Status
Not open for further replies.

BananaPepper

Lewiston and Auburn

System Name:Lewiston and Auburn
County:Androscoggin
System Type:Project 25 Phase II
System Voice:APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive
Last Updated:November 2, 2020, 1:42 pm (Changed Site # 001 (Site 1) to 001 (Site 1))

Important Note

warning.gif

Some talkgroups on this system are using Project 25 Phase II TDMA modulation which can ONLY be monitored using a P25 Phase II compatible scanner.

Please visit the RR Wiki Project 25 page for additional information.
The following scanners can decode P25 Phase I, Phase II, and Motorola X2-TDMA systems.
Notes

2 Requires latest firmware update.3 Requires Whistler Official Upgrade (WOU).

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Database shows they switched to P25 Phase 2 as @BananaPepper said, using 856-857 MHz for channels, unfortunately there is no information on talkgroups yet and so we don't know if it is encrypted. There are a number of scanners capable of picking up the frequencies in the new trunked system, but until TGs are submitted we don't know if you will hear them.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hi fellow scannists,

My local (Lewiston, Maine) PD has gone from APCO 25 to what they’re calling an 800 system.
Is this encryption? Is there any scanner that can be purchased for an 800 system?
Thank you
Mark

APCO P25 is a digital radio common air interface. It, on it's own, doesn't mean anything other than how the voice/data is carried over the radio waves.

"800 system" likely refers to the frequency being used. It, on it's own, doesn't mean anything other than the frequency band they are using.

This page: Lewiston and Auburn Trunking System, Auburn, Maine - Scanner Frequencies
shows that they are slowly migrating to a P25 Phase 2 trunked radio system that is running on 800MHz band.

There is nothing on that database entry that shows the talk groups currently being used, so no one has researched the system enough to list anything.
It is -entirely- possible that at least some law enforcement talk groups will be encrypted. But, P25, Phase 2, 800MHz, etc, none of that -requires- encryption.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
Also if the system is a simulcast (which I do believe this system is a 4-5 site simulcast), you're more likely than not to have issues with the BCD325P on it.

marksmith

If the system is simulcast and phase 2, the SFS100/200 are the best radios to monitor.

If the entire system is encrypted no scanner can monitor it. Likely some channels will not be encrypted, but you will have to see those talkgroups not encrypted and decide if the cost is worth what you can hear.

ecps92

According to the on-going thread at
it is online for Testing, but not in actual use by any departments yet.

that said, until it begins to get used and users report if the TG's are Phase I or Phase II and ENC or not, it is all speculation, however it
would be strongly urged to go with a scanner that can do Phase II

Hi fellow scannists,

My local (Lewiston, Maine) PD has gone from APCO 25 to what they’re calling an 800 system.
Is this encryption? Is there any scanner that can be purchased for an 800 system?
Thank you
Mark

Hi fellow scannists,

Thank you
Mark

Hello Mark, I believe you just accepted my friend request on Facebook, and I think I know who you are. May I send you a message on Facebook messenger? I've also noticed that LPD and APD has gone completely silent, and have heard that they have changed to an encrypted format. I'll be looking for a way to remedy the blockage and would like to compare notes if that is alright with you. Besides FB messenger my email is Niceguyeddie2u@yahoo.com
If you'll be so kind as to reach out.
I hope you have an excellent weekend!
ML? Is it?
Thanks! 😎

""My local (Lewiston, Maine) PD has gone from APCO 25 to what they’re calling an 800 system.
Thank you
Mark""

Yeah? And get my very own handy dandy radio?? 😃
... well, most departments I hear are short on officers 🤔

ChrisPrue

Well, looks like the system is online and active for both Auburn PD and Lewiston PD as of this morning (see Sun Journal FB link below). Bad news though: both are fully encrypted.

I can confirm talkgroups 101 and 201 are both active and encrypted this morning. My guess, based on the fact that Auburn PD unit numbers were always 100-series and Lewiston PD were 200-series, that TG 101 is Auburn PD, and 201 is Lewiston PD, but that's just an educated guess.

Fire departments are still on VHF for now. Hopefully they're not encrypted when they switch over.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 7238582930

Krieger00

Premium Subscriber
Well, looks like the system is online and active for both Auburn PD and Lewiston PD as of this morning (see Sun Journal FB link below). Bad news though: both are fully encrypted.

I can confirm talkgroups 101 and 201 are both active and encrypted this morning. My guess, based on the fact that Auburn PD unit numbers were always 100-series and Lewiston PD were 200-series, that TG 101 is Auburn PD, and 201 is Lewiston PD, but that's just an educated guess.

Fire departments are still on VHF for now. Hopefully they're not encrypted when they switch over.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 7238582930
Yeah I’m not at all surprised. With all the action that happened in 2020 in Minneapolis during the riots and then later in NYC, I think PDs nationwide realized how exposed they were in terms of radio traffic. I’d expect most of them to go on tactical channels or full encryption as they either update or upgrade their systems. I don’t agree with it, but strategically it makes sense

ecrboats31

Premium Subscriber
There was a day and change window when the PD's first went live on the new system that the dispatchers were in the clear and only the field units were encrypted. During that window I was able to confirm TG 101 was Auburn PD and TG 201 was Lewiston PD.

sfd745

Reverend Higgy
Database Admin
Has anyone been able to get a confirmation that Androscoggin County SO is moving their complete operation over with L/A, or is this just the twin cities? I know there was a lot of discussion on this when the system was being designed but I haven't heard anything definitive on my end.

KB1VLA

Has anyone been able to get a confirmation that Androscoggin County SO is moving their complete operation over with L/A, or is this just the twin cities? I know there was a lot of discussion on this when the system was being designed but I haven't heard anything definitive on my end.
ACSO just built out a simulcast VHF system in the past few years, and the 800 system only seems to cover the L/A area so it wouldn't make sense for ACSO to join the system.

northstarfire0693

Premium Subscriber
ACSO just built out a simulcast VHF system in the past few years, and the 800 system only seems to cover the L/A area so it wouldn't make sense for ACSO to join the system.

Last when I checked with a friend in ASO is they will be using their own system, not the L/A system. They will have the ability to use the system for interop if needed.

I also understand that L/A PD will also have a VHF freq simulcasting traffic off the new system. Not sure on the freq.

Status
Not open for further replies.