BCasto

Premium Subscriber
Scanner view recovery after PC goes to sleep

After my PC comes out of sleep mode, my ProScan app is unresponsive. Windows says it is running. I have tried many things including restarting the app, turning off/on the scanner, changing the com port, and restarting the PC. None actually restores the ProScan app to work. It takes a full shut down and re boot of Windows 7 PE to get it working again. Am I missing something? Is there some ProScan or Windows command that can get it working again without a shut down and reboot?

Of course I could turn off sleep mode if that is the best option.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
After my PC comes out of sleep mode, my ProScan app is unresponsive. Windows says it is running. I have tried many things including restarting the app, turning off/on the scanner, changing the com port, and restarting the PC. None actually restores the ProScan app to work. It takes a full shut down and re boot of Windows 7 PE to get it working again. Am I missing something? Is there some ProScan or Windows command that can get it working again without a shut down and reboot?

Send me the bug report to support@proscan.org along with the ProScan.cfg file so I can try to duplicate the problem. That way I can send you test files until fixed. Here would be troubleshooting in the blind.

Bug Reports - Advise on the following:
Product (ProScan, Free Client, or RadioFeed):
Version:
Scanner type:
OS type:
Options pertaining to the bug:
Describe in detail what the bug is doing or not doing:

BCasto

Premium Subscriber
Bob, you are so generous with your time.. Thank you. This is an insignificant problem solved easily by turning off PC sleep mode. Keep doing what you are doing with the priorities you have. You don't need to chase down this little thing. You have a great product and I am very happy with it and the rate you add features / functions. I was asking just to see if there was something I overlooked. -- BC

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Bob, you are so generous with your time.. Thank you. This is an insignificant problem solved easily by turning off PC sleep mode. Keep doing what you are doing with the priorities you have. You don't need to chase down this little thing. You have a great product and I am very happy with it and the rate you add features / functions. I was asking just to see if there was something I overlooked. -- BC

Wait a minute now. You did report a problem. So at least you could do is help me fix it by testing.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
OK Bob. Email on the way. :)

Your email address is bouncing. Here is what I sent to you.

That's not the correct file needed. ProScan.cfg file is located in the ProScan folder. On a 64 bit system, the ProScan.cfg file is located in "C:\Users\user]AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\ProScan\".

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber

BCasto, I see in the email using a BCD996P2. It's the scanner driver that locks up. Power cycling the scanner should clear the condition. It's recommended on a BCD996P2 to use the rear RS-232 port in lieu of the USB connection to prevent computer sleep mode from breaking the communications.

BCasto

Premium Subscriber
Bob, thanks a bunch. Fortunately I have a PC card that provides 2 Serial ports via RS232. One is being used for an older BC780XLT and the other is free since I retired another older scanner. As you know, many PCs ship without a serial port. However, I have 2 BCD996P2 scanners..

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Bob, thanks a bunch. Fortunately I have a PC card that provides 2 Serial ports via RS232. One is being used for an older BC780XLT and the other is free since I retired another older scanner. As you know, many PCs ship without a serial port. However, I have 2 BCD996P2 scanners..

Use two USB to RS-232 converters and two null modem adapters and problem solved.

BCasto

Premium Subscriber
Never considered using the rear RS232 port, primarily because I thought it was dedicated to the GPS interface. Thanks for the great info.

N0TDL

I'm having issues with Proscan loading, windows keeps saying that program is not responding. If I do get the program to load after logging in to web import from RR I get a time out issue or "program not responding"

I'm on Windows 10

BCasto

Premium Subscriber
Oh snap, as my Aunt would say. Here is an update re. solving the Proscan / BCD996P2 disconnect when the PC goes into sleep mode.

