BCD436HP / BCD536HP Repair Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Ok, I just caught that you meant when it came back from the repair. On the 436 the entire board is replaced. The new board won't have the keys installed. As mentioned, just re-enter the keys and it will be fine.

mule1075

Feed Provider
Ok, I just caught that you meant when it came back from the repair. On the 436 the entire board is replaced. The new board won't have the keys installed. As mentioned, just re-enter the keys and it will be fine.
Thanks for the clarification I was almost sure you had to re-enter the keys.

CORN

Premium Subscriber
Thanks all. Yeah I checked it and it was older firmware. Doing what was said above I’m back up and running. So glad Uniden saves the purchase orders when you sign into My Uniden. Thanks again.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
This may have been covered but I can’t find it, I just received my BCD436HP this morning (Sat 3/17) and after a couple hours it hit on a DMR freq and guess what? A JACKHAMMER SOUND! ! My DMR and Pro Voice upgrades have been wiped out! Please tell me this is an easy fix.

Make sure the firmware is updated, and re-enter the upgrade keys.

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
Is the "Clock Issue" the fact that the 436 never holds the time entered?

Every time I turn my 436 off and then back on later, the time needs to be re-set.

Is this the problem they fix?

If I send it in, will anything else be repaired that may require a repair?

Thanks.

kandrey89

Feed Provider
Yes, that's the problem they will fix. The RTC battery went bad and doesn't hold charge so the real time clock gets reset.
My screen was doing weird things in cold temperatures, bad contrast, and light was a bit dim, so I asked them to replace the LED screen and they did. I left a note in the shipping box about what's wrong with the radio.

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
Yes, that's the problem they will fix. The RTC battery went bad and doesn't hold charge so the real time clock gets reset.
My screen was doing weird things in cold temperatures, bad contrast, and light was a bit dim, so I asked them to replace the LED screen and they did. I left a note in the shipping box about what's wrong with the radio.

Thanks for the info. My clock doesn't hold the time at all.

The screen is kinda dim as well.

I have never tried the earphone jack, so I don't know if that works or not. I am not sure if the 436's had the earphone jack problem or not.

I "assume" they check for any of the known problems once you send it in ????

kandrey89

Feed Provider
I doubt they check for any kind of problems unless they are the obvious ones and even then I doubt it.

Never had earphone jack issues, 2 years of use.
Yes, clock does not hold time is the recall/repair issue.

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
I doubt they check for any kind of problems unless they are the obvious ones and even then I doubt it.

Never had earphone jack issues, 2 years of use.
Yes, clock does not hold time is the recall/repair issue.

Thanks.

My 436 definitely has the clock problem, and the display is dim even at the highest setting.

I'll check out the earphone jack to see if it works.

Then, I'll have to send in the unit for repair(s).

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks.

My 436 definitely has the clock problem, and the display is dim even at the highest setting.

I'll check out the earphone jack to see if it works.

Then, I'll have to send in the unit for repair(s).
The 'clock fix' entails the replacement of the main system board. Since the display components are mounted on that board, it's replacement will also take care of your dim display issue.

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
The 'clock fix' entails the replacement of the main system board. Since the display components are mounted on that board, it's replacement will also take care of your dim display issue.

Thanks !

That's good news.

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
Hi troymail.

What effect does the "missing capacitor" have on the unit?

Thanks.

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
UHF (~450 Mhz) noise/reception issue -- there is a missing capacitor on some units - I'm still using the copper tape on the battery door to overcome the problem.....

https://forums.radioreference.com/u...ion-issues-due-noise-battery-compartment.html

Thanks for the info.

I did some searching on the forum and found some posts that say the newest boards they swap out o the 436 for the RTC & dimming problem will have the capacitor already installed.

I hope that will be the case when I send in my 436 for the recall repair.

Regards.

troymail

Silent Key
Thanks for the info.

I did some searching on the forum and found some posts that say the newest boards they swap out o the 436 for the RTC & dimming problem will have the capacitor already installed.

Regards.

Agree - but it doesn't hurt to have them verify while it is there (more or less) on their dime. Mine have been back for repair campaigns but the capacitor problem isn't in one of those so it would cost me to send it in one way or another. Uniden has more or less (finally) acknowledged the capacitor issue but won't pay to repair their defect (at least not as a stand-alone issue).

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
Agree - but it doesn't hurt to have them verify while it is there (more or less) on their dime. Mine have been back for repair campaigns but the capacitor problem isn't in one of those so it would cost me to send it in one way or another. Uniden has more or less (finally) acknowledged the capacitor issue but won't pay to repair their defect (at least not as a stand-alone issue).

That's disappointing.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!

That has been the case for a year or more, given the sampling of units I've been inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.