Status
Not open for further replies.

HWG

I have what I need to monitor the digital and DMR stuff. I also have a vintage piece just to have.

Now, what I am looking to find is the last best analog scanner that was offered before the digital days. Some criteria: 300+ channels, AM, FM-wide, and FM-narrow, 25 MHz - 1300 MHz, CTCSS/DCS. Will be used as a base desktop scanner.

Right now I am looking at the Uniden Bearcat BC-780XLT. Anything else out there? Other things I should consider for an analog scanner?

Last edited:

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Newer tech...the 780xlt won't take the newer narrow freqs that came about with rebanding years ago...
Try to put in 155.7525 and you get 155.7550

Last edited:
Reactions: HWG

HWG

Newer tech...the 780xlt won't take the newer narrow freqs that came about with rebanding years ago...
Try to put in 155.7525 and you get 155.7550

That is a big thing to consider. I guess I missed that in my research.

What does the 15X provide over the 15?

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Off the top of my head, and this is from reading old posts here on RR, audio is better on the X...it's more sensitive, but that may be purely a non technical observation...the original 15 had a funky headphone jack that broke often and muted the onboard speaker...
If you go the Wiki and look at both side by side, you'll see plenty...

danesgs

There will be many here who have favorites in this question. The op should look at GRE made radios they made for other manufacturers before Uniden came on the scanner scene full time. The early radios circa 1997 and later were superb analog radios. BC895XLT's etc. Handhelds like the Uniden 2500 and 3000XLT were 25-550 and 760-1300 so you get the full coverage and 400 channels. excellent sensitivity, 100-300 channels per second. GRE made radios for both Radio Shack and Uniden before Uniden got all their engineers. The combining of that alone ended up making the best scanners around. But for what is out there today and what is still going strong for analog, look at Rigpix and other sites and choose the radio with the best broadband coverage IMHO.

HWG

There will be many here who have favorites in this question.

That's the discussion I was hoping to start as a way to find things I might not have seen or thought about.

The early radios circa 1997 and later were superb analog radios. BC895XLT's etc.

I first started looking at a BC898T, which replaced the BC895XLT, but found the BC-780XLT to have a wider receive than both so that is why I started there until @mass-man brought up the issue with new narrow frequencies not being able to be entered.

Handhelds like the Uniden 2500 and 3000XLT were 25-550 and 760-1300 so you get the full coverage and 400 channels. excellent sensitivity, 100-300 channels per second.

Not looking for handhelds as this scanner will serve as a base desktop scanner. When I'm out and about, I have 2 amateur radio HTs and a handheld digital scanner that will cover everything needed.

danesgs

If the issue is being able to us 12.5 steps the 780XLT does that according to the Uniden specs. Copy wanting a base unit

N7OLQ

Scanning since '77
Premium Subscriber
I have the 780 (had 4 of them at one point) and two BCT15, and both are good. The 15 has a lot more little features and more memory. The 780 is a great scanner, but is right on the line for being an "old school" scanner. If you can get a great deal on a 780 go for it. The 15 is a little more flexible for a wider range of scanning tasks. The 15 is a great value new or used. One consideration is what software you want to use to program them with. There are a lot of great analog scanners like the Pro-2006, but without computer interface (which is why my Pro-2005 sits unused now). RF performance of many of the early GRE scanners was better than older Uniden scanners. My BCT15's seem to search MilAir band faster than my 780, but I have not done anything too scientific to compare.

Reactions: HWG

a417

My BCT15's seem to search MilAir band faster than my 780, but I have not done anything too scientific to compare.
Both units report 100 channels/sec for speed, but i think the less sensitive receiver would be perceived as slower...imho.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
I see my confusion...it does not do the 12.5 steps in the 148-162 segment...the old high band range! Which is where I was trying it, not in UHF! Was trying to enter the VHF/narrowband mutual aid channels! Call me half wrong...😃

HWG

I see my confusion...it does not do the 12.5 steps in the 148-162 segment...the old high band range! Which is where I was trying it, not in UHF! Was trying to enter the VHF/narrowband mutual aid channels! Call me half wrong...😃

I don't see you as being wrong at all. The freq you were trying to enter was a VHF freq and it won't enter. Doesn't matter what steps UHF does. If there is traffic on the freq you used in your example and the scanner won't scan it, it isn't very useful.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Which does address your want that it does NFM...that it won’t! Or at least it would be very low volume...

Status
Not open for further replies.