BCD325P2 / BCD996P2 Major Improvement Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Well, that's a comparison I did already in that link. So if this update doesn't fix it, then we might basically back to square 0 on this issue.

Proscan now tracks Control Channel on DMR.. Including LCN and Frequency.. This should be a breeze now..

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Well.. Think I typed too soon.. It was showing the values I already had in the scanner... Changed all the LCN's to 0 and it stopped showing LCN and freq... My bad

JJMNIZ

BCD325P2 DMR Simplex - Yes or No

My BCD325P2 decodes DMR repeater systems just fine, but does not decode DMR simplex. The many suggestions on Radio Reference have been tried without success. Question - Does the BCD325P2 with firmware version 1.07.07 truly have the capability to decode UHF simplex DMR?

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
My BCD325P2 decodes DMR repeater systems just fine, but does not decode DMR simplex. The many suggestions on Radio Reference have been tried without success. Question - Does the BCD325P2 with firmware version 1.07.07 truly have the capability to decode UHF simplex DMR?
No it does not, this was issue being discussed on the beta firmware releases but for some reason uniden didn't acknowledge it and still isnt. I have a some PW and Maintenance ops around me using simplex. The only way I can hear them is to use DSDPlus. Uniden dropped the ball and released a public update to early if you ask me. Simplex should be the first hurdle they jumped since it seemed to be more of a issue. Hopefully we will see something in a future firmware update until then my suggestion is to buy into DSDPlus Fast Lane. You will be very happy with what you get for 25 dollars.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
We didn't ignore it. We gave some specific settings to improve simplex DMR receive (FM Bandwidth, manually adjust threshold) but due to the hardware design simplex DMR will never be 100%.

C

cebowman

Site P25 Manual Threshold is needed for many customers

Flexibility would be Manual P25 Threshold per System/Site, such as prior models have.

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
Why do you want to take away that feature or flexibility?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That wouldn't take away from the flexibility leave the feature just let us set the threshold once and be done like 436 does and it's a pretty easy setting to change if you leave your area. I have three simulcast sites that don't work with auto in my everyday travels they need to be set a threshold level of 6. Everytime I turn off the scanner I have to reset the threshold I would like it to hold at 6 until change it that way I wouldn't have to set it everytime I turn on the damn scanner.

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
We didn't ignore it. We gave some specific settings to improve simplex DMR receive (FM Bandwidth, manually adjust threshold) but due to the hardware design simplex DMR will never be 100%.
I know these are just scanners and not expensive two way radios but the opening the squelch and setting it to FM and trying every threshold doesn't work for me . I miss almost 90 percent of what what I can hear using DSD. And is it due to the hardware design of the scanner or of the trbo radios. I would gladly send my scanner in for a second paid upgrade if it is the scanner hardware. I have been loyal to uniden a very long time. Going back to the 296D (which was a awsome radio by the way!) But the current radios just have a incomplete feeling about them when feature like this don't work. I almost wish uniden would have stopped at p25 P2 because that works great. Trbo is just not performing how you would expect it to. It just feels like the scanner is incomplete when I try monitor some of the trbo around me. Maybe there will be updates in the future that correct some of the left over trbo bugs. The 325 and 996P2 are great scanners as well as the x36HP series it just kind of seems like Uniden didn't take the time to test these things before release. First there was the clock issue, then fading displays, and now DMR reception problems. In use my scanners mostly for p25 but when I heard DMR Upgrade I guess I just got my hopes up to high for full functionality of the DMR mode using the scanner. Nothing against you UPMAN I know you are on these boards helping and trying to rectify these things everyday. But I sank a little over two grand into scanners I thought were working and full featured. The 436 was missing a capacitor that attributed to its signal loss how does that just slip by before it goes to production. Also the siren app still doesn't work as advertised and HP series is missing features that were announced at the beginning before they were even released to the public. So yes uniden did drop the ball I was hoping these things would have been resolved waiting at least 3 to 4 years after they were released to buy them. But after all this time we still have the same issues. It's just a shame because the scanners have so much potential they just aren't living up to right now. But I stick by uniden and UPMan, I know you. I'm not starting a new relationship with whistler Wendy :)

milcom_chaser

That wouldn't take away from the flexibility leave the feature just let us set the threshold once and be done like 436 does and it's a pretty easy setting to change if you leave your area. I have three simulcast sites that don't work with auto in my everyday travels they need to be set a threshold level of 6. Everytime I turn off the scanner I have to reset the threshold I would like it to hold at 6 until change it that way I wouldn't have to set it everytime I turn on the damn scanner.

Ahhh got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJMNIZ

BCD325P2 cannot decode DMR simplex

Originally Posted by UPMan View Post
"We didn't ignore it. We gave some specific settings to improve simplex DMR receive (FM Bandwidth, manually adjust threshold) but due to the hardware design simplex DMR will never be 100%."

I am very happy with my BCD325P2, but am very disappointed that after purchasing the DMR Upgrade it became known that the radio cannot, and apparently never will, decode DMR simplex.

(FYI, using FM Bandwidth and trying every DMR Threshold value does not improve DMR simplex reception. Every so often one word is heard, but that's all.)

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I've been working on getting the local TRBO Cap+ system where I work set up in my 325p2. I have to say I'm pleased with the results. I'm 90% sure I have the LCN's right, as when I hold on a talkgroup, the display shows what I suspect to be the proper rest channel, and transmissions are missed infrequently. My earlier report of "Searching for Control Channel" was fixed by putting it in SCAN instead of SEARCH mode. (forehead slap)

I'm working on getting all the talkgroups named now, and have the important ones already figured out. At least in my case, the updated firmware helped A LOT in doing this.. Once I get it all hashed out I'll copy the data to my 996p2 in the truck just for kicks and see how well it works.

chaycock

Well, here's another big question. I keep getting an error and can't do the update.

"The operation has timed out."

Why would it time out? The update software has no problem detecting the scanner, so I know I've got the right COM port number. It actually starts off running and the two progress bars start running. But then about halfway through, it just stops suddenly and it gives this error:

35962696551_7d202d1707_o.png

I'm having the exact same problem. My COM port is a real one, not a USB/Virtual.
I have no problem at all running ProScan or other software that talks to the scanner.
Also, after the program quits, the scanner display is blank and blue. Power cycling the scanner brings it back to life but the firmware was not updated.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I'm having the exact same problem. My COM port is a real one, not a USB/Virtual.
I have no problem at all running ProScan or other software that talks to the scanner.
Also, after the program quits, the scanner display is blank and blue. Power cycling the scanner brings it back to life but the firmware was not updated.

Are you using a satellite based ISP such as HughesNet by any chance?

chaycock

Nope, no satellite. Also, it does not appear to be a download problem as the download phase completes and it is well into the "talking to the scanner" phase that bombs out.

Also, I have tried this on multiple scanners (I have five of them) and multiple computers with the exact same result.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.