SDR# TETRA Demodulator Trunk Tracking Demonstration

RMW1010

Is TSSDR or TTT or AOR DV1 and DV10 registered on the network to receive or show/use traffic information?
You were speaking of a TETRA handheld with receive only firmware. As Ubbe wrote every TETRA terminal needs to register on the network.

Do you have this receive only firmware for a TETRA handheld? I doubt it, so stop spreading false info.

oz1jua

No idea, do you?

Sorry to say. I have a AOR DV10 and it does not give any information about Talk Groups (GGSI), Radio ID (ISSI) and it do not show LA or Color Code either. And this receiver with latest firmware 1912A you can set Time Slot 1-4. But I do not se what this is for ?
Better use Auto like TTT. This receiver works only fine for 10-15 minutes, after that it goes crasy. Even base station
that I can hear fine in TTT do not received by DV10. Absolute crap in my opinion.
I have try the more expensive AOR DV1 and this seems to work better but still no information about GSSI or ISSI.
But I have also head about a firmware that is only used for receiving but I have never seen this.
I was wondering if it is a setting you can set if you have Tetra CPS Plus DEPOT software and not a special firmware.
Normal you can set radio Talk groups to receive only. But it will still try to register before it can be in use.

hamradionl

@oz1jua
"But I have also head about a firmware that is only used for receiving but I have never seen this"
DV1, DV10 or S200 used as example that not need to register to network for using as receive only (TX off). We do it all the time using TSSDR, TTT or DSDplus so its possible :) Sorry, there is little "itchy" for now let it pass, later when the stress for flu is over and the body temp is down, thanks :)

Erik211

Normal you can set radio Talk groups to receive only. But it will still try to register before it can be in use.
I suppose there are special FW versions for monitoring purposes, but probably guarded like a treasure. In theory it should not be too tricky to tell a terminal to follow a certain ISSI (ie to "pretend" to be an already logged in terminal, without demanding confirmation of registration on the network - i.e. no TX at all). But it would only work if the receive only terminal is on the same site as the terminal it is emulating of course.

Even base station that I can hear fine in TTT do not received by DV10. Absolute crap in my opinion.
I have try the more expensive AOR DV1 and this seems to work better but still no information about GSSI or ISSI.

My understanding as well. This is why I want to use TTT instead. Again I must say THANK YOU @thewraith2008 for this great application! In my case I want to listen to groups in a huge TETRA system, with thousands of users and hundreds of talk groups. There is no way I can filter out the wanted talkgroups with the DV10 or DV1, but it works great with TTT. At the same price tag as the AOR receivers, I could buy many Airspy Mini's and set up monitoring of multiple sites.

I don't know what this zello is. Or what it does or your requirements to stream to a remote device.

Zello is a push to talk application, so that your IOS/Android device works like a walkie talkie. It has a structure of channels, talk groups and users. The reason why I wanted to use this is that it will only interupt other sound if the there is a transmission. So for example my mobile device can be in sleep mode, but once there is a transmission in Zello it would break through. If I set up monitoring of multiple sites, I could also have these on different channels or groups in Zello, so that I could switch easily from the mobile. There might also some other PTT apps that would work better in my case. Thanks for the tips anyway, I might very well try that solution too.

Ubbe

I was wondering if it is a setting you can set if you have Tetra CPS Plus DEPOT software and not a special firmware.Normal you can set radio Talk groups to receive only. But it will still try to register before it can be in use.
No such receive only, monitor mode in depot cps. You'll need to use a special dongle, shipped by curier, and be online to M server to use depot but still no way to monitor without being detected in the tetra system. It needs to be a hacked firmware that fools the code that it always gets the proper acknowledment to every registration attempt, but the actual transmit function are totally disabled.

Most systems have a function that when a mobile tetraterminal starts a scanlist with TG's it will transmit that list to the system and those TG's conversations will be sent out on the site that the radio are currently registrated to, if there are free timeslots on the site. If that function doesn't exist in the system then you are passivly scanning TG's without knowing if they actually will be sent out on the site.

/Ubbe

Iber

I don't think this is a bug but rather a system specific issue.

Some where have this problem awhile ago, see this post here for a possible solution.

Since I'm not able to reproduce the error I'm not able to investigate it further.

Latest version (v1.7.1.0) can be found here: Release post

I changed from MME Virtual Cable to Directsound Virtual Cable, it's now recording calls. The problem was MME. Thanks for the help.

thewraith2008

I changed from MME Virtual Cable to Directsound Virtual Cable, it's now recording calls. The problem was MME. Thanks for the help.
Happy the solution worked for you.

Can you let me know what virtual audio cable program you use:
  • Is it "Virtual Audio Cable" (here) - This is what I normally use without issue.
  • Or is it "VB-CABLE" (here)
This may help to know this.

