The Official Thread: Live audio feeds, scanners, and... wait for it.. ENCRYPTION!

BinaryMode

Does anyone have a sample letter they could share that you have written to the local authorities about encryption concerns. I really need to send a letter to my local law enforcement, but not sure what it should say!

Also, is there any benefits of writing to county commissioners vs law enforcement?

Try ChatGPT. Just specify what you need and it'll spit something out. Then edit to your liking. You may have to regenerate a few times if you don't like the generated output.

My first thought would be yes, because the commissioners control the purse strings.

Yeah, the law enforcement department will just laugh. I tried that routine already. Got the same run around about "officer safety."

sonm10, you should state in your letter to the effect that TAC channels NEED to be encrypted, but dispatch shouldn't. And should be open to the public not only for transparency, but for public safety concerns. This is why Orange country fire reversed their decision on encryption. You get an earthquake or a nuclear melt down or something and it's kinda nice to know what's going on. Especially the Press room. Or at least provide a feed to Broadcastify with a 5 minute delay.

Last edited:

jthorpe

Yup, quite right until the Chinese crack upcoming 512 with our own equipment and sell the radio's for $25 here. Don't believe it? Look what they've done already.
What does that have to do with police departments giving up encryption?