the FLs on the computer with the list from the new Scanner. So to get back to what Scanner #1 or #2 had, reconnect to one of those and "read from scanner" once more to re-establish the FLs from a known source.

This tripped me up for weeks in Sentinel. I thought I could just save profiles with different FLs in them and manage them all as unique items, but that isn't how it works. Sentinel's file structure mimics the scanner's file system, and the scanner treats FLs as a "master database", so no matter how many Profiles you have saved in Sentinel, they all reference a common database of your FLs.

Another hint here is that Sentinel will not allow you to run multiple copies of itself--it checks when you launch it to see if it is already running, and if so, just puts you back into that instance of the software. This confirms it can only work with one set of FLs on your computer.

w5acv

Premium Subscriber
So i have 2 other sds100's. Run fine. Same fav lists on each, some on/some off. Should I connect one of them and read from scanner to the new laptop? Are you SURE 1000000% that it won't destroy that scanner lol? A read from scanner won't change the scanner?? Please confirm! It's killing me!!!!!!!!

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
So i have 2 other sds100's. Run fine. Same fav lists on each, some on/some off. Should I connect one of them and read from scanner to the new laptop? Are you SURE 1000000% that it won't destroy that scanner lol? A read from scanner won't change the scanner?? Please confirm! It's killing me!!!!!!!!
Reading from the scanner into Sentinel does not change anything on the scanner.

rrobinso84

Agree with fxdscon--reading from the scanner will not change anything on it. It WILL, however, update the FL database on your new laptop and synchronize those FLs with whichever scanner you read from. Note: Your Scanners #1 and #2 have THE SAME FL DATABASE, because you used your OLD laptop to program them both, right? When you add Scanner #3 to the family, after reading in an older one, then WRITE to Scanner #3 and it will get the same FLs as your other two. The "on/off" settings come from different PROFILES in Sentinel, but ALL scanners will share the same list of Favorites if you program them from the same laptop. Good luck!

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber

Just to add to the confusion..
It's possible the #3 SDS has the CSJ issue out of the box, Thus rx's nothing. (Is it new or used?)

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber

Conversely, reading an 'empty' scanner into an already-populated Sentinel, does not erase the favorites lists are already in Sentinel. It would, however, overwrite any profile information.

When I got radio #2, I read radio #1 first, then did a write to scanner to #2. Worked like a charm.

w5acv

Premium Subscriber
Well, I tried. Connected #2 to sentinel, read from scanner. Unconnected, all ok with #2. Connected #3 to same sentinel as mentioned here, write to scanner. Looks EXACTLY like #2. Colors, settings, fav lists. etc. NOT RECEIVING anything, as it sits next to #2. I am lost in space now!! Again, appears to be receiving, but it is not.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Well, I tried. Connected #2 to sentinel, read from scanner. Unconnected, all ok with #2. Connected #3 to same sentinel as mentioned here, write to scanner. Looks EXACTLY like #2. Colors, settings, fav lists. etc. NOT RECEIVING anything, as it sits next to #2. I am lost in space now!! Again, appears to be receiving, but it is not.
At this point, does scanner #3 still receive ok using the zip code scanning of the master database and not using the favorites lists?

Status
Not open for further replies.