BCD436HP / BCD536HP Repair Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

CQ

My Color

This is what I got back from them on Monday after a repair. I sent it in for RTC and they did the display although I never noticed since I run it at lowest setting or off.

Last edited:

kandrey89

Feed Provider
I've been procrastinating for a year in sending mine for repair, I used mine for CHP and bought a second one for replacement while I wait for repair, but I installed the second with local PD and have been running both in parallel in my car ever since. Was relying on it tonight to hunt for a felony suspect with local PD. Trying not to buy a 3rd one...
But this one that I need to send for repair has the RTC bug and the LCD looks horrible when the scanner is very cold, the contrast gets all screwed up! So the LCD with backlight plus RTC repair.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
There is not a specified "recall list" of serial numbers.

As Budd notes, if you do not have the dimming of the display, and do not have to be resetting the time/date frequently, then your scanner does not have the issues that prompted the repair campaign.

Your serial # indicates that your scanner was manufactured in 2016. During 2016, Uniden identified what components were causing these issues, and started the repair program. They also switched units being manufactured to the updated components, and those scanners should not develop the same issues.

can someone remind me which # in the serial denotes the year made? i bought mine used off an OP (like new) and he assured me it had neither issue. have had mine a long time and he was right, it does NOT have either issue. he had two, i wish i would have purchased them both. i love my 436. best scanner i have ever owned, going back into the 1970s. i own and use ALL scanners i write about in the forums.

WoodburyMan

I have a Home Patrol II scanner. I am having the EXACT same problem as this recall. Anyone else with a Home Patrol II have this issue? Since they're similar hardware, it's not to unreasonable to think these were affected as well.

Sanscanman

N5WRF
Premium Subscriber
Good Evening,

I tried searching the thread for this info, but it did not yield the desired results.

My question:

Is there a way to convert the S/N listed in the 436's Firmware info screen to the S/N required by the registration page for the repair campaign?

The serial on the back of my unit has rubbed off.

Thank you

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Good Evening,

I tried searching the thread for this info, but it did not yield the desired results.

My question:

Is there a way to convert the S/N listed in the 436's Firmware info screen to the S/N required by the registration page for the repair campaign?

The serial on the back of my unit has rubbed off.

Thank you

Replace the "260" in your ESN in the scanner's info screen with the letter Z to get the serial number on the external tag.

For example: 37926038001234 = 379Z38001234

WoodburyMan

I have a Home Patrol II scanner. I am having the EXACT same problem as this recall. Anyone else with a Home Patrol II have this issue? Since they're similar hardware, it's not to unreasonable to think these were affected as well.

Bump. Anyone else with a HPII with this issue?

Man I feel like HPII owners get left out. Same issues, no extended warranty support.. and no DMR upgrade..

epilab

Premium Subscriber
Have to return just received repaied displayed

Repaired display
Just received back my bcd536 for fading display issues. Just talked to customer service as it appears it must go back as the display is difficult to see the words. Question if the repair was inspected. it appears it will be the middle of next week for getting the label and about another two weeks for service.The display is off white which looks good. However the contrast cannot be adjusted to read easily. I was pleased with the repair time but question if any one looked at the unit following the repair. Curious if anyone else has had a issues with the repaired display
Thanks

marksmith

Repaired display
Just received back my bcd536 for fading display issues. Just talked to customer service as it appears it must go back as the display is difficult to see the words. Question if the repair was inspected. it appears it will be the middle of next week for getting the label and about another two weeks for service.The display is off white which looks good. However the contrast cannot be adjusted to read easily. I was pleased with the repair time but question if any one looked at the unit following the repair. Curious if anyone else has had a issues with the repaired display
Thanks
My display had faded to black, snd,was lier ally not useable. It also had the battery issue.

It faded to black in a year, do during 2014/basically.

Once the campaign started I requested the shipping and scheduling and sent it off. Ablution 3-4 weeks including ship times.

Came back with everything working and the whitish screen compared to the original. It is a brighter screen than the original and to me (60+) it's easier to read.

I leave the brightness in the middle, which is sufficiently bright in the daytime, with contrast around 9. As long as it is st least at full arms length away from me, I can read it all perfectly without glasses. And I am using the mode that has more smaller text lines. Any closer, I would need glasses, but it is very readable at its current position.

I should also note it has been 3-4 years now I guess since the repairs and the radio has been on 24/7. It stays on continuously. The display is as bright and readable as the day it came back.

I am sure once you finally get the radio bsck, you will be happy with the screen.

(This was the 536 - I also have a 436 thst runs continuously but screen has not faded yet. I got it later so maybe after problem)

Mark
536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

epilab

Premium Subscriber
Thanks

The brightness of the screen is good..... but I hope something went wrong during repair as I look forward to it being corrected. In the sun almost unreadable. Fortunately I have a 996 as a back up. Thanks for the info as to what it should be. My eyes are good even though I more years on then you

gillham

Feed Provider
For those who have sent their scanners in for repair - remain vigilant on it's return.
Luckily for me, I'm signed up for UPS MyChoice - so I received notification that the unit was en route back to me. However, it was missing my Unit number. Since I pay for UPS MyChoice, I was able to 'deliver it to another address' - my own, just with the unit number.

I peeled off the UPS relabel, and verified on the original label that the Unit number was missing, and the wrong phone number is on the label. I can't imagine what would've happened if the package went missing.

CORN

Premium Subscriber
This may have been covered but I can’t find it, I just received my BCD436HP this morning (Sat 3/17) and after a couple hours it hit on a DMR freq and guess what? A JACKHAMMER SOUND! ! My DMR and Pro Voice upgrades have been wiped out! Please tell me this is an easy fix.

mule1075

Feed Provider
This may have been covered but I can’t find it, I just received my BCD436HP this morning (Sat 3/17) and after a couple hours it hit on a DMR freq and guess what? A JACKHAMMER SOUND! [emoji35]! My DMR and Pro Voice upgrades have been wiped out! Please tell me this is an easy fix.
Deleted read post below.Thought I read to reenter the upgrade keys guess I was mistaken.

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I have never heard of such an event. Once the keys are entered, there is no way for them to be removed.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
This may have been covered but I can’t find it, I just received my BCD436HP this morning (Sat 3/17) and after a couple hours it hit on a DMR freq and guess what? A JACKHAMMER SOUND! [emoji35]! My DMR and Pro Voice upgrades have been wiped out! Please tell me this is an easy fix.

Try checking the firmware maybe it reverted back before the DMR was put in

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.