KSP Discussion Thread

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If you are approaching the point of desparation, you might try doing a frequency search using the lowest licensed KSP frequency and the highest licensed frequency.

You might even go as far as doing an FCC license search using KSP's Federal Record Number of 000407021 to determine those lowest and highest frequencies.

Lastly have you attempted scanning the listed frequencies without a specific NAC? They could have made a change in that.

bjizzle

If you are approaching the point of desparation, you might try doing a frequency search using the lowest licensed KSP frequency and the highest licensed frequency.

You might even go as far as doing an FCC license search using KSP's Federal Record Number of 000407021 to determine those lowest and highest frequencies.

Lastly have you attempted scanning the listed frequencies without a specific NAC? They could have made a change in that.
Are you referring to my question.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

ShawnCowden

The main KSP radio tech was at a comex meeting a few years ago and said the KSP talkgroups will be 100 percent encrypted. He said the main reason was because of the YouTube radio recording of the trooper who got shot and killed in western kentucky

Sent from my Z956 using Tapatalk

bjizzle

The main KSP radio tech was at a comex meeting a few years ago and said the KSP talkgroups will be 100 percent encrypted. He said the main reason was because of the YouTube radio recording of the trooper who got shot and killed in western kentucky

That will definitely put a damper on my feed.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
That is sad it come to that but that recording was a great tool to show how good of job the dispatcher did under the stress of that call that dispatcher did her job 100%. That could have also gone the other way if the shooter had gotten away and the public could have played a large part in locating the shooter but it is what it is.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Are you referring to my question.

Yes. KSP has a "core" set of frequencies and with planning and different NACs they can be used across the state. In other words 453.850 with NAC X could be used for 1A and 453.850 could be for 7B, etc.

So if the concern was a frequency change or perhaps NAC change, a search may reveal changes.

ShawnCowden

He did say he wanted it to be trunking system and tied into the Lexington and Louisville Metro and said other agencies were welcome to join it if they bought their own radios

bjizzle

Yes. KSP has a "core" set of frequencies and with planning and different NACs they can be used across the state. In other words 453.850 with NAC X could be used for 1A and 453.850 could be for 7B, etc.

So if the concern was a frequency change or perhaps NAC change, a search may reveal changes.
I have every frequency on the tower in my scanner all on search its hard to test since they hardly ever use the channel.

bjizzle

He did say he wanted it to be trunking system and tied into the Lexington and Louisville Metro and said other agencies were welcome to join it if they bought their own radios

I hope it is a statewide system and I hope it's not encrypted. It would make sense if they rented out spectrum to other agencies. Bowling Green police's system was bought by the city and they rent out the system to county SO, fire, and EMS. Helped with the cost of the new system.

ShawnCowden

I hope it is a statewide system and I hope it's not encrypted. It would make sense if they rented out spectrum to other agencies. Bowling Green police's system was bought by the city and they rent out the system to county SO, fire, and EMS. Helped with the cost of the new system.

He did say he would love agencies to give their frequencies up so it would help with maybe a vhf or uhf statewide system and in return every public safety agency can use it. That's why I am waiting on buying another radio.

bjizzle

He did say he would love agencies to give their frequencies up so it would help with maybe a vhf or uhf statewide system and in return every public safety agency can use it. That's why I am waiting on buying another radio.

Do you really think ksp's will be encrypted? Will that mean the local agencies may be encrypted too? One reason I bought a new scanner was that I knew they were going to have to get a new system I assumed they would go Phase II. I chose the Trx-2 over the uniden because two local agencies are Nxdn and the trx-2 already has the support. I figured I'd be covered with what ever system they went with, didn't consider encryption.

Last edited:

red8

Perhaps I could get some info on how to program the system in my 396T. I know it is not a trunked system. I would like to put in my scanner to listen to the next time I am up that way. If you can pm to me I would really appreciated.it. Many thanks red/

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Program it as you would any conventional system. Just be sure to set the audio type to Digital. Also program in all the frequencies for each post noting you may have several. (Generally each post has 2 frequencies "A" and "B" in each county).

VASCAR2

All the frequencies are listed for each particular transmitter site in the data base.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?inputs=1&aid=720#cats

You might also program the vehicular repeater frequency 154.665.

KSP uses 155.370 for point to point traffic as well as national interoperability 155.475 KLEEN.

KSP car to car and air to ground is 453.3000. (289 NAC)

Another air to ground frequency is 460.2500 (211 NAC).

I only programmed in the frequencies for Post 16 Henderson as I’m the closest to that post. There are only 16 post in the state and most of the frequencies are duplicated throughout the state. If you don’t enter the NAC you could probably program about 20 total frequencies and have coverage for the entire state. You can see how the frequencies are reused across the state by looking at the data base.