BCD436HP / BCD536HP Repair Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc2kth

I've been checking status daily. Mine (436) was received and put in the queue on the 7th, no updates to the status since then. Can't wait to get it back!

Fireboat03

Pepsima1 Duplicate Account
Banned
Yes but looks like yellowish/white it is not bad as the 436hp tint.

Was your BCD536 radio part of the repair campaign and they repaired your display? Or is this a new batch of new 536 radios that you bought and the radio came with the new display?

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Was your BCD536 radio part of the repair campaign and they repaired your display? Or is this a new batch of new 536 radios that you bought and the radio came with the new display?

The 4/536 was the repair campaign and I didn't had no problems with the display on both. I didn't know they repaired it til I turn on both radios.

RepomanGP

Premium Subscriber
I have had my BCD996P2 in for repair because of the function knob was scrolling on its own when I was in the menu and my radio has been at Uniden for over 30 days now. Can't even find out the status on the radio either. They tell me that they are working on it. Whatever. I guess its just a waiting game.

My BCD996P2 has doing the exact same thing since pretty much the day I got it! It's very annoying. Funny, my 996XT, which is quite a bit older has held up very well and does not exhibit this behavior.

Is Uniden covering the repair of the knob under warranty?

RepomanGP

Premium Subscriber
Mine arrived today. New display which is actually worse than before. Color is an odd sickly looking blue with a greenish tint. Tried adjusting contrast and nothing made it better - Contrast setting around 12-13 seems to be best of the worst.

What's the process for sending it back after this "repair" was done? I mean the display wasn't great before but this is definitely worse.

Got my 436 back today and while I'm grateful for Uniden addressing the RTC issue, I have to admit, I think the tint and brightness of the display is worse than it was before I sent it in. The display now has a yellow/greenish tint to it now and perhaps that's why it doesn't appear as bright as it did before. I think the best way to describe the difference is the original LEDs had a cool color temperature and the new ones have a warmer color temperature. Contrast at 10 seemed to work best for me. Oh, and did I mention the display bezel has some new scuff marks on it (very minor though) and there's a couple dust specs on the inside of the bezel? Sigh...

Last edited:

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
While I wait for my two 436HPs to return, have brought out the old BC780XLT and PRO-2042 for a workout on analog. Those oldies still sound great on conventional analog. Ah, the good old days when scanning seemed so much simpler. Still, it is amazing how far scanner technology has advanced in the last 10-15 years to keep up with digital/trunking.

daveharpe

Got my 436 back today and while I'm grateful for Uniden addressing the RTC issue, I have to admit, I think the tint and brightness of the display is worse than it was before I sent it in. The display now has a yellow/greenish tint to it now and perhaps that's why it doesn't appear as bright as it did before. I think the best way to describe the difference is the original LEDs had a cool color temperature and the new ones have a warmer color temperature. Contrast at 10 seemed to work best for me. Oh, and did I mention the display bezel has some new scuff marks on it (very minor though) and there's a couple dust specs on the inside of the bezel? Sigh...

I think the most disappointing part of all of this is folks at Uniden apparently think this is acceptable. With this recall they could have FIXED this...or at least made it better. But they didn't. They made it worse.

Someone put this on a bench, ran the tests and said, "Yep, this is good to go!". Put it in a box along with a Uniden pen and sent it back to me.

Very sad.

Isaac-1

What would you have expected them to do a complete redesign on the display LCD replacing it with a more expensive higher contrast screen?

RepomanGP

Premium Subscriber
What would you have expected them to do a complete redesign on the display LCD replacing it with a more expensive higher contrast screen?

No, not at all. But I kinda DID expect it to be equally as nice and as easily readable as the one that was in there before. In my opinion, this one seems to be a little dimmer and has less contrast which makes it a little harder to read. If the original display was like that, I wouldn't have even commented. Surely, you can't believe taking a step backwards is a good thing.

Look, it's not a huge deal and I'm still very happy with the scanner. It was just my observation and I thought it was worth while mentioning, since others had the same observations.

daveharpe

The recall happened a year after the scanner came out. Those scanners are coming back with a different display than the original. New scanners are also apparently arriving with a different display. It appears to be worse than the original. It is worse with mine and several others here. Did they change suppliers? Just change the LEDs? Redesign something? Who knows.

But after the change - whatever it was - the folks at Uniden AGAIN said, "This is good enough to ship to customers."

That's very disappointing.

wise871

Database Admin
So I wasn't seeing things when I posted my 436 display looked off from from when I first sent it in. I agree, the new displays has yellowish tint and look worse. Not as easy to see as before. I am disappointed.

Attachments

• IMG_0214.jpg
    IMG_0214.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 648
Last edited:

Voyager

No doubt they changed the LEDs. They may have also changed suppliers. Maybe the reason it took so long was that they were trying to find a manufacturer who made the same color LEDs that would last, but could not.

So, the choice is to use the same ones that will fail again, or use the new ones that are a slightly different color.

And the criticism is that they used the ones not known to be subject to failure?

BTW, so far three pics have been posted to RR. Only one shows much of a yellow tint. The one above looks pretty good except for the one line which is likely in the process of refresh which a camera will often pick up. In fact, you can see the 'ghost' of the previous display on that line.

If it was more readable before, I don't understand why it was sent in for repair.

daveharpe

If it was more readable before, I don't understand why it was sent in for repair.
I sent mine in for the RTC repair. I made no mention of the LCD on any paperwork. This was done by Uniden without me asking for it. My guess is to fix the RTC they did a board swap which included the LCD. The keypad is also different so it was probably that whole assembly.

Theo

Premium Subscriber
I need to change the address when you all are ready to ship my scanner back. People are stealing packages and do not want my scanner stolen. Uniden how do I go about doing this?
Did Uniden ever answer you in regards to changing the shipping address? I need to change mine also.

Voyager

I sent mine in for the RTC repair. I made no mention of the LCD on any paperwork. This was done by Uniden without me asking for it. My guess is to fix the RTC they did a board swap which included the LCD. The keypad is also different so it was probably that whole assembly.

I think either repair involves changing the board, so requesting either gets both.

I guess the answer is that if you think you might not like the repair, don't get it. It's up to you to decide which is best for you.

troymail

Silent Key
I've been checking status daily. Mine (436) was received and put in the queue on the 7th, no updates to the status since then. Can't wait to get it back!

Mine was received on the 7th also - since then no change from "Received". So much for getting them in and turning them around....

With the complaints starting about the "improved" display, maybe they are busy looking for a solution to their solution....

Fireboat03

Pepsima1 Duplicate Account
Banned
The faster a company turns around their repairs that means they have a good system in place for their loyal customers. But since they are overloaded from people sending in their radios for repairs its going to take a couple of months probably.

This starts from the beginning with poor quality control and a poor design of the radio and hardware related problems. Trust me its haunting them right now.

omrail

Mine was received on the 7th also - since then no change from "Received". So much for getting them in and turning them around....

With the complaints starting about the "improved" display, maybe they are busy looking for a solution to their solution....

Same.

Voyager

This starts from the beginning with poor quality control and a poor design of the radio and hardware related problems. Trust me its haunting them right now.

Not if the LED manufacturer is paying for the fix...

Or the RTC battery manufacturer....

Or both.

If it were a QC issue, all models would be having issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.