SDS100/SDS200: Finally got my sds100 need some guidance on programming it.

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
when i first got the scanner i remember being able to hit function and 0 LVL and it would show gain in the bottom right of the screen i remember following the direction on google but now when i hit those buttons i don't get nothing. it's weird i know it's there because i seen it

There is no "gain" adjustment of any sort, be it audio or RF, on the SDS100.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
Did you read the post you linked? This is specific to the waterfall feature and as far as I know/can tell, not to do with regular scanning.
yeah i guess i missed it it was all the way at the bottom and when it starts out it says nothing about it only working in waterfall mode.

RMason

Premium Subscriber
well why does google say this? Link
Oh - you have jumped to the waterfall feature

From: https://www.uniden.info/download/ompdf/SDS200Waterfallom.pdf

RF Gain
The scanner’s RF Gain defaults to the recommended value of Automatic. This setting is
preferred and adequate in most cases. The user can adjust the RF gain by selecting
one of 16 available gain levels, numbered 0 through 15, or can choose Auto.

In an area with nothing but weak signals, the user may increase the RF gain in order to
receive more signals. In an area with very strong signals, the user may decrease the
RF gain to compensate. Be aware that changing the gain simultaneously affects the
strength of the background noise as well as signals.

NOTE: If you increase the gain too much in a strong signal or noisy environment, the
display will saturate and distort, making it impossible to obtain correct information.
To change the RF Gain setting, press the Function key and press the zero (“0”) key on
the keypad, which is marked 0 LVL. The setting is changed by turning the knob.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber

AngWay

Premium Subscriber

dmfalk

Ok great thank you i see it now...why are the single freq P25 sites called conventional isn't it digital
There are two types of channels in the SDS100: conventional (single channel) and trunked (part of a system). Either can be analogue or digital, or a mix of the two, depending on how it's used.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
There are two types of channels in the SDS100: conventional (single channel) and trunked (part of a system). Either can be analogue or digital, or a mix of the two, depending on how it's used.
Got it that's a great explanation ... what's your opinon on using the sds100 to listen to ham radio?

dmfalk

Got it that's a great explanation ... what's your opinon on using the sds100 to listen to ham radio?
Pretty good, with some caveats.....

1: It won't decode all voice modes. It will handle AM, FM/NFM, P25, DMR and NXDN, but not SSB, D-Star and other digital voice systems not already mentioned. Fortunately, much of the digital voice activity in the last couple years have been moving to P25, NXDN and most especially, DMR, and away from D-Star and others. FM/NFM can be heard from the 10m (28MHz) band upwards, with most activity in the 144MHz and 440MHz bands.

2: Can it receive the ISS? Yes. Just be mindful of when the ISS passes over. You might not always receive voice, depending on time of day, but you might hear the bips of the packet repeater! (I have!)

The local ham repeaters, and the ISS voice channel, are in the Sentinel database.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber

1: It won't decode all voice modes. It will handle AM, FM/NFM, P25, DMR and NXDN, but not SSB, D-Star and other digital voice systems not already mentioned. Fortunately, much of the digital voice activity in the last couple years have been moving to P25, NXDN and most especially, DMR, and away from D-Star and others. FM/NFM can be heard from the 10m (28MHz) band upwards, with most activity in the 144MHz and 440MHz bands.

2: Can it receive the ISS? Yes. Just be mindful of when the ISS passes over. You might not always receive voice, depending on time of day, but you might hear the bips of the packet repeater! (I have!)

The local ham repeaters, and the ISS voice channel, are in the Sentinel database.
That sounds awesome thanks

AngWay

Premium Subscriber

I have a freqs that is really really strong and it causes a overload on my radios and i have noticed it only works when i'm around that one freqs i was wondering could i turn the attenuator on for that channel on the sds100 to help that?

I never could do it with the dongels but the sds100 has the option so just wondering . Thanks

RMason

Premium Subscriber
I have a freqs that is really really strong and it causes a overload on my radios and i have noticed it only works when i'm around that one freqs i was wondering could i turn the attenuator on for that channel on the sds100 to help that?

I never could do it with the dongels but the sds100 has the option so just wondering . Thanks
Try the IFX feature, first. Otherwise, try the ATT feature.
Ok what is IFX? i googled how to turn it on and it said function and then 7 . is that all or do i need to be on a freqs or what?

Are you observing the affect of overload on the SDS100? I know you experienced it on the dongles.

On the sds100, you will apply either IFX or ATT to the channel/site that you believe is the victim of interference. You can either apply them from the keypad or through sentinel.

• Intermediate Frequency Exchange (IFX) - Changes the IF (intermediate frequency) used for a selected channel/frequency to help avoid image and other mixer-product interference on a frequency.
  • Attenuator (ATT) - This setting controls whether the scanner attenuates the Channel/Site by about 20dB