Iber

Can you let me know what virtual audio cable program you use:
  • Is it "Virtual Audio Cable" (here) - This is what I normally use without issue.
  • Or is it "VB-CABLE" (here)

It is VB-Cable, haven't tried the other one yet so I don't know if it's better.

I'm not even sure about the difference between MME and DirectSound.

thewraith2008

It is VB-Cable, haven't tried the other one yet so I don't know if it's better.

I'm not even sure about the difference between MME and DirectSound.
Thanks for the reply.

I have just tested with VB-CABLE using "[MME] Cable Input" with the following with no issues:
  • Windows 7 Pro - 32 bit
  • Windows 10 - 64 bit.
  • SDR# 1700 and SDR# 1732
I really can't think of anything else as to why MME works for some people and not others.
I still think this is a system specific issue. What that issue actually is, is anyone's guess.

Do you use a Desktop/Laptop/Tablet PC and what version of Windows 10 are you using. (Home, Professional, Other?)

mrscanner2008

Thanks for the reply.

I have just tested with VB-CABLE using "[MME] Cable Input" with the following with no issues:
  • Windows 7 Pro - 32 bit
  • Windows 10 - 64 bit.
I really can't think of anything else as to why MME works for some people and not others.
I still think this is a system specific issue. What that issue actually is, is anyone's guess.

Do you use a Desktop/Laptop/Tablet PC and what version of Windows 10 are you using. (Home, Professional, Other?)

me to having frequent freeze when recording audio. I have Intel I7 laptop with 8gb of ram, Windows 10 64 bit, SDR#1732 and when I start TTT with recording, it freeze immediately, even when no communication. If I uncheck recording, TTT work wells for days without freezing.

thewraith2008

me to having frequent freeze when recording audio. I have Intel I7 laptop with 8gb of ram, Windows 10 64 bit, SDR#1732 and when I start TTT with recording, it freeze immediately, even when no communication. If I uncheck recording, TTT work wells for days without freezing.
So did you try the suggested solution?

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Do you have this receive only firmware for a TETRA handheld? I doubt it, so stop spreading false info.

You don't need RX only firmware. Some TETRA terminals (and when I say some, I only know of the Motorola MTP700) can be programmed to scan a system talkgroup from a DMO channel. In that very limited circumstance, you can receive "RX Only". There are a pile of "gotchas" though, such as you can only receive the GSSI on the system, as that of the DMO channel you're on. You can also only have (IIRC) 8 DMO channels in the radio. So, you'd be limited to 8 talkgroups. It isn't a practical way at all to do it, but not impossible.

RMW1010

You don't need RX only firmware. Some TETRA terminals (and when I say some, I only know of the Motorola MTP700) can be programmed to scan a system talkgroup from a DMO channel. In that very limited circumstance, you can receive "RX Only". There are a pile of "gotchas" though, such as you can only receive the GSSI on the system, as that of the DMO channel you're on. You can also only have (IIRC) 8 DMO channels in the radio. So, you'd be limited to 8 talkgroups. It isn't a practical way at all to do it, but not impossible.
Wouldn't you still need to register on the network and authenticate on it (valid ISSI, TEI, K-key)?

oz1jua

Wouldn't you still need to register on the network and authenticate on it (valid ISSI, TEI, K-key)?

No then it is not Receive only !
But how this is possible I do not know. As I know, scan DMO is not possible. And if the radio has
to be on a DMO channel then is this on the Download Channel ?
And what is the TMO channel settings. Does it has to be the GSSI also or is this only set in DMO ?

Ubbe

I've never seen that in any Motorola tetra CPS. Are you supposed to program a system TG, a control channel frequency of a site you can reach and the systems ID in the DMO function? How would it be technically possible to do this even if you registrer to the system? What do you mean by scanning a system TG from a DMO channel? A tetraterminal doesn't do any system functions in the DMO functions. Are you thinking of a Gateway function that a tetraterminal can be registrated to the system and to a system TG and then link that to a DMO TG for others to use?

/Ubbe

RMW1010

There are a pile of "gotchas" though, such as you can only receive the GSSI on the system, as that of the DMO channel you're on.
Sorry, but this doesn't make sense. DMO has no system infrastructure. Or do you mean MCC and MNC of DMO Talkgroup needs to match TMO?

You can also only have (IIRC) 8 DMO channels in the radio. So, you'd be limited to 8 talkgroups. It isn't a practical way at all to do it, but not impossible.
MTP700 can have 208 DMO Talkgroups

I just had a look in the MTP700 CPS.
Can you tell me where to set it up?

Iber

Thanks for the reply.

• Windows 7 Pro - 32 bit
  • Windows 10 - 64 bit.

It's a gaming desktop PC using Windows 10 Pro. It's probably messing the ROG Audio drivers someway.