Today I had the problem again and in a moment of frustration pulled the USB plug from the front of the BCD996P2. When I reinstalled it, the Proscan app returned to normal function. This prevented me from rebooting the system - a big deal to me. But I still need the RS232 cable rear attached to keep the app running when the PC is in sleep mode.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I'm having issues with Proscan loading, windows keeps saying that program is not responding. If I do get the program to load after logging in to web import from RR I get a time out issue or "program not responding"

I'm on Windows 10

I would do some troubleshooting such as installing ProScan in a new folder and see what happens. If normal then use the previous config file and restart to see if it does the same thing. Copy all the data files over to the new folder and restart to see if does the same thing.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Oh snap, as my Aunt would say. Here is an update re. solving the Proscan / BCD996P2 disconnect when the PC goes into sleep mode.

Today I had the problem again and in a moment of frustration pulled the USB plug from the front of the BCD996P2. When I reinstalled it, the Proscan app returned to normal function. This prevented me from rebooting the system - a big deal to me. But I still need the RS232 cable rear attached to keep the app running when the PC is in sleep mode.
Don't let the computer go to sleep. Change the power settings to high performance.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

plaws

Premium Subscriber
Understood (at least after I actually downloaded the software). Not as useful to me if I can't replace Sentinel+Freescan+ARC780. The remote interface sure is nice, though.

When we last checked in, there was less-than-full support for the BCDx36HP scanners ...

Hi. Still looking to replace the various packages I use with The One True Scanner Control Package. I've since traded one of my 996XTs for a 996P2 and Freescan only sort-of supports the P2 radios. Still have my BC780XLT and still use it, on a rebanded system, even. So I'm really hoping Proscan has added full BCDx36HP support so I can use One Ring To Rule Them All.

As an aside ... the author of Freescan seems to have moved on like so many good radio software authors. bcTool was great, but the author moved on. AVC396 only supported one model and didn't manipulate channels but was great for monitoring - author moved on. So sad. I wish those authors would at least put their code under an open-source license so that others could tinker with the code. Alas ...

RK3AAG

Dear Bob!

Small but report.

Recording works improperly when PRI mode is ON and you're using Custom Search. ProScan mixes up filenames, adds other (from Custom Search freqs) voice traffic to PRIORITY channels files, and doubles some voice fragments in the same files.

How to reproduce. Create one conventional System with one Zone and one Group in it. Add a few conventional channels with heavy voice traffic, 2 channels are enough. Set PRI and PRI checkboxes for these channels. Enable Priority Scan in General settings and set PS Interval to 2 o 3 seconds. Program scanner and enable Custom search by QKs. Let it record many conversations and just listen to files from PRI channels.

Any BCT scanner affected. Windows 7 64 bit. Most current ProScan version (12.2). Each Transmission in New Row is enabled in recorder, if it matters.

Last edited:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
ProScan 12.3 Release

What's New In Version 12.3
  • Added - Lockout and Temp Lockout added to the Resume Scan / Search function.
  • Added - Mute all instances with a click of the Speaker Icon.
  • Added - Mute selected instances using the Sessions Manager.
  • Added - Metadata File option to read all lines, 1st line, & last line.
  • Changed - Notch Filter from 4000 to 6000 Hz maximum.
  • Fixed - Source Client Stream Name text box wasn't showing when set to Broadcastify.
  • Fixed - C-Ch Output wasn't showing P25 and DMR messages.
  • Fixed - Remote Scanner Over IP Client intermittent mp3 audio break up.
  • Fixed - Database FTO grid wasn't saving or uploading the Record column.
  • Fixed - When Sorting the History, UID, FTO, & Recorder logging grids using two columns to sort, the previous column sort direction wasn't working.
  • Many more small improvements.
ProScan supports the BCT15, BCT15X, BC250D, BC296D, BR330T, BC346XT, BC346XTC, BCD325P2, BCD396T, BCD396XT, BCD436HP, BCD536HP, BC780XLT, BC785D, BC796D, BCD996T, BCD996XT, & BCD996P2 scanners.

ProScan is the most powerful and feature rich scanner software in this world !!!

Made in the USA

Last edited:

CanesFan95

Just got the update and added a notch filter of 4800 Hz. This completely removes any EDACS "peap" at the end of transmissions and makes it sound so dang clean JUST like a professional radio. Thanks.