• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS3000 What is needed to program a Motorola XTS 3K?

Cashanova48

GMRS callsign WSAF780
Is there anyway to see what the firmware is on the radio via the screen?

Cashanova48

GMRS callsign WSAF780
IIRC.....upon power up, rapidly press i believe its the top soft key 7 or 8 times and it will go into service mode. don't quote me on if you can see the FW there
Thanks. I was also wondering if an aftermarket battery would work with an Impress charger. The battery that came with my 3K was engraved with "Expires 5/14", and the radio keeps dying on the charger.

Cashanova48

GMRS callsign WSAF780
I am wondering as far as cables and rib boxes goes, what is required to program a XTS 3K.

SetTheTone

Serial cable which goes from the radio into your DB-9 port on your computer. 3000 CPS is notorious for giving issues on newer computers, and it is fully suggested to run it on a 32bit OS. Usually, cheap tough books do the trick for this.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
You also need a 32 bit Windows XP /Vista/7/10 PC to properly run XTS3K/Astro Saber CPS. It won't run on 64 bit Windows anything.
The serial cable connects to your RIB, then you need the appropriate RIB to radio cable. Some people buy the rib-less cables and have varying luck with them.

Remember these are 25 year old radios. Nothing about them were plug and play and intended for end users to manage.

Cashanova48

GMRS callsign WSAF780
You also need a 32 bit Windows XP /Vista/7/10 PC to properly run XTS3K/Astro Saber CPS. It won't run on 64 bit Windows anything.
The serial cable connects to your RIB, then you need the appropriate RIB to radio cable. Some people buy the rib-less cables and have varying luck with them.

Remember these are 25 year old radios. Nothing about them were plug and play and intended for end users to manage.
Thanks. Do you know if that Radio to RIB cable has a specific name that I should search for?

Cashanova48

GMRS callsign WSAF780
Thanks for the help. I have an old computer running Windows Seven I'll be able to repurpose for this. I was wondering what brand has generally good Impress replacement batteries before buying one.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thanks for the help. I have an old computer running Windows Seven I'll be able to repurpose for this. I was wondering what brand has generally good Impress replacement batteries before buying one.

Power Products.

But, seriously, listen to these guys. Before you blow money on a new battery for a radio that old, look closely at your other options. Sinking all this (new battery, old computer, cables, RIB, etc) into a radio that old might seem cool, but at the end of the day you've blown a lot of money on a radio that's 25 years old and probably in desperate need of a trip to the service monitor. Unless you have to have the "Motorola" nametag on the radio, or really need to have "CopSounds®", there are newer, better, more reliable radios out there that may do what you want.

Cashanova48

GMRS callsign WSAF780
Power Products.

But, seriously, listen to these guys. Before you blow money on a new battery for a radio that old, look closely at your other options. Sinking all this (new battery, old computer, cables, RIB, etc) into a radio that old might seem cool, but at the end of the day you've blown a lot of money on a radio that's 25 years old. Unless you have to have the "Motorola" nametag on the radio, or really need to have "CopSounds®", there are newer, better, more reliable radios out there that may do what you want.
Thanks, I'll look into some other options. Do you have any recommendations for reliable and rugged radios for GMRS?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thanks, I'll look into some other options. Do you have any recommendations for reliable and rugged radios for GMRS?

Yes. Kenwood TK-3180 in the 450-520MHz model. That model (and that specific model TK-3180 only) has the Part 95 certification that the radio needs to be legal on GMRS.

The radio has a nice LCD display and a lot of channel memory (512 I think).
The Kenwood KPG-89 is one of the easier programming softwares to learn, much, much, much, much, WAY more intuitive than Motorola. I really mean that. If it's your first time programming a commercial radio, you don't want to start with Motorola.

Lots of accessories out there for these radios.

The TK-x180 line of radios was "end-of-lifed" only a few years ago, so chances of getting a much newer radio is higher.

I used one as my shop radio for the few UHF systems I maintain for many years. A solid radio that's still going strong.

Cashanova48

GMRS callsign WSAF780
Yes. Kenwood TK-3180 in the 450-520MHz model. That model (and that specific model TK-3180 only) has the Part 95 certification that the radio needs to be legal on GMRS.

The radio has a nice LCD display and a lot of channel memory (512 I think).
The Kenwood KPG-89 is one of the easier programming softwares to learn, much, much, much, much, WAY more intuitive than Motorola. I really mean that. If it's your first time programming a commercial radio, you don't want to start with Motorola.

Lots of accessories out there for these radios.

The TK-x180 line of radios was "end-of-lifed" only a few years ago, so chances of getting a much newer radio is higher.

I used one as my shop radio for the few UHF systems I maintain for many years. A solid radio that's still going strong.
Thanks, I'll look around.