Erie County P25 System

Status
Not open for further replies.

scnrfrq

Premium Subscriber
Is anyone using a Uniden SDS200 with this system? My 536's work just OK, and I really am not crazy about how they sound. I'm considering the SDS200, even with its reported problems. How does it sound to you with this system, and do you have any issues with the radio?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Is anyone using a Uniden SDS200 with this system? My 536's work just OK, and I really am not crazy about how they sound. I'm considering the SDS200, even with its reported problems. How does it sound to you with this system, and do you have any issues with the radio?
Theoretically the SDS200 should work better than the 536. But there are so many variables: the EFJohnson implementation of the P25 "Standard," the system design, tower site / antenna orientation wrt your listening location, structure of your building, etc. I own a SDS200 and I use it all over the Mid-Atlantic region and it performs flawlessly on Moto and Harris P25 systems. IMO, issues with the SDS200 are way overblown, but then people have their reasons...

My recommendation is to purchase the SDS200 from a major retailer like Walmart who accept returns within a reasonable period with no restocking fee. This way you can test the radio to see if it works in your situation, and you can return it if it is not satisfactory. I want to support small retailers, but some of them charge restocking fees on returns, which is a deal-breaker for me. Just make sure you buy it directly from Walmart, and not a Walmart Marketplace retailer.

scnrfrq

Premium Subscriber
I did hear Walmart was a good option. But this is what they show for returns now:

Return policy for Gova Deals
Return Within30 Days after item is delivered
Returnable to Store?Yes
A note from Gova Deals
We will issue a refund within 30 days from date received & must be returned in same condition as received including all accessories & manufacturer packaging. 15% restocking fee & deduction of shipping fees may apply
Walmart requires sellers to use minimum standards for item returns, but each seller has their own policy.

scnrfrq

Premium Subscriber
Is anyone else getting really annoyed about how the MPS squads just blast in much louder than any other transmissions? This occurs both when dispatched and when talking to the hospitals. I understand this is happening at the 911 Center too. I did hear testing a couple weeks ago, but nothing has changed. Seems like this wouldn't be that hard to fix!

I'm still using 536's, but I'm not sure the SDS 200's would sound any different for this issue. Has anyone bought an SDS scanner yet?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Is anyone else getting really annoyed about how the MPS squads just blast in much louder than any other transmissions? This occurs both when dispatched and when talking to the hospitals. I understand this is happening at the 911 Center too. I did hear testing a couple weeks ago, but nothing has changed. Seems like this wouldn't be that hard to fix!

I'm still using 536's, but I'm not sure the SDS 200's would sound any different for this issue. Has anyone bought an SDS scanner yet?
I don't think there would be any appreciable difference between the 536 and SDS re: this issue. Some users / TG can be louder than others. For example, on the MD FIRST, the state highway personnel *always* seem to be loud users compared to state police users - might have something to do with noisy vehicles, and people's natural reaction in those environments to raise their voices. And perhaps the audio levels are not adjusted consistently between user groups, dispatcher headset and mike differences, etc.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Typical for new systems to find dead spots where prediction models don't describe reality. I don't know the contract, but the vendor is likely to be footing the bill if this occurs before acceptance.

terryho

Feed Provider
Anyone know what talk group ID Government North might be, I hear some Fire /ems traffic being sent to there but am not receiving it?

Railbender

Premium Subscriber

500 1f4 TConneaut OH FDConneaut OH Fire Interop
501 1f5 TConneaut OH PDConneaut OH Police Interop
502 1f6 TMonroe Twp OH FDMonroe Twp OH Fire Interop
503 1f7 TCrawford Govt WCrawford Co Govt West Interop
504 1f8 TCrawford Govt NCrawford Co Govt North Interop
506 1fa TChautauqua Co NYChautauqua County NY Interop

terryho

Feed Provider
I thought maybe we had a govt north that we didn’t know of, seemed weird erie co.would use that as a tac channel.but might have been some involvement with Crawford co. Also heard radio testing on TG125 which isn’t listed. Don’t know what that is going to used for. Apparently they have room for expansion for other groups.

Railbender

Premium Subscriber
Sometimes one of the south county companies will respond to a call in Crawford Co. and go to one of their Government TGs.

scnrfrq

Premium Subscriber
I know I've asked about this before, but has anyone yet bought an SDS 200 for this system? If so, how well does it work?

Also, has anyone found any tricks to get their BCD536's to work well on the system? I've tried numerous back of set antennas. Some days they seem to work OK, and other days not too well. I'm in NW Millcreek. Very frustrating!

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I know I've asked about this before, but has anyone yet bought an SDS 200 for this system? If so, how well does it work?

Also, has anyone found any tricks to get their BCD536's to work well on the system? I've tried numerous back of set antennas. Some days they seem to work OK, and other days not too well. I'm in NW Millcreek. Very frustrating!
Not knowing exactly where you live (but let's say south of the airport where Google Earth plots Millcreek Township,) you are within 5 miles of 3 member towers of the Urban Simulcast cell - not ideal for a non-optimized radio. The Countywide Simulcast cell *should* work a little better for you, considering that one of its tower sites is significantly closer to you vs. other member sites of the Countywide cell. You could try a Yagi and aim it west slightly off bearing to the Fairview VFD tower to see if that helps with the Urban Simulcast reception. Otherwise, you know my answer.

scnrfrq

Premium Subscriber
Not knowing exactly where you live (but let's say south of the airport where Google Earth plots Millcreek Township,) you are within 5 miles of 3 member towers of the Urban Simulcast cell - not ideal for a non-optimized radio. The Countywide Simulcast cell *should* work a little better for you, considering that one of its tower sites is significantly closer to you vs. other member sites of the Countywide cell. You could try a Yagi and aim it west slightly off bearing to the Fairview VFD tower to see if that helps with the Urban Simulcast reception. Otherwise, you know my answer.
So if I just use the County site I'll still get all TG's? I'll try it to see if it works better. I do notice that the 2 536's on the 2nd floor sound better that the one on the first floor. I'm using telescoping antennas on all of them.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
So if I just use the County site I'll still get all TG's? I'll try it to see if it works better. I do notice that the 2 536's on the 2nd floor sound better that the one on the first floor. I'm using telescoping antennas on all of them.
I can't answer the question about what traffic is carried on each simulcast cell since I don't monitor it, and don't know its logical setup. I'm just looking at the physical system architecture.

Railbender

Premium Subscriber
We have been through this before. I am using 2 536, 2 436, 1 SD200, 2 HP2 & a Whistler 1098 to monitor the system and have NO PROBLEMS with any of them. 1 HP2 is mobile and has worked fine in every location in Erie County. Base antennas are a Larsen UHF on a 35 ft mast and a discone in the attic. I am in NW City of Erie. People with no experience with this system are quick to say simulcast distortion. I have yet to see that with the HP2 mobile from any location in Erie County.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The people who say they are having problems are probably having problems.

Railbender

Premium Subscriber
With 60+ years in radio communications as a vocation or avocation both civilian and military. A radio is only as good as the antenna you have connected to it. If a whip isn't working get a better antenna.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The OP *could* do this simple test. He could go mobile with his 536 with the stock antenna, and drive within .5 mile of one tower site of the Urban Simulcast. His reception will be perